Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 07:59 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Boating is a big part of the Florida lifestyle, and Ian has impacted this style of life dramatically.

Of course, its buyer beware on all boat purchases now after Ian damaged so many boats. Nearly anyone buying a costly boat hires a surveyor, & they'll catch most storm damaged boats.

Will that cause new boat prices to increase since higher demand on new due to buyers afraid to buy used?

Will the cost of used go up or down? Wait times on new were 6 months-1 year pre-Ian.

Very few will want boats stored outside on Marina's parking lots after Ian....especially in SW FLA.

In SW FLA, the marina's buildings have been beyond capacity for years now. One weekend 2 years ago, I went to 12 Marina's in SW FLA that had indoor storage, & not 1 had any inside slip for a 30'-32' boat. Now, its going to be even worse. Some stopped adding names to waiting lists. Inside marina slip prices are soaring...if you can even find one....in SW FLA....what about SE FLA?

Boat insurance will skyrocket, and cost of fuel was already high pre-Ian.

The overall cost of ownership of a boat in Florida has risen dramatically in the past 3-4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 08:56 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Boating is a big part of the Florida lifestyle, and Ian has impacted this style of life dramatically.

Of course, its buyer beware on all boat purchases now after Ian damaged so many boats. Nearly anyone buying a costly boat hires a surveyor, & they'll catch most storm damaged boats.

Will that cause new boat prices to increase since higher demand on new due to buyers afraid to buy used?

Will the cost of used go up or down? Wait times on new were 6 months-1 year pre-Ian.

Very few will want boats stored outside on Marina's parking lots after Ian....especially in SW FLA.

In SW FLA, the marina's buildings have been beyond capacity for years now. One weekend 2 years ago, I went to 12 Marina's in SW FLA that had indoor storage, & not 1 had any inside slip for a 30'-32' boat. Now, its going to be even worse. Some stopped adding names to waiting lists. Inside marina slip prices are soaring...if you can even find one....in SW FLA....what about SE FLA?

Boat insurance will skyrocket, and cost of fuel was already high pre-Ian.

The overall cost of ownership of a boat in Florida has risen dramatically in the past 3-4 years.
We lost our boat in hurricane Ian. It was on the lift off our dock, tied as well as my husband could make it, and the lift as high as it would go to try and keep it out of rising waters. Well, as we watched ( through the hurricane impact windows) during the hurricane, the boat started sliding off the lift downwards, hung there for a while. Then a gust ( I guess it was), blew in, and the boat flipped over and ended up upside down in the water. It was insured, but we will not be replacing that boat. It's still upside down in the canal, waiting for SeaTow to haul it away.

Old 10-22-2022, 09:43 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
people were saying the same right after Andrew.....
...now look at it

long term....boat sales will keep going up

Old 10-22-2022, 10:01 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Had two boats and never again jan. Since you can't keep or sell anything anymore there is no point going 80+ miles offshore. Best to go on a Paryboat and leave the cleaning to the crew.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
We lost our boat in hurricane Ian. It was on the lift off our dock, tied as well as my husband could make it, and the lift as high as it would go to try and keep it out of rising waters. Well, as we watched ( through the hurricane impact windows) during the hurricane, the boat started sliding off the lift downwards, hung there for a while. Then a gust ( I guess it was), blew in, and the boat flipped over and ended up upside down in the water. It was insured, but we will not be replacing that boat. It's still upside down in the canal, waiting for SeaTow to haul it away.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you could rent out your lift to another boat owner. They are at a super premium now. Did the lift mechanism survive? I'd be intested to hear if your insurance company treated you fairy or not. I've had boat fever for 3 years now, but when I couldn't find an indoor slip, the wind left my sails.

I'm so glad I didn't buy one, and have it kept on the Marina's parking lot until an indoor spot opened up. Had I done that, my boat would have been badly damaged, or totaled because my boat would have to be outside for 1-2 yrs until an indoor slot opened up. It would probably been in Englewood.

Since the cost of ownership has shot up so much, I'm sitting on the sidelines watching to see what Ian's impact will be...and the Nov 8th elections.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Had two boats and never again jan. Since you can't keep or sell anything anymore there is no point going 80+ miles offshore. Best to go on a Paryboat and leave the cleaning to the crew.
I'm not in to fishing, but I might like it if I tried....I've been only once...30+ year ago...it was okay. I love to eat Grouper, & I'm a pescatarian, so maybe I could get into it more in time.

I've been interested in a crossover boat that can be used for cruising, & fishing, but the fishing part mostly for resale. I've learned re-selling cruisers can take some time, but if you have a boat that can be fished from, they re-sell much easier.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not in to fishing, but I might like it if I tried....I've been only once...30+ year ago...it was okay. I love to eat Grouper, & I'm a pescatarian, so maybe I could get into it more in time.

I've been interested in a crossover boat that can be used for cruising, & fishing, but the fishing part mostly for resale. I've learned re-selling cruisers can take some time, but if you have a boat that can be fished from, they re-sell much easier.
It used to be so fun. Go out and get 2000lbs of grouper on one stop and sell them and keep some to eat. They have long been fished out past the point they will ever come back jack. Pink porgies are the best eating fish there is.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It used to be so fun. Go out and get 2000lbs of grouper on one stop and sell them and keep some to eat. They have long been fished out past the point they will ever come back jack. Pink porgies are the best eating fish there is.
I have no idea what a Pink Porgie is, but I'll take your word for it. Grouper cost $28/lb+ when I see it in stores, so it must be scarce now.

Anyways, the dream of owning a nice boat/yacht seems to be drifting away from me, and Ian didn't help. I'll keep chartering yachts occasionally to feed my fever.

Old 10-22-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what a Pink Porgie is, but I'll take your word for it. Grouper cost $28/lb+ when I see it in stores, so it must be scarce now.

Anyways, the dream of owning a nice boat/yacht seems to be drifting away from me, and Ian didn't help. I'll keep chartering yachts occasionally to feed my fever.
Most of it sits on a boat for days and is caught in other countries. Looks up red porgy and you will see what it is.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:00 PM

222 posts, read 222,340 times
Quote:

As a licensed captain who demo’d for a few dealerships, center consoles are the most versatile option and hold their resale verrrry well. While they’re advertised more towards fishing, we sold just as many center consoles to people who didn’t fish. Easy to dock, great visibility, lots of deck room, plenty of storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida