Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I've got more than one childhood picture that involves me going trick-or-treating in snow boots, and I can remember it snowing the first weekend in May when I was a senior in high school.
back in the 80s I remember many a Halloween with them dressed in those dumb plastic costumes and SWEATING because it was an Indian Summer day and it reached 80 degrees the end of October. That was just awful.

Where I lived in NY, and I am over 60, the latest it ever snowed was around the first week of April and it melted in about 24 hours. I can never remember it snowing in May in this area. About the coldest I can remember was 50s at night. It will not snow with those temps.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
All I have to add is(and you all knew I would HAVE to chime in here) I cannot stand days like today, yesterday, and all of them since April. 50's at night, 70's during the day to me are my perfect temps. I do not like single digit temps either. I don't mind snow at all. I would take snow and cold over this crap we are dealt here. It's not for me. 16 years later I am NOT used to it and I know I never will be. I don't hate FL, I hate the heat. I will layer clothing to be warm, but not get naked to cool off in FL...LOL

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM

228 posts, read 536,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Can we just get a sticky for people to complain about the heat to their heart's content?
Totally agree!! Better yet, MODS, please add a subforum to Florida called "Florida Heat, Humidity, and Complainers"

I already have a feeling who the top two posters will be!!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
which knocked out our power for 4 hours. Even though the storm made the temp go down to about mid 80s, the air was still as thick as pea soup and there was no breeze whatsoever. AC? We didn't even have fans without any power. It was brutal.

After 3 hours, my husband called the power company and wanted to know not only when power would come back on, he even asked if our condo about 10 miles away had their power. It did. He was ready to get in the car and drive there to have AC, TV, and cold drinks. He was prepared to sleep at the condo rather than spend the night at the house with no AC.

I am in NY right now. It is 85 degrees right now. We not only don't have AC on, but we don't even have fans going because the humidity is low. We have all the windows and doors open and there is a nice, STRONG, COOL breeze coming in. The breeze is stronger than any fan could be. It's lovely. It is not even like this in the WINTERS in Naples; not that strong or cool of a breeze. Plus, even in the 70s in the winter, it is still HUMID. Yuck.

It is very nice to not have all that horrible, awful HUMIDITY; nevermind the 90+ every single day for months on end.

Heat and humidity makes me very irritable too.
I don't see how anyone could ever refer to an 85 degree breeze as being "cool." I was in NY when it was over 80 degrees a few summers ago and that "breeze" was far from cool, honey!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
Totally agree!! Better yet, MODS, please add a subforum to Florida called "Florida Heat, Humidity, and Complainers"

I already have a feeling who the top two posters will be!!
I sure as hell will be on it, you got that right!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 AM

Then.. We can come up with another sticky called "Heat, humidity, Florida cheerleaders, and those who like to be sweaty". There will be lots of posters on that one.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 AM

Default When the humidity and dew points are in the 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I don't see how anyone could ever refer to an 85 degree breeze as being "cool." I was in NY when it was over 80 degrees a few summers ago and that "breeze" was far from cool, honey!
even though the temp is in the 80s, you can have a cool breeze. Being near the ocean, rather than the gulf, also makes a difference. It doesn't happen ALL the time, but it does happen.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 AM

I think I have learned something in my old age. Even though 40s through 60s are my ideal temps, I can take 80s and even 90s IF the humidity levels are low. I have learned it is more the blasted HUMIDITY which kills me in Florida, where even 70s in winter can still be blasted humid.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
which knocked out our power for 4 hours. Even though the storm made the temp go down to about mid 80s, the air was still as thick as pea soup and there was no breeze whatsoever. AC? We didn't even have fans without any power. It was brutal.

After 3 hours, my husband called the power company and wanted to know not only when power would come back on, he even asked if our condo about 10 miles away had their power. It did. He was ready to get in the car and drive there to have AC, TV, and cold drinks. He was prepared to sleep at the condo rather than spend the night at the house with no AC.

I am in NY right now. It is 85 degrees right now. We not only don't have AC on, but we don't even have fans going because the humidity is low. We have all the windows and doors open and there is a nice, STRONG, COOL breeze coming in. The breeze is stronger than any fan could be. It's lovely. It is not even like this in the WINTERS in Naples; not that strong or cool of a breeze. Plus, even in the 70s in the winter, it is still HUMID. Yuck.

It is very nice to not have all that horrible, awful HUMIDITY; nevermind the 90+ every single day for months on end.

Heat and humidity makes me very irritable too.
Yeah right. I was in Michigan a couple of weeks ago and it is cooler there than in the NE right now with less humidity and we still needed the AC. I doubt someone who complains about the heat as much as you do can be in the NE right now without the AC going. Especially when the Weather channel has been reporting on the high temps in the NE. And to say Florida doesn't get as cool as it is there right now in the winter is a lie and you know it. Florida has almost zero humidity come winter.

Last edited by TB Fla; 08-04-2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 07:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
The thing people forget when comparing the heat and humidity of Florida and any place up north, is Florida's heat and humidity (80 degree plus temps) can be up to 10 months long depending on what part of Florida one lives. In the north the heat and humidity will last on average 4 months. 4 months vs 10 months is a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida