Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 03:52 PM

361 posts, read 258,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA33301 View Post
Are you serious?
Yes. I got the flu decades ago when in college. Would take me two months to recover and then get fully
back into shape. Now we have flu vaccines and tamaflu antivirals. When we have that (vaccines and antivirals) for C-19, I'll go out more than absolutely necessary.

I really feel for the families that have to interact more with our pandemic world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 04:51 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Are most of you hunkering down your homes? Publix? Take out? How can you stay home day after day? Difficult times indeed.
I work everyday ray. Nothing at all has changed in my life.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:52 PM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Are you serious?
We have waves 2 and 3 coming. This will never go away.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:06 PM

417 posts, read 267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
I find it sad that some people don't understand exponential growth and lack of testing.

I'm going to lock myself down until there's a PROVEN therapeutic or reasonably good vaccine(s). At least I have a private pool.

Is it also possible that the exponetial growth has already occurred with the majority being asymptomatic but data cannot reflect that due to lack of testing?

To prevent people from earning a living because we are are waiting for a vaccine or the testing of the majority of the population would be devastating.

the Flattening of the Curve was designed to prevent the overload of our medical services. We are past that.

Open up without government control. The extent and the speed of that return will be soley dependent upon the people themselves as some will venture out and others remain holed up. But give us the option without shaming our choices.

Another beautiful day coming up tomorrow in the Sunshine (and a little rain) State, get out & Enjoy!

Old 04-24-2020, 05:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Are most of you hunkering down your homes? Publix? Take out? How can you stay home day after day? Difficult times indeed.
Staying at home, everything delivered.

I am an adult, I can handle these things, that is how I can stay home day after day. Adults, mature people, do what needs to be done, even if they do not like it and are inconvenienced by it.

Old 04-24-2020, 05:39 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Is it also possible that the exponetial growth has already occurred with the majority being asymptomatic but data cannot reflect that due to lack of testing?

To prevent people from earning a living because we are are waiting for a vaccine or the testing of the majority of the population would be devastating.

the Flattening of the Curve was designed to prevent the overload of our medical services. We are past that.

Open up without government control. The extent and the speed of that return will be soley dependent upon the people themselves as some will venture out and others remain holed up. But give us the option without shaming our choices.

Another beautiful day coming up tomorrow in the Sunshine (and a little rain) State, get out & Enjoy!
This is why they have been saying testing is key in getting things back open.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:24 PM

18,434 posts, read 8,268,923 times
4/24/20....8pm

Miami/Dade

total cases since day 1................ 10,926.....0.2%........2/10th of 1 percent of the population
total hosp since day 1....................1,246.....0.02%......2/100th of 1 percent of the population
total deaths since day 1....................287.....0.004%.....4/1000th of 1 percent of the population

Old 04-24-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Staying at home, everything delivered.

I am an adult, I can handle these things, that is how I can stay home day after day. Adults, mature people, do what needs to be done, even if they do not like it and are inconvenienced by it.
So if we do not stay at home with everything delivered, then we are not mature?
Each individual needs to choose without being shamed by those that do not agree with their opinions.
I am and adult, I am mature, I can handle these things also, BUT I go out to shop. That is my choice.

Have a Great Florida day where ever you choose to spend it!

Old 04-24-2020, 06:42 PM

361 posts, read 258,892 times
Everyone has to do their own "risk/reward" calculation. I guess I'm a pessimist. In any event, I hope and wish everyones good intended risk/reward decision works out for them and the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post

Old 04-24-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinta loca View Post
Have you seen the testing numbers? These are people most likely with symptoms and the average positive is only 10%. It is very unlikely most people have been infected. New York City has tested the general population and only 13.5% have the antibodies. We are far from herd immunity.

We obviously have to open businesses at some point but don’t expect life to go back to normal within a year. By normal I mean what life was before COVID-19. The economy is not gonna recover until we reach herd immunity. We are gonna have more outbreaks for sure and at least 1-2 million will die. Do we want an apocalyptic scenario like New York City a few weeks ago? How about people dying at home and not having enough people to pick up the bodies like in Italy?
Good Poiints, However in FLORIDA
I haver seen many different testing numbers.
Who is getting tested? Majority are people with existing symptons or exposure. Plus elders.
Even of those tested, majority are negative.
Of those that tested positive. the % of hospitalizations (& deaths) are low.

I do not expect the economy to bounce back fast either, which is why I explained that the public will determine the speed and extent to which it will by their actions/participation

But I do not buy the theory that millions will die with a second wave, a third wave, a fourth wave.
But many will die from depression, suicide, domestic violence, and drug abuse from being broke. This is happening now.

Personally I am old, retired, doing good, and could stay holed up in my house for years.
However, that is not a viable long-term concept beneficial for my family, Grandkids, friends, community, or my Country.
At this time, that choice should start being available without someone trying to morally shame them.

Get out and enjoy Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida