Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 34,291 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are both born and raised in Alaska and cannot wait to get out! We are just tired of the crappy weather and never having anything to do ... except shovel snow. Florida seems like the perfect solution for us, but we need help in finding a good place to live. We are interested in renting an appartment and are looking near Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palm Coast, and Daytona Beach. We will both be in college there so our rent max is around $1000. Any help in finding a safe area to live in thats close to the beach and not too far away from the city would be awesome!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 04:37 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
1,000 a month opens you up to the entire state except for the keys and Miami-Dade County. NE Florida is nice, but are you open to other parts of the state, like the panhandle, central Florida, or even south Florida? Your price range, like I said, will cover you from Pensacola all the way down to Ft. Lauderdale. Also, do you guys have jobs rounded up, or have you researched what wages are like for a typical college job before you came up with that rental figure? I just want to make sure, as Florida is not known for good pay.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM

Yes, my boyfriend is transfering with a job through FedEx (which is nice) and I plan on getting a job waitressing or somewhere where I can make tips. We would really like to stay near the beach as opposed to more inland and I have to be close to a nursing school.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Compelled is right. You can live about anywhere, assuming he can transfer to any FedEx.

I would base my decision on where I was going to school.

In general, the areas surrounding all the major colleges are safe.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Thank you

Old 06-07-2008, 07:08 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
One MAJOR exception RMD. Some areas around University of South Florida in Tampa are NOT safe. Then the area around FIU is plenty safe but it's not common to run into someone who speaks English. The latter won't apply to the OP because Miami-Dade was pretty much ruled out.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:25 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
There's a lot of smaller colleges too that offer nursing programs. No need to attend a MAJOR college and pay those tuitions. Ocala has CFCC (Central FL Community College with some satellite schools), Inverness has WTI (Withlacoochee Technical College), Leesburg has LSCC (Lake Sumter Community College) all that offer nursing and i know of a Fed Ex office located in Brooksville which is 25 minutes from Inverness. I'm sure Ocala and Leesburg both have a Fed Ex office too since they are fairly large areas.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirl08 View Post
My boyfriend and I are both born and raised in Alaska and cannot wait to get out! We are just tired of the crappy weather and never having anything to do ... except shovel snow. Florida seems like the perfect solution for us, but we need help in finding a good place to live. We are interested in renting an appartment and are looking near Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palm Coast, and Daytona Beach. We will both be in college there so our rent max is around $1000. Any help in finding a safe area to live in thats close to the beach and not too far away from the city would be awesome!!!!
Jacksonville would definitely have you covered on all counts.

$1000/mo. would rent you something very nice either right at the beach or anywhere else in Jacksonville you'd want to live.

Our 2 main colleges are both located just in from the ocean, on the west side of the Intracoastal Waterway and are less that a 15 minute drive to the ocean. A lot of college-aged people live either at the beaches or in the area known as "Intracoastal West" - both areas are great for commuting to school and for work:

University of North Florida (UNF)
University of North Florida

Florida Community College of Jacksonville (FCCJ)
florida community college at jacksonville

Work is also easy to find if you choose to live in the Intracoastal West area I mentioned above. Literally across the street from UNF is our newest shopping area - the Saint Johns Town Center - it's very upscale and it's huge, a lot of college kids work here in retail or restaurants:

Simon Malls | More Choices — St. Johns Town Center ™ Information, St. Johns Town Center ™ Gift Cards

If you want to find out more about Jacksonville, post your Q's on the Jacksonville subforum .

Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Wow, thank you guys so much! You've been so much help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida