Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times

Advertisements

There is a definite difference between redneck , and Southerner, however depending on how you carry yourself will determine a lot on how you yourself are treated.

No matter where you go.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,539 times
You know...you hit it on the head. I don't have problems with the RN or anyone....it's all how one carries themself that determines the outcome of a human relationship. Though, I don't go around dancing salsa, nor flamenco, or speaking spanish, waving a spanish flag, wherever I go. I dress normal, speak normal, act normal ....just a plain simple honest decent gal...well, a little whacky at times, but that's besides the point.

I see different cultural groups in any color always blaming the RN or white person for their problems. Come on people....it's all common sense! We all have problems no human is exempt from this phenomenom. Just think about this, if one acts like a normal balanced human being, you will be treated as such by the majority. If you act like a hoodlum, well you will be treated as such by the majority of civilization no matter where you go in the entire world. Just don't let the minority of the closed minded humans get to you, they are not worth it at all for anything - just walk away. 9 out of 10 humans are good people. The 1 rotten apple will usually rot on it's own and even some of those will even surprise you at times.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM

272 posts, read 1,001,204 times
I moved to Jax 19 years ago in 9th grade from NY. I planned on moving back after college (UF), but during my senior year I met my current wife. SHe was born here, as were her parents and grandparents. Jax is a great place to raise a family, and one of the only reasons we would move is to have more of a 'fall' (it's 80 degrees here today!).

THere's a difference between a 'red-neck' and someone who is 'country' living in NE FL.
One thing I can't get used to is the multitude of rebel flags around. It should't scare someone off from moving here, but can take a while to get used to (if ever).

Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post
One thing I can't get used to is the multitude of rebel flags around. It should't scare someone off from moving here, but can take a while to get used to (if ever).
Ditto. (I'm on the northwest side, but might be moving your way.)
I know the Stars and Bars are spoken of as a 'heritage' thing rather than some sort of slavery/secession symbol, but I do a doubletake every time I see the decal on the back of someone's pickup.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
You know...you hit it on the head. I don't have problems with the RN or anyone....it's all how one carries themself that determines the outcome of a human relationship. Though, I don't go around dancing salsa, nor flamenco, or speaking spanish, waving a spanish flag, wherever I go. I dress normal, speak normal, act normal ....just a plain simple honest decent gal...well, a little whacky at times, but that's besides the point.

I see different cultural groups in any color always blaming the RN or white person for their problems. Come on people....it's all common sense! We all have problems no human is exempt from this phenomenom. Just think about this, if one acts like a normal balanced human being, you will be treated as such by the majority. If you act like a hoodlum, well you will be treated as such by the majority of civilization no matter where you go in the entire world. Just don't let the minority of the closed minded humans get to you, they are not worth it at all for anything - just walk away. 9 out of 10 humans are good people. The 1 rotten apple will usually rot on it's own and even some of those will even surprise you at times.
I love to dance salsa. But most of all, I would love to dance salsa WELL. When I try, everybody can tell it was not part of my growing up. I did use to twist and disco pretty good though Flamenco??? Now THAT needs training!
Speaking of rednecks - my other half, who is 200% Cuban but blonde and blue eyes, wears jeans, cowboy boots and one of those hats and loves country music. He always threatens me about wearing all that gear when we go out (so I have to play nice before we leave the house). If he didn't have the fear of ME in him, we'd probably have a flag and he'd have a huge Harley, but he's too skinny and balding to actually capture "the" look. He always tells people he's from Tennessee!

Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
I live in NW Florida for 8 years and I don't know for sure what a redneck is. If they are folks with a dixie flag, pony tail, big trucks and talk with an accent. Well yes we do. But while I was assigned to North Dakota, Texas, and even Iceland a few folks look just as the one that live here. Last Feb I was visiting my parents in NYC and I saw a few New York Rednecks out there.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,700 times
Default 5th generation cracker here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizliz0925 View Post
I moved to Jax 19 years ago in 9th grade from NY. I planned on moving back after college (UF), but during my senior year I met my current wife. SHe was born here, as were her parents and grandparents. Jax is a great place to raise a family, and one of the only reasons we would move is to have more of a 'fall' (it's 80 degrees here today!).

THere's a difference between a 'red-neck' and someone who is 'country' living in NE FL.
The confederate flag as I am sure for most natives here represents Heritage not hate. We are the south, got a good amount of Northerners and such, but still lots of untouched land, small towns, farms, ranches, agriculture etc. This state is the only state that has been governed under 5 different flags, the confederate flag was one of them years ago, so this being the south, the afore mentioned and family heritage like mine that has been here for 6 generations we are simply proud, and it saddens us and makes us mad when development goes country and small towns grow ridiculously fast, and for myself I am 41 and have heard it once if I've heard it a million times, that''s not how we do it up North. So our response is go back, ya know? A true redneck is humble, understanding, accepting and the first to say hi to you, that and there when you need help. Yeah we like mudding, airboats, fishing, camping, Hunting, fires, country music, riding around in the backs of trucks, beer, parties in the back yard or on the farm whatever, depends on where you live, but like myself, yeah I like those things, but I like wine, dance music, hot tea, road trips around this great state and out of this state to other great states. I am a former park ranger and have met people from all over the US and other countries at our beautiful state park, (which by the way we have over 158 down here ( one of the many good ways to see the real Florida) and they all have the same complaint about there state, too many people, development, predjudices, etc.
live and let live is what I say

ya'll take care, and have a great Christmas

Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Ditto. (I'm on the northwest side, but might be moving your way.)
I know the Stars and Bars are spoken of as a 'heritage' thing rather than some sort of slavery/secession symbol, but I do a doubletake every time I see the decal on the back of someone's pickup.
Hey Cil, I don't mean to sound ugly, or anything, so I hope you won't take this wrong, but I just have to correct you a little bit. Your statement tells me that you are mixing up the "Stars and Bars" with the Confederate Battle Flag, which is an entirely different thing. The Confederate Battle Flag is the flag that most people are familiar with. It has the Southern Cross on it, also known as St. Andrew's Cross. It was carried in the field, by the majority of the Confederate troops.

The first official flag of the Confederacy was the "Stars and Bars". It had seven stars, placed in a circle, in the upper left, on a field of blue, with two red stripes, and one white between them. It was used as the official flag from March 1861 to May 1863. Because of the colors and pattern, it caused alot of confusion on the battle field, since it couldn't be easily distinguished from the Stars and Stripes, of the United States, (hence the reason for the more familiar Battle Flag). The seven stars on the flag represented the seven states that made up the original Confederate States. South Carolina was the first, followed by Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisana, and Texas.

It is unfortunate that so many people have used the Battle flag in hateful ways. To the men who fought honorably under it, it was a battle flag, not a flag to be used for political gain, or to promote hatred. However, for those who think that the Confederate Battle flag is purely a symbol of racism and hatred, (and it surely has been used for that), I would suggest looking back at early photos of the KKK, (around the 1920's, if I remember correctly). In the photographs I've seen, the group, (they were in Washington DC), was awash with the United States flag, Old Glory herself. My point being that any symbol can be used for good or evil. It is also unfortunate that so many people who see the Confederate Battle Flag, automatically relegate it to the dung heap, and make the stereotypical assumption that those stand up for the Flag are hateful and racist, when nothing could be further from the truth. We're not all "Larry the Cable guy".

Old 11-30-2006, 08:39 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
CelticLady1,
Wonderful post -- very enlightening! Thank you. My Greatgrandfather fought in the Civil War & was a POW at the very end of the war. I need to study this more!

As far as REDNECK goes, I've been told since the word became popular that rednecks originally referred to farmers because they were out in the fields all day, and were sunburned on the neck because that body part wasn't covered. As with many words, I think it's turned into something rather unpleasant -- kinda like the word mother, which used to be honored and is now more aligned with disgusting profanity.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
CelticLady1,
Wonderful post -- very enlightening! Thank you. My Greatgrandfather fought in the Civil War & was a POW at the very end of the war. I need to study this more!

As far as REDNECK goes, I've been told since the word became popular that rednecks originally referred to farmers because they were out in the fields all day, and were sunburned on the neck because that body part wasn't covered. As with many words, I think it's turned into something rather unpleasant -- kinda like the word mother, which used to be honored and is now more aligned with disgusting profanity.
I believe the term Redneck actually has religious origins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida