Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 06:15 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,303,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Estimated earliest dates for states to relax social distancing. Florida is in the latest group.
COVID-19 estimation updates | Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation

This is from The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.
This "map" is not granular enough.

As is the case with other States, Florida is not a unit, more like five or six different regions of counties and individual counties. But I would agree that southern Florida (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) will be among the last to lift restrictions, some time between June and August would be okay by me personally, and that only under certain conditions.

Today seems to be shaping up as a bad day in terms of new officially recorded cases, it's a bumpy road.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 06:54 AM

25,716 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
This "map" is not granular enough.

As is the case with other States, Florida is not a unit, more like five or six different regions of counties and individual counties. But I would agree that southern Florida (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) will be among the last to lift restrictions, some time between June and August would be okay by me personally, and that only under certain conditions.

Today seems to be shaping up as a bad day in terms of new officially recorded cases, it's a bumpy road.

Good Luck!
I couldn't agree more. This map is useless. There are still 9 County's in Florida w/ <5 cases. Then, there's Miami-Dade that has 1/3rd of allFlorida cases. This is why I agreed with DeSantis not shutting down the entire state until later on (April 3rd). I still don't think it should all be shut down (until April 30th).

I hope the Governor keeps the shutdown in effect for hot spots, and opens it up everywhere else, and instead urge those who are most vulnerable to stay home. I'm <60, in good health, not in a hot spot, so I should not be under lockdown like a mobidly obese guy who is 75 year old, and living in Miami.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-24-2020 at 07:09 AM..

Old 04-24-2020, 07:09 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
4/24/2020

keep in mind..this is for a population of ~3 million

Miami/Dade

total cases.......10,588
hospitalizations..1,172
total deaths.........270

since day 1...out of around 3 million people......only a little over 1,000 were sick enough to go to the hospital....and only 270 died

...Miami/Dade's death rate is ~0.01%...... 1/100th of 1 percent

Last edited by Corrie22; 04-24-2020 at 07:37 AM..

Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,170,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I couldn't agree more. This map is useless. There are still 9 County's in Florida w/ <5 cases. Then, there's Miami-Dade that has 1/3rd of allFlorida cases. This is why I agreed with DeSantis not shutting down the entire state until later on (April 3rd). I still don't think it should all be shut down (until April 30th).

I hope the Governor keeps the shutdown in effect for hot spots, and opens it up everywhere else, and instead urge those who are most vulnerable to stay home. I'm <60, in good health, not in a hot spot, so I should not be under lockdown like a mobidly obese guy who is 75 year old, and living in Miami.

But if you do partial openings you need a way for those areas to keep people from other areas with more cases from coming into those counties. For example. Brevard County has less cases than Orlando and Osceola counties etc.. Open Brevard first and Orlando and the people of other Central Florida counties will flock her for the beach, the barbers/hairdressers, the other activities that open up. I know when some recreation type businesses in the Orlando area were still open after places closed here, people drove over there to for example to play miniature golf etc. to get out of the house. We would need a way to close off areas or it will spread again.

I know Florida needs tourists but if we open up and don't stop the influx from other states/countries we will be back in the same dilemma as we were before. Checking someone's temp is no sign they are Covid-19 free.

We tend to say, most people have mild cases but they are finding out mild cases are leaving previously healthy people with health problems like clotting blood which is causing damaging strokes at a younger age than before, hearts and lungs that are damaged etc. so we have to watch out for those things too. Just like back in the 50s when we quarantined for measles, even though you survived them, some kids lost their sight, some had bad hearts afterwards, etc. .

I think it is important to remember that the people who have died are not just numbers. They are people. They are grandparents, parents, our children, our families and friends. We cannot forget them like we did with Nam deaths or the dying and maimed from today's battles in Afghanistan and the middle East. Sad thing is.....we can't even hug the families that are having to bury their loved ones. It is sad as they deal with grief that all they hear and see is......we have to open up and save the economy. We need to save the people, too. ..... Stepping down from my soap box again.....

Old 04-24-2020, 08:58 AM

25,716 posts, read 12,793,994 times
I agree about the need to restrict inter-county movements, but I have no idea how to implement and enforce that. The minute beaches open, people who live inland will make the drive to their nearest beach.

On the Sarasota forum, we had a minor tussle over restricting beaches, and/or beach parking, only to people w/ FLA ID's, or car tags for just the reason you cite....containment from afar.

"Remembering people are not just numbers"...I just learned a close relative of mine has it (in Michigan), & his odds stink. Yet, I am still for opening up for certain people in certain areas. 9 Florida County's have 5 cases, or less. Young healthy people in those county's should be able to move about...w/in a small self-policed travel radius.

We must segregate vulnerable populations, even in areas w/ low C-19 cases. 65+'ers should remain quarantined, & others w/ at-risk health conditions.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:19 PM

361 posts, read 258,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
There are still 9 County's in Florida w/ <5 cases.
I find it sad that some people don't understand exponential growth and lack of testing.

I'm going to lock myself down until there's a PROVEN therapeutic or reasonably good vaccine(s). At least I have a private pool.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:10 PM

205 posts, read 241,398 times
Are most of you hunkering down your homes? Publix? Take out? How can you stay home day after day? Difficult times indeed.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:22 PM

361 posts, read 258,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
Are most of you hunkering down your homes? Publix? Take out? How can you stay home day after day? Difficult times indeed.
Hunkered down. Expecting to do that for at least the next year.

I only contribute to our economy by spending, and I can do that online. I feel for the people who have to make the health vs income decision thing.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:24 PM

205 posts, read 241,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Hunkered down. Expecting to do that for at least the next year.
Are you serious?

Old 04-24-2020, 03:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,357 times
Grim milestones More than 30,000 cases. 1,000 deaths
https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida