Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: cost of living, tax help, market, retirement, home prices.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 AM

132 posts, read 427,637 times

Advertisements

OK... so I am a Cali guy who has yet to move to or live in Florida (just visits) but this might all soon change... but I have been warned by others and have read on here so many people complaining about property tax and the high cost of living etc... let me share a few things with you from where I am at, maybe the FLHaters will see things differently

State income Tax
California has it... Florida does not
Win goes to FL

Sales Tax
CA avg 7.25%
FL avg 6%
Win goes to FL

Fuel tax per gallon
CA $0.639
FL $0.516
Win goes to FL

Combined Tax burden ranking 2007 (State/Local/Federal... #1 being the worst)
CA 8th
FL 12th
Win goes to FL

Nuff said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Now compare wages/incomes.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM

Isn't everything relative? The tide raises all ships...

My point was the excessive complaining about how tough they have it and the over all negitivity... Floridians have not cornered the market in high taxes etc... Oklahoma was the cheapest, it was ranked 50th... maybe that is an option for those who don't like FL?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Now compare wages/incomes.

Exactly wages in Florida are pathetic, and lets not also forget that the less you make in a lifetime, the less you will recieve at retirement. So you will live poor and retire poor.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Maybe this will help...

IM-2007-02 (State Median Income Estimates for Optional Use in Federal Fiscal Year 2007 LIHEAP Program and Mandatory Use in Federal Fiscal Year 2008 LIHEAP Programs) (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/guidance/information_memoranda/im07-02.html - broken link)

Avg income family of 4
CA $70,712
FL $62,269

That's a 12% difference...

Sacramento is an avg place in CA, not near the bay, mountains, dust bowl for allergies... I will compare this to Sarasota which is more expensive place then most in FL... I used FL avg income... this is what the numbers say...

Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney

Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I was looking at the price of homes in California, no way could I afford to live in a home like mine there. Its 10 years old with a HUGE backyard, cinder block construction with almost 2000 sq feet with a large one car garage.

YES you get paid more in California but the cost of living is also VERY high there. I have friends who have moved here from California just so they could afford to own a home. They used to live in Cali and they lived in a rented place with three kids.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
Nuff said?
Actually, no.

So, CA is more expensive than FL.

Ok? And your point other than CA is more expensive than FL?

My dh was making more money in FL & our COL was cheaper in FL than where we moved.

Sometimes people move based on other factors than taxes & cost of gas (which, by the way, is expensive everywhere so not sure about your point in that one).

Please, move to where you are happy. Go for it. No need to bash on those who don't share your same views. You are trying to instigate. It's not necessary. Maybe start a thread about forest fires in CA versus hurricanes in FL...that would be something new to get the junior high cheerleaders on both sides all excited.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Actually, no.

So, CA is more expensive than FL.

My dh was making more money in FL & our COL was cheaper in FL than where we moved.

Sometimes people move based on other factors than taxes & cost of gas (which, by the way, is expensive everywhere so not sure about your point in that one).

Please, move to where you are happy. Go for it. No need to bash on those who don't share your same views. You are trying to instigate. It's not necessary. Maybe start a thread about forest fires in CA versus hurricanes in FL...that would be something new to get the junior high cheerleaders on both sides all excited.

That was exactly my point, to those that think the cost of living in FL is so awful, I simply showed it's not that bad... I thank you for validating my point... I am simply showing the other side of the coin, maybe it might help somone to appreciate what they have?

Please, move to where you are happy
If you read what I had to say you would know that I am planning on moving to FL, and that I see it as an opportunity and a lower cost of living... that can't be said for someone moving from FL to Cali...

No need to bash on those who don't share your same views. You are trying to instigate
I never bashed, not once, stating clear facts only (not opinions) from 3rd party news sources... but you are bordering on it saying that I am... why is it that the stats I displayed made you so angry at me? The messenger has been shot, the message stays the same...

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
This IS the kind of Homework people Should DO BEFORE they move! Not move Then Complain about the new location...GREAT Work!!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I agree! The chronic complaining about Florida gets tiresome. I also believe it gives people who come to City Data for relocation information a skewed view of the state and its people. No place is perfect, but Florida has many good points that often get lost in the negativity. One of the biggest pluses for me is the friendliness of the people who live in Florida. I'm always amazed at how truly nice Floridians are to deal with and how helpful they are when you need a hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida