Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 21,811 times

Advertisements

My wife and I and our 6 year old son are looking to relocate from the Midwest (tired of the cold weather) to FL to be closer to family in Naples——but not interested in Naples.

We’ve spent time in both Coral Gables and Winter Park and like both——my career allows me to reside in rother location. Any thought on pros/cons of one vs. the other? We are Caucasian, Catholic, non-Spanish speakers—-but not opposed to learning as I realize we could be in the minority in the Miami area. Any thoughts on schools, quality of life, country clubs in the two areas or other pros/cons I may not be thinking of? We are also open to other areas but these two are the ones we like best of what we’ve visited. Miami area is attractive due to the weather, sports teams, multiple airports and proximity to Naples, but Winter Park very nice relaxed suburban atmosphere. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 04:58 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
There's definitely more bang for the buck in Coral Gables in terms of things to do. Many Caucasians flip out over the predominance of Spanish speakers in the area, but consider the benefits of raising your child in an environment where they'll grow up bilingual/multi-cultural. If open to private school education (and able to afford it) I would recommend checking out Ransom Everglades School in neighboring Coconut Grove or Gulliver School in Pinecrest (another nice area just south of CG to explore as well). Both are easily among the top few schools in Florida.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:28 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Winter Park would be an easy choice for me. Coral Gables is nice for a vacation, but unless you are a wealthy Spanish speaking family, you are likely to feel out of place. There is so much to do for families in Orlando area. Winter Park is a very nice community as well as Windermere near Downtown Windermere. Lake Highland Prep is a very good private school k-12. I also know people who have kids at Windermere Prep and really like it too. Coral Gables though is very nice too, but home prices are stupid expensive. You can live almost anywhere in California for those prices and get similar houses for the price. It is also hard to get out because traffic there is really bad. Just do google maps with live traffic on to points of interest, especially near rush hour.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:39 PM

29 posts, read 35,797 times
Winter Park for the reasons BMW listed. It’s a no-brainer for me. Easily one of the nicest suburbs in the state.
As mentioned, Lake Highland Prep and Windermere Prep are both amazing private schools.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:53 AM

210 posts, read 270,702 times
Winter Park, easy choice. We (my husband and I who are also catholic, caucasian and non-spanish speaking) lived in south Florida for 4 years and now live in Winter Park. South Florida is aggressive. My husband works in finance and was a professional athlete and he said every day was like "hand to hand combat."

Driving in Orlando is tough, driving in South Florida is dangerous. Everything is even more expensive in South Florida and the crime in my opinion is much, much worse. Not speaking Spanish in Coral Gables could make it a little harder to adjust socially. Our children are in a private prep school in the Orlando area and I find the population very culturally diverse (not necessarily economically since the cost off tuition) and our kids get the chance to learn about a number of different cultures, religions and lifestyles.

I find Orlando to be extremely more welcoming to newcomers from any other Florida city I've lived in with no shortage of things to do. I think the quality of life and pace in Central Florida is much more suitable for raising a family than south Florida.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Winter Park, easy choice. We (my husband and I who are also catholic, caucasian and non-spanish speaking) lived in south Florida for 4 years and now live in Winter Park. South Florida is aggressive. My husband works in finance and was a professional athlete and he said every day was like "hand to hand combat."

Driving in Orlando is tough, driving in South Florida is dangerous. Everything is even more expensive in South Florida and the crime in my opinion is much, much worse. Not speaking Spanish in Coral Gables could make it a little harder to adjust socially. Our children are in a private prep school in the Orlando area and I find the population very culturally diverse (not necessarily economically since the cost off tuition) and our kids get the chance to learn about a number of different cultures, religions and lifestyles.

I find Orlando to be extremely more welcoming to newcomers from any other Florida city I've lived in with no shortage of things to do. I think the quality of life and pace in Central Florida is much more suitable for raising a family than south Florida.
I have friends in Coconut Grove who want to move to Orlando too. They both are fluent in Spanish, but hate the dog eat dog mentality there. The only reason they aren’t moving is they both have kids with with ex wife and ex husband and I know at least my guy friend would lose custody if he moved.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 AM

OP, do your due diligence and explore both options. This forum is rife with both Orlando "homers" who think it's the best city in Florida (and a one size fits all which it's very clearly not in reality) plus South Florida haters who lament it's language diversity, crime rate and congestion even though it's hardly alone in those departments. As the 7th largest metro area in the US, it's kind of ridiculous to assert South Florida has nothing in the way of suitable family friendly suburbs.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, do your due diligence and explore both options. This forum is rife with both Orlando "homers" who think it's the best city in Florida (and a one size fits all which it's very clearly not in reality) plus South Florida haters who lament it's language diversity, crime rate and congestion even though it's hardly alone in those departments. As the 7th largest metro area in the US, it's kind of ridiculous to assert South Florida has nothing in the way of suitable family friendly suburbs.
Or maybe most people think Winter Park is a better place to live #mindblown

Where in South Florida did you live? I used to live in Boca Raton.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Winter Park.

Cfl > sfl

Old 03-11-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Or maybe most people think Winter Park is a better place to live #mindblown

Where in South Florida did you live? I used to live in Boca Raton.
I don't think that's "most people" unless there's a more scientific poll supporting that versus several people and their definitive views on this forum.

I spent my entire childhood in Hollywood, college in Miami (FIU) and lived in Fort Lauderdale for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida