Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will become the next "hotspot" in FL development
Ocala 17 44.74%
Daytona Beach 3 7.89%
Port St Lucie 8 21.05%
St Augustine 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 09:54 AM

25,929 posts, read 12,951,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I'll keep an eye on PSL based on this, as I'm curious to see how they would change the structure and feel of the city.

As for Coral Gables, there are still quite a few surface parking lots, and every time I am down there, there seems to be a new midrise taking up its spot. Like this big hotel that now sits on what was recently a huge parking lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7448...!1e3?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7441...8192?entry=ttu
Odd zoning, high rise hotel right next door to single family residences. Last time I was there was to shop for cars at The Collection. Pat Reilly was there buying a car for his wife.

Another time I went to an art show there...or in neighboring Coconut Grove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 01:26 PM

102 posts, read 85,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Kids and Grandkids get it...they want to visit the Grandparents, who live near the beach.

If 1 set of Grandparents was in Lakeleland, & the other was in North Port, which would the kids want to visit?

Most of Florida's population is w/in 30 minutes to a beach...because that is what is most desireable.

This map depicts population density in unique 3D form, which is easy to see:

https://www.reddit.com/r/florida/com...ida/?rdt=57547

Find the most vacant land for sale w/in 30 mins to a beach, & a hwy, & you have a place that will have enormous future growth...like North Port.

Working, & middle class peeps need affordable places to live too, so they build homes for them inland where its not as desireable, & land costs less.

So, the OP's query comes down to which group do you think will grow the fastest in FLA over the next 20 years, & where will they live/visit?

I think Florida will continue its trend towards affluence, & that group will continue to outpace the workers & middle class. That means affluent buyers needing the more desireable homes w/in 30 mins to the beach.

That is why I cannot see the next boomtown being inland.

5 of the largest FLA metro's (Jax, Miami, Ft. Laud, WPB, Tampa Bay) are w/in 30 mins to beach.

Only 1 large FLA metro (ORL) is not near the beach.
Orlando's metro area is the third largest in the state.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:56 PM

970 posts, read 578,952 times
Umm, none of them.

Did OP pick these cities out of a hat?

Old 05-05-2024, 12:12 PM

733 posts, read 1,305,876 times
Just to shake things up, I'll say Florida's Inland Coast, Winter Haven. Quietly, there's a lot happening on the Winter Haven side of the Lakeland-Winter Haven metro. Outside of that, I vote Ocala as the northern most point of the "Florida Triangle" in terms of development along I-75 down into the Bay Area, I-4 stretching to Orlando, then up the turnpike to completion in the next 25-50 years. BUY LAND NOW, if you can, lol.

Last edited by HeartofFlorida; 05-05-2024 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Umm, none of them.

Did OP pick these cities out of a hat?
I'm with you. To have a boom city requires land...lots of land, & being a coastal city increases your chances a lot.

Jax has lots of land, & so does North Port...both on or near the coast.

Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
Orlando's metro area is the third largest in the state.
Due to Disney, & I don't see a 2nd Disney creating another boomtown inland.

Of the inland cities w/ the most potential are Ocala and Lakeland, both due to be transportation hubs, & being centrally located along key Interstates.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

648 posts, read 417,211 times
Honestly, I don't think I was harsh enough.

While I'm glad to see there is some semblance of infrastructure growth coming to the PSL, lord knows its needed and the NIMBYs need to stay out of the way(they're partially to blame for holding up progress) I don't foresee a future where PSL isn't a bedroom community to those priced out of South Florida.

If that day is to ever come, alot more than cheaper housing will be necessary - The county will need to attract employers that pay living wages for starters and that will need to be first addressed by a better educated workforce soooo Higher Education will need to be addressed, but then that mean K-12 needs to be upgraded significantly. The real question is, where are all PSL's resident high tax dollars going? It sure isn't public education.

Also, I've never lived a day of my life in PSL..I'm all Palm Beach County, but I have enough experience with PSL with get this...PRICED OUT family members and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
I think this statement is little harsh and maybe it's more reflective of how PSL was when you lived there. I find Port St Lucie to have amenities and conveniences comparable to suburbs of most large metropolitan areas. The area has many golf courses including the PGA village, the beach is within 30 minutes of most people, there are many parks including some bordering the north fork of the St Lucie River and the Savannas Preserve State Park. The nearby towns of Stuart, Jensen Beach, and Fort Pierce all have restaurants and nightlife that will work for most people over the age of 30. They are also opening a Dave & Busters in PSL and have had a Pop Stroke (Tiger Woods' restaurant concept with putting greens) location for some time. Tradition has a small town center with restaurants and there are many shopping centers with restaurants and bars typical of most suburbs.

I don't know the precise definition of "boom town", but I would have thought PSL qualified as a boom town long ago.

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

17,369 posts, read 15,524,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Due to Disney, & I don't see a 2nd Disney creating another boomtown inland.

Of the inland cities w/ the most potential are Ocala and Lakeland, both due to be transportation hubs, & being centrally located along key Interstates.
It WAS due to Disney, but that's hardly been the case for quite some time. The I-4 corridor in general has exploded due to... Well, I-4 in general, and Orlando in particular has the advantage of having access to the Space Coast via the 528, South FL via the turnpike, both coasts via I-4, massive college campuses, a massive airport, and of course, all of the recreational amenities along and around I-Drive not related to Disney. And of course, being a mere 45 minutes from beautiful beaches without having to worry about storm surges and the most catastrophic effects of hurricanes. It also attracts a very large Latin population, as a second option to Miami for most, and somehow, the first option for Puerto Ricans (in Florida.)

Lakeland is booming due in part of being a huge logistics hub, but also as a direct result of being right in between Orlando and Tampa. It's a happy medium between the two.

Ocala will continue to grow as it attracts those who want to be in Florida, but also want more land (i.e., horse country, ranches, etc.) and retirees moving to and around The Villages (can't afford Naples, but want to be in Florida... Or simply want to be in Florida, but inland away from potential natural catastrophes.)

There is a lot at play that contributes to the growth of these three inland areas, and it isn't quite as simple as "Disney" and "logistics." I don't think most of the near 3 million people in the Orlando metro put much thought into Disney, and even the theme parks for that matter. They're nice to have in the backyard, but it's hardly the main reason why people move there.

Similarly, I don't think most residents of Lakeland are there due to the abundance of Amazon warehouses.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

17,561 posts, read 39,213,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
It WAS due to Disney, but that's hardly been the case for quite some time. The I-4 corridor in general has exploded due to... Well, I-4 in general, and Orlando in particular has the advantage of having access to the Space Coast via the 528, South FL via the turnpike, both coasts via I-4, massive college campuses, a massive airport, and of course, all of the recreational amenities along and around I-Drive not related to Disney. And of course, being a mere 45 minutes from beautiful beaches without having to worry about storm surges and the most catastrophic effects of hurricanes. It also attracts a very large Latin population, as a second option to Miami for most, and somehow, the first option for Puerto Ricans (in Florida.)

Lakeland is booming due in part of being a huge logistics hub, but also as a direct result of being right in between Orlando and Tampa. It's a happy medium between the two.

Ocala will continue to grow as it attracts those who want to be in Florida, but also want more land (i.e., horse country, ranches, etc.) and retirees moving to and around The Villages (can't afford Naples, but want to be in Florida... Or simply want to be in Florida, but inland away from potential natural catastrophes.)

There is a lot at play that contributes to the growth of these three inland areas, and it isn't quite as simple as "Disney" and "logistics." I don't think most of the near 3 million people in the Orlando metro put much thought into Disney, and even the theme parks for that matter. They're nice to have in the backyard, but it's hardly the main reason why people move there.

Similarly, I don't think most residents of Lakeland are there due to the abundance of Amazon warehouses.
Great post and I 100% agree with all of it. I feel Disney isn't even the main draw for people moving to Orlando as it is for people moving to the coasts for beaches. Folks have other reasons. I also agree about the Latin populations; I am Spanish myself, and Lakeland has a growing Latino population; probably as a "spillover" from Orlando and Tampa. There are quite a few Asians here, also. When I speak of Lakeland being boom town (as in the articles) this also includes Winter Haven, it is all part of the metro. I just feel a lot of people outside these areas just really don't have a grasp what is happening to the entire Tampa to Orlando region. There are many, many reasons why the entire area is booming; and it is a whole lot more than Disney or warehouses.

Eventually, I see the entire area from Tampa to Orlando becoming a "megalopolis" if you will - this was predicted many years ago and I am seeing it happening now. This whole area is Florida's future "Silicon Valley."

Lastly, I do think many people prefer living in an area a bit more protected from weather catastrophes - while we aren't immune from hurricanes, it is nice not to have to worry about storm surge. And homeowner's insurance is a lot cheaper and easier to get when you are away from the coast.

Old Today, 04:10 PM

3,270 posts, read 3,226,793 times
Gypsychic, I just read a lovely article about Florida Southern College as being the site of the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings in the country. There’s 18! It must be a beautiful campus. Score one for Lakeland!

Apparently Gainesville lost out on having one FLW building. A fraternity that had arranged for his lecture on campus asked him to design a new frat house for them at UF. Sadly, only the blueprints have survived what were long processes regarding permits, costs and university approval. We had our chance, yet blew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida