Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2024, 09:20 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
"Reverse racism" isn't a thing. American white people are not being passed over for jobs, housing, or loans, in favor of American white people. As for education, there are no quotas. Some universities, back in the 1970's, thought the affirmative action programs required them. And then they learned they were wrong, and stopped quotas.

Say what? "American white people" with no marketable skills or an inability to pay a mortgage or a dismal credit rating are constantly passed over for jobs, housing and loans. I've yet to see a credit application that has a box to check if you are "American white people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 09:26 AM

631 posts, read 403,254 times
Newsflash, anyone fitting this pathetic description will be denied a mortgage, loan and most high paying jobs...what exactly are you saying?

Also why would ANY "White American" person fit such a description? There were no laws that forced them into bondage (indentured servitude isn't the same as racialized chattel slavery), denied them housing, jobs, loans etc historically. Honestly, I always scratch my head when I see white homeless people - Most never really faced any real barriers in their life to end up in such a position.

What most likely put them there is drug abuse, and while sad, drug abuse is a choice...being born the "wrong" color, sex etc is not...sorta like, would you rather be short or fat? One can always lose weight, but can one grow taller significantly past the age of 25? Nope.

Ask yourself why this Act even exists - Did many White Americans need this Act's protection? Cut the games.

The Fair Housing Act

Discrimination in Housing Based Upon Race or Color
One of the central objectives of the Fair Housing Act, when Congress enacted it in 1968, was to prohibit race discrimination in sales and rentals of housing. Nevertheless, more than 30 years later, race discrimination in housing continues to be a problem. The majority of the Justice Department's pattern or practice cases involve claims of race discrimination. Sometimes, housing providers try to disguise their discrimination by giving false information about availability of housing, either saying that nothing was available or steering homeseekers to certain areas based on race. Individuals who receive such false information or misdirection may have no knowledge that they have been victims of discrimination. The Department of Justice has brought many cases alleging this kind of discrimination based on race or color.

https://www.justice.gov/crt/fair-housing-act-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Say what? "American white people" with no marketable skills or an inability to pay a mortgage or a dismal credit rating are constantly passed over for jobs, housing and loans. I've yet to see a credit application that has a box to check if you are "American white people".

Last edited by silverct9a; 03-08-2024 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-08-2024, 01:51 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Unhappy My grandfather was denied housing, jobs, loans because he wasn't "white" by the standards of his day

Back when I worked for a Fortune 500, I was denied an internal transfer because the department I wanted to join was "too white".

To the extent that DEI proponents push employers/admissions to reject the most qualified candidates in the name of "equity", to hire and promote on the basis not of actual skill or potential but rather the melanin content of the candidate's skin, how is that anything but racist?

Having been scolded by activists insisting that "Intersectionality" required that the next board member we bring on must be non-white and non-CisHet, "or else", I cannot trust the surface DEIBA agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Newsflash, anyone fitting this pathetic description will be denied a mortgage, loan and most high paying jobs...what exactly are you saying?

Also why would ANY "White American" person fit such a description? There were no laws that forced them into bondage (indentured servitude isn't the same as racialized chattel slavery), denied them housing, jobs, loans etc historically. Honestly, I always scratch my head when I see white homeless people - Most never really faced any real barriers in their life to end up in such a position.
Anybody who experienced "racialized chattel slavery" in the US has been dead for at least half a century.

My grandfather was denied housing, jobs & loans on the basis of the color of his skin, yet today you would call him "White" and DEI would suggest that others have a higher intersectionality score and get a preferred spot in line ahead of him.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:59 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
I think it's hysterical ( and oh so myopic) that a resident DEI proponent assumes, by virtue of their skin color, that people labeled "white" had charmed lives, sailed effortless through life, in whatever paths they took, because they "never faced any real barriers".......

As though "white people" were immune to poverty, alcoholism, family dysfunction, child and spousal abuse, crime, and yeah, even discrimination by those in power for reasons known only to those doing the discriminating.

If you want to go back and dwell on it, I'm the descendent of Irish immigrants who, when they arrived ( legally, I might add) in the US in the early 1900's, looking for a better life in the northeastern US were met with signs outside places of employment reading "No Irish need apply". It's part of our past, like it or not, though as I see it there's no need to dwell on it as it no longer applies.

I was also downsized from a job I held as a young woman from a medical supply company, they downsized people periodically before it was commonplace to do so, and generally selected the last hired to go. I wasn't the last hired, that would have been a black woman who was hired after me, and who had not been as productive in her work there as she was expected to be ( not her fault, I don't think, I think it was circumstances there), and they had penciled her in to be let go. However, one of the company attorneys advised them they could NOT downsize a black employee, so they erased her name and put mine in. I could safely be downsized as I was not black, even though I was productive and they had told me I had great potential at that company. They had to scratch around and find another position for the other woman they'd initially intended to downsize, as her position was eliminated. They finally found one in their library for her, but it wasn't a good fit for her, she wasn't happy and she quit shortly after that. We got her a job in the hospital I found work in after that downsizing. We'd been friendly so kept in touch, and I sure couldn't hold it against her that I was selected for downsizing instead of her- wasn't her doing.

I'm well aware of our shameful history of slavery, racial discrimination and second or lower class citizenry based on skin color, but we can't go back and change it, we can only go forward and do our utmost to ensure that everyone, regardless of skin color, race, sexual orientation ( gotta add that) has opportunities to pursue their dreams, become the best people they can be as productive citizens. And admittedly working towards these ideals is a continuing project. But we are ALL entitled to these opportunities, and movements that involve destruction of, discrimination against ANY group of people, advocating the denial of basic rights to any group ( or their predecessors) based on assumption of their wrongdoing in the past, will only result in the continued turmoil and division as we are currently experiencing in our society. It also won't succeed in promoting the people whose human rights (or those of their ancestors) were stomped all over shamelessly in the past. Perhaps that turmoil and division are the tools of those whose goal is the eventual destruction of our country, but that's a topic for another time.

Last edited by Travelassie; 03-08-2024 at 04:38 PM..

Old 03-08-2024, 04:48 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm well aware of our shameful history of slavery, racial discrimination and second or lower class citizenry based on skin color, but we can't go back and change it, we can only go forward and do our utmost to ensure that everyone, regardless of skin color, race, sexual orientation ( gotta add that) has opportunities to pursue their dreams, become the best people they can be as productive citizens. And admittedly working towards these ideals is a continuing project.
If you had started and stopped your post right there, you would've summed up the entirety of DEI.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:04 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
If you had started and stopped your post right there, you would've summed up the entirety of DEI.

So you didn't care to read about my history of discrimination, as it were? Am I supposed to deny these experiences, or is it just that they couldn't possibly matter since I'm not a member of a DEI "approved" race or group.... I mentioned it as part of my personal history, to counter the claim that "white people never faced any real barriers". Nothing could be further from the truth.

As I said, there's much wrong with any movement or organization that holds members of any particular group as inherently evil, ( "racist") and advocates the denial of basic human rights to that group based on the assumption that they have wronged others in the past, or that this evil is inherent in their genes, and they must be punished.

That is enough, I don't enjoy banging my head against a brick wall.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:07 PM

631 posts, read 403,254 times
Now add all of that ON TOP of facing constant racial barriers (to the point this country had to lose over 600k people in a Civil War to prevent one group of people from owning another group of people) and possibly even losing your life for being born the wrong color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think it's hysterical ( and oh so myopic) that a resident DEI proponent assumes, by virtue of their skin color, that people labeled "white" had charmed lives, sailed effortless through life, in whatever paths they took, because they "never faced any real barriers".......

As though "white people" were immune to poverty, alcoholism, family dysfunction, child and spousal abuse, crime, and yeah, even discrimination by those in power for reasons known only to those doing the discriminating.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:39 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Default Not the entirety of DEI, merely the friendly mask the backers of DEI wear to cover their racism

Quote:
Not the entirety of DEI, merely the friendly mask backers of DEI wear to cover their racism.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:22 PM

162 posts, read 231,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
It’s interesting that they don’t get rid of legacies. If you have a relative that attended the university when it was segregated, you can get in over other more qualified applicants. The same skin color over merit argument.

This is a great point. If "merit" is the only consideration then legacies should also be eliminated.

Old 03-13-2024, 01:16 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
This is a great point. If "merit" is the only consideration then legacies should also be eliminated.

post 107..UF don't do legacies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
looks like it's zero....at least that's what they say

5. “Since my family members are UF graduates, I have a better chance of being admitted.”

”While we admire that you want to continue the Gator legacy in your family, UF does not consider alumni relations in the admissions process.”

https://admissionbydesign.com/resour...cts-and-myths/
UF does not consider alumni relations in the admissions process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida