Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 01:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times

Advertisements

I saw on a youtube video where 5 states where people are moving from to Flordia and Georgia seems to one that comes to mind. It kinda surprises me since Georgia is more laid back and has a more classic southern feel (outside of Atlanta but still southern). Does it surprise you the Georgians are moving to Flordia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 01:48 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Not really surprising since the states border one another. I seem to recall more Floridians move to Georgia than anywhere else as well.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:16 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
No state income tax in Florida..

Old 06-09-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
No state income tax in Florida..
Which is beginning to run it's course with lower wages and an increasing cost of living. For many of those that stop and do the math the difference narrows to where it's hardly worth it, or worse.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:47 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
We moved to Florida from Georgia. We lived in the Northern 'burbs of Atlanta, and it was a great place to raise a family.

Now that our nest is empty, and I'm still making good money (semi-retired), avoiding state income taxes was like finding $20,000/yr. under the Christmas tree. That's a free 2-week Seabourn cruise each year.

And, we are 15 minutes to a great beach versus 5 hours. There was no reason to stay in Georgia after our Son went off to college. He's a Georgia resident, so he gets in-state tuition at Georgia.

Some counties in Georgia wave the school portion of the property taxes which would have saved us $8,000+/yr, but you must be 65 yrs old to get that deal, & we had too many years to wait around for it.

No regrets. I've met 200+ people here in 3 years, and none are from Georgia. Most are from up east, and some from the midwest. I can't think of any from the South, come to think of it...odd.

The South is pretty cheap place to live, and the people are very laid back, and friendly. The kids grow up with respect for their elders, and are accustomed to racial diversity. It was a A+ for us, but we are onto the next chapter in Florida. This is my 3rd stint in FLA, and my wife's 2nd, so we knew the ropes.

We could live anywhere on Earth, but chose SW Florida.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:46 PM

482 posts, read 418,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which is beginning to run it's course with lower wages and an increasing cost of living. For many of those that stop and do the math the difference narrows to where it's hardly worth it, or worse.
But for those who want to take advantage of no income tax here, those moving here from GA tend to be of a higher income bracket anyway. One of the reasons why I am here.

There are many things in GA that are less expensive than FL. In many ways, GA is less expensive to live in than FL. For us, the key motivators were the lack of state income tax and favorable land ownership laws.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
But for those who want to take advantage of no income tax here, those moving here from GA tend to be of a higher income bracket anyway. One of the reasons why I am here.

There are many things in GA that are less expensive than FL. In many ways, GA is less expensive to live in than FL. For us, the key motivators were the lack of state income tax and favorable land ownership laws.
That makes sense. However for those with an average job or even what amounts to above average here in FL you can find the same job in Metro Atlanta quite often paying a good 20% more. Even with a state income tax you come out ahead with lower housing costs (especially rental) and lower costs on car insurance as well as groceries too.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:21 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
That makes sense. However for those with an average job or even what amounts to above average here in FL you can find the same job in Metro Atlanta quite often paying a good 20% more. Even with a state income tax you come out ahead with lower housing costs (especially rental) and lower costs on car insurance as well as groceries too.

You make a good point about overall cost of living. I moved to Florida from Indiana and my cost of living went up even though Indiana has a state income tax and I had a county income tax as well. Housing and insurance is what I've found to be much more expensive here. I rented a 1 bedroom apartment for$450 per month in indiana. My last house cost $100,000. Can't buy a mobile home here for that.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:05 AM

482 posts, read 418,788 times
Quote:
Agreed, as we did consider those aspects as well. For many people, these items can far outweigh the benefit of no state income tax.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:59 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
People on US soil still generate income reported on W-2? Really? Anyway, those days have run their course, numbered, off-shored.

Schedules C, D, and E are where it's at. Do the math.

Actually Georgia is a pretty good credit, but I can see why C, D and E people get tired of the useless complication of state income taxes. Personally I am happy to pay property and sales taxes and local service fees.

I've read reports that Tennessee and New Hampshire, which already do not tax wages, plan to not tax also C, D and E income.

Come to think of it, the foremost important people in government are those who manage and operate water and sewer, unsung heroes every single day.

Last edited by bale002; 06-11-2020 at 07:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida