Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 07:01 PM

417 posts, read 267,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
Everyone has to do their own "risk/reward" calculation. I guess I'm a pessimist. In any event, I hope and wish everyones good intended risk/reward decision works out for them and the rest of us.
Thanks, we should all be wishing the best for everyone regardless of their choice.
For we are all Americans in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM

361 posts, read 258,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Thanks, we should all be wishing the best for everyone regardless of their choice.
For we are all Americans in the end.
Um, er; at first I smiled at your post, but then I remembered that the "we are all Americans thing" isn't helping.

I think we are all part of this planet we reside upon. I also think that if we don't accept the concept of a small interconnected planet, we will repeat the mistakes that forced shelter in place for countries like ours.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
The Spousal Unit's job is online indefinitely. We do weekly a Publix/Target/Whole Foods run. Don't feel the need to go to the beach but did drive to Panama City Beach last weekend to go to Conservation Park, which is fully open including the restrooms and has some nice eight foot wide trails repurposed from logging roads when that was St. Joe paper company land.

I so want a proper grouper or mahi sandwich from one of our favorite places, but they're annoyingly far from home for general take-out and I don't want to be eating inside the car in the parking lot. Same goes for my favorite sushi place, which is also just little too far away to bring take-out home.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Um, er; at first I smiled at your post, but then I remembered that the "we are all Americans thing" isn't helping.

I think we are all part of this planet we reside upon. I also think that if we don't accept the concept of a small interconnected planet, we will repeat the mistakes that forced shelter in place for countries like ours.
You're kidding me right? I just assumed that you were an American based on this being a Florida forum.
Then maybe we should ban screen names that describe geographic locations like "Gulf Coast" jon that don't represent the concept of that global interconnected planet.
Sorry to confuse you.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:44 PM

361 posts, read 258,787 times
Sorry, I don't understand your post. I've lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida since 1981.

Let's agree to disagree on whatever I wrote that incited you to question where I live.

Quote:
You're kidding me right? I just assumed that you were an American based on this being a Florida forum.
Then maybe we should ban screen names that describe geographic locations like "Gulf Coast" jon that don't represent the concept of that global interconnected planet.
Sorry to confuse you.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:52 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
So if we do not stay at home with everything delivered, then we are not mature?
Each individual needs to choose without being shamed by those that do not agree with their opinions.
I am and adult, I am mature, I can handle these things also, BUT I go out to shop. That is my choice.

Have a Great Florida day where ever you choose to spend it!
I was responding to this post;

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
Are most of you hunkering down your homes? Publix? Take out? How can you stay home day after day? Difficult times indeed.
The post has multiple questions in it. My first response is to the first questions. Second response was to the question of "how can you stay home day after day?" in which I answered with "adults, mature people..."

Old 04-24-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand your post. I've lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida since 1981.

Let's agree to disagree on whatever I wrote that incited you to question where I live.
Good deal! I also live on the Gulf Coast of Florida, off and on for the last 50 years, with the exception of the many years I lived overseas.

Your comment of "we are all Americans thing isn't helping" perturbed me as I consider that disrespectful to my friends that have died for that title.

Global or not, I respect my citizenship.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I was responding to this post;

The post has multiple questions in it. My first response is to the first questions. Second response was to the question of "how can you stay home day after day?" in which I answered with "adults, mature people..."
Apologies

Old 04-24-2020, 10:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Default Why Florida has dodged a New York City-like epidemic crisis

Many interesting points are made in this article, including the paucity of mass transit, relatively more single family homes, lesser density, and luck (e.g., social distancing policies implemented in Florida's largest cities before the virus was well established), etc.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/24/212346...9-stay-at-home

But I'm most struck by how good Floridians are at social distancing, as discussed in the article. I will theorize about a few explanations not discussed in the article.

1) Florida's disproportionately older population, often with pre-existing medical conditions, greatly respect the COVID-19 virus, even if they aren't terrified of it. Young super spreaders, perhaps returning from spring break or subsequently from the beach, don't matter as much if they have little to no contact with the most vulnerable population.

2) Older Floridians may be more wealthy than in most states (tax flight, pensioners, etc.) and can afford home delivery and other services not possible within the budgets of the vulnerable populations in other states.

3) Floridians may be more self-centered and determined to survive at all costs than persons in other states. There is one prominent poster in this forum who discusses wearing goggles. I've seen goggles discussed for use outside of hospitals no where else, not in the media, not in other forums, even though their use is medically valid. I've seen increasing numbers of persons wearing masks, but I've seen no one wearing goggles. I have goggles, but I don't wear them, partially because I wear glasses, but maybe I should wear them, as I'm a bonafide member of the vulnerable class.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:19 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta loca View Post
I wear goggles. I used to wear glasses before I got my goggles. I was wearing face masks before they became popular(in my county they are mandatory now) People probably thought I was crazy. Now everybody wears them. I haven’t really checked if people wear goggles. I guess I have no shame anymore.

I wear safety glasses a lot for C-19 protection. I've read a lot of articles about how people get C-19 through their eyes. Here's just One of them. I wear them so I can't touch my own eyes, and also to avoid airborne droplets from getting onto my eyes from an infected person nearby. That can give you a nasty case of Pink eye.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/condi...and-your-eyes/

To cover your mouth and nose, and not also cover your eyes, seems illogical to me personally. I'm not trying to convince others to do so, just relating my own personal feelings, and sharing some of what I've read. I already had the safety glasses for another purpose, so no added cost was involved. Mine are catually pretty cool looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida