Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 100,948 times

Advertisements

If I move to Fla, are the "natives" going to hate me? I promise not to throw trash around and keep my yard clean and try to talk slower....I am a product of my current environment and it will be an adjustment but that doesn't make me a bad person. I just want a chance to live near my sister who i havent lived near since we were kids... Why do southerners hate northerners so much, we're just people who live somewhere else...

Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,506,235 times
There aren't enough true Floridians left to matter.

Some Southerners hate Northerners because they're still fighting the War Between the States. But, Florida is not really part of that "South". The real reason why Floridians hate Northerners is because so many of the Northerners drive slow in the left lane...

Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM

38 posts, read 217,559 times
lol! Thank you for your honesty PslOldTimer. I am a little concerned with some of the redneck type 'get out of my land' type people, but I also thought they were the exception rather than the rule. I can understand people being upset about littering and bad driving, but this seems like something that can be worked out through community efforts and perhaps stricter enforcement. My family knows a lot of the people where I'm moving to, so I'm not too worried.

To the OP, Jersey Girl, I wouldn't frett it too much. I think the older 'mean type' rednecks are becoming fewer and far between. I can tell just from this board and people that I know from Florida that there are plenty of good people to make up for the mean ones (haters). They're probably just bitter that people wealthier and classier than them, with more expensive cars like Volvo's, that can afford to build nice homes next to theirs are moving to town . Lol!

Old 05-19-2006, 06:09 AM

Default classier and wealthier....

Well, I certainly don't consider myself classier and wealthier.....I currently live in a shore community in New Jersey that has a tourist season and all of the New Yorkers and Pennsylvanians come to our beaches and like every touristy area, some are good eggs and some are bad. I appreciate what that is like so everywhere I go I try to respect the place I'm in. I love Jersey...I love Florida, I love California, England, New York, France....I just wanna experience other places and people and I think a lot of people feel that way. Plus in Fla I can be closer to my family which is important. Now....is there anyone out ther who can direct me to a nice area. My husband is being transferred to Tampa so it has to be within commuting distance. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2006, 08:46 AM

91 posts, read 337,128 times
I, too am from NJ, shore area and currently live in PA and am heading south. I am done with the winters.My friend is also relocating to the Tampa area. She had a house built in Brandon, which is right outside of Tampa. 2 of her kids attend Tampa U. and has one in grammar school. Her husband is a teacher working in the Hillsborough school system. She is still up here until her house sells. As soon as that's done, she is out of here!!

I hope to out by early next month.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:52 AM

Are you going to the Brandon area as well? How is it there, have you ever been?

Old 05-19-2006, 03:38 PM

121 posts, read 786,300 times
Don't worry hon, everything is ok and safe here except we have the biggest baddest roaches anywhere.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:15 PM

38 posts, read 217,559 times
Jersey Girl, just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that you, me or anyone else in particular is any wealthier than rednecks or the like. There were some previous threads with comments expressing anger towards "Volvo driving Yankees/northerners". I was alluding to that as to point out that perhaps they are just angry due to a perception of wealth and class in those moving in-state.

As for class, there are two kinds. Class which defines income level (which I could care less about) and class which defines mentality. I was referring to the mentality class which some people seem to be lacking in.

Sorry for any confusion. I hope your find a nice place to live. I've heard a lot of good things about the northern part around Ocala, Gainesville, High Springs area.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:04 PM

41 posts, read 305,445 times
Default Moving to Florida

Hi,
I'm orginally from the Philadelphia area and have been in NJ for the past 12 years. We moved to Florida two seperate times and I can tell you first hand that you will find good and bad experiences down there. The cost of housing still beats up here and the weather is great. Some things you may need to get use to are:

-People may feel that the need to proclaim, "You're not from around here, are you?"
-You may be called a Yankee.
-You will be told that you talk to quickly.
-People may think you're yelling at them and become quite defensive (when in fact your just explaining a point).
-We've found a lot of "swindlers" working in the Orlando area that think they are slick and can take advantage. Ex- not giving back proper change etc.
-There will be bugs...lots of bugs. Along with those bugs come spray (for the yard and on the people).
-You will learn what a "fogger" is.
-Some areas have gangs (and not gangs of retirees on golf carts either!)
-If you argue, you may be accused of thinking that you're smarter then everyone else.
-If you talk about "back home" it does not sit well with the locals.

Outside of that, it's really just the matter of what you can deal with. It's a nice state filled with great areas as well as seedy ones. I personally found it difficult to acclimate to, but everybody has their own experience. Hope it works out well for you!!

Old 05-21-2006, 01:42 PM

91 posts, read 337,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth
Are you going to the Brandon area as well? How is it there, have you ever been?
No, moving to Fort Myers. Have family in Tampa and my friend who will be there soon enough. I didn't really care for the area, too busy!

My friend says that although Brandon is right outside of Tampa, it's still being developed, so it's quieter for now.

I chose Fort Myers over Tampa because it just appears to be cleaner, not as trafficky and there seems to be better beach access. Job opportinities are there for us as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida