Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 08:03 AM

129 posts, read 171,370 times

Advertisements

For that price I would have spent a little more and went with a tankless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 09:29 AM

71 posts, read 65,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerad View Post
Yup. Homeowners can save a lot of money as hot water tanks are pretty easy to do. Once you drain the water out of them there aren’t all that heavy.
EASY ? well yes and no

If you have to trim down, cut or extend the supply copper pipe (or even the pvc plastic drain) and re-solder the joints properly it can get time consuming and sometimes a hassle doing elbow joints as well

Old 03-22-2023, 09:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I think ya gotta know people ... I got a new one last summer - total with labor -$625 - 40 gallon.
If I went with maybe a Home Depot installer - OMG!
And yeah, he cut and soddered...and took away the old one.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:51 AM

92 posts, read 75,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach48urs View Post
EASY ? well yes and no

If you have to trim down, cut or extend the supply copper pipe (or even the pvc plastic drain) and re-solder the joints properly it can get time consuming and sometimes a hassle doing elbow joints as well
You can use sharkbite connectors and go direct from copper to pex. Super simple. No sweating pipes. The pex crimp tool is $25 I got a quote for my hybrid tank install and they wanted 2k in labor.

I spent about $150 for parts and did it myself in a few hours.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:58 AM

92 posts, read 75,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterTherapy View Post
For that price I would have spent a little more and went with a tankless.
The most efficient hot water is usually not tankless. If you have natural gas that is the cheapest solution and going tankless. If propane or electric tankless not a good efficiency option.

The most cost efficient hot water tanks are hybrid hot water tanks. Don’t believe me go look at the annual consumption from the energy guides. I looked at going tankless as we have propane and electric hybrid way more efficient. We went to an 80 gallon tank, 4000 less kWH used per year, and never run out of hot water now.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:53 AM

71 posts, read 65,309 times
^^^interesting

Old 03-29-2023, 10:04 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Couple comments:

1. Would be helpful to know the brand and size.

2. If there is something in the lines making you itchy just run all the faucets in the house for a bit, run the tub too. Also, you can un*********r shower head and see if theres stuff in there.

3. No doubt labor shortages after the Hurricane are making stuff crazy expensive. IMO I've gone with a local reputable plumber, my experience with Home Dept. and Lowes was that the tank itself was reasonable and then they really tacked on the fees and extras for the delivery, install etc. making them much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: