Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 10:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 2,443,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
That is a pretty unbelievable feat!
Not really. It's a TEMPORARY bridge section until they can do a proper repair/replacement of the existing damaged structure.

And residents still have no in/out until October 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 01:42 PM

731 posts, read 770,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Not really. It's a TEMPORARY bridge section until they can do a proper repair/replacement of the existing damaged structure.

And residents still have no in/out until October 21.
Yes, we all know it's temporary. So what? It's an amazing accomplishment. I guess you would prefer to wait a couple of years until anyone can drive to Sanibel rather than residents waiting until October 21st? You certainly are a negative Nelly.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:42 PM

3,459 posts, read 2,443,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Yes, we all know it's temporary. So what? It's an amazing accomplishment. I guess you would prefer to wait a couple of years until anyone can drive to Sanibel rather than residents waiting until October 21st? You certainly are a negative Nelly.
Creating a section of a bridge in 2 weeks is not an "unbelievable" feat. It's totally believable. It's not amazing. If I were a negative Nelly, I'd complain that it was horrible. You don't see me doing that, do you? No, no you don't. It's modern engineering and construction, doing what it's supposed to do. Working as intended.

Old 10-13-2022, 02:57 PM

18,506 posts, read 8,326,452 times
not "a" section of bridge.... it was 3 sections of bridge and almost the entire causeway in the middle

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...d/10461087002/

https://www.enr.com/articles/54968-c...way-in-florida

Old 10-13-2022, 04:57 PM

30,481 posts, read 21,343,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Creating a section of a bridge in 2 weeks is not an "unbelievable" feat. It's totally believable. It's not amazing. If I were a negative Nelly, I'd complain that it was horrible. You don't see me doing that, do you? No, no you don't. It's modern engineering and construction, doing what it's supposed to do. Working as intended.
Well it's done now. I got a $1000 for them pills jill.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:09 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,469,009 times
According to the following article, the Sanibel Causeway bridge was largely undamaged. Most of the work was repairing spoil islands and the actual roadway. It sounds as if the complete restoration of the causeway won't be a major construction job.

<<Most of the causeway work, he said, has been to fix the roadway and islands leading up to the bridge.

"The actual bridge structures, thankfully, are in good shape and have been inspected and are safe for passage," he said, "so now it’s really a matter of getting the causeway rebuilt and linking everything back together.”

Next comes paving and road striping, Perdue said.>>

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...n/10470040002/

Sanibel Island: The recovery ahead.

https://www.news-press.com/story/new...ge/8220470001/

Old 10-13-2022, 05:52 PM

18,506 posts, read 8,326,452 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5m2ClAzu-U

Old 10-13-2022, 06:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
According to the following article, the Sanibel Causeway bridge was largely undamaged. Most of the work was repairing spoil islands and the actual roadway. It sounds as if the complete restoration of the causeway won't be a major construction job.

<<Most of the causeway work, he said, has been to fix the roadway and islands leading up to the bridge.

"The actual bridge structures, thankfully, are in good shape and have been inspected and are safe for passage," he said, "so now it’s really a matter of getting the causeway rebuilt and linking everything back together.”
That’s the similar luck that they had with the I-10 bridge over Pensacola Bay with Hurricane Ivan- the bridge pilings were found to be undamaged and structurally sound so they were able slap some really sturdy metal grating between the pilings and get a temporary road surface for a couple of years until they could get a permanent fix.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:01 PM

4,962 posts, read 2,246,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That’s the similar luck that they had with the I-10 bridge over Pensacola Bay with Hurricane Ivan- the bridge pilings were found to be undamaged and structurally sound so they were able slap some really sturdy metal grating between the pilings and get a temporary road surface for a couple of years until they could get a permanent fix.
Not so similar luck when 27 stray Skanska barges took out sections of the Pensacola Bay Bridge during Hurricane Sally. That took 9 months or so to repair. That was painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida