Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM

50 posts, read 194,833 times

Advertisements

Check Flagler Beach, homes reasonably priced www.cityofflaglerbeach.com or
Flagler County Government | The Official Site of the Board of County Commissioners (http://www.flaglercounty.org/pages.php?PB=1 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 05:46 AM

85 posts, read 199,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The Keys are out with a 200K budget.
there are dumpy little places here for less the 200k now

and there are tons of mobiles for under that price

Quote:
I could be wrong here, but I'm not sure anywhere outside of the Keys is really good for snorkeling.
key largo on average has clearerest water , not sure about snorkeling anywhere else

techically you can go "snorkeling" anywhere but the keys has the only living barrier reef in the US

inshore waters in key west have feces in them, the best snorkeling/fishing/diving requires a boat

beaches are weak in the keys, , but a little offshore is awesome this is pic from saturday

I would be kind of skepical of snorkeling on the treasure coast, don't people mostly scuba dive up there?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiew127 View Post
Hello Everyone!
5. Our main objective in purchasing property is having a nice home to live in, rather than for investment purposes. Having said that, we would look to rent it out when we aren't there, preferably as a long term rental. We would be willing to give a really good rate just to have someone residing there in our absence for security reasons and to help offset insurance costs.
Hi Jackie!

First, if you're living in a house or condo 5 months, the other 7 months is not considered a long-term rental. That's a short-term lease, and no guarantees for tenants. Lots of deals in Florida, as elsewhere, these days.

Second, since you're so undecided, have you considered renting or buying an RV? You'd be able to travel all over the state and make a first-hand decision on where you want to eventually buy. I know they're not for everyone, but mobility might be to your advantage at this point. Spending $15-25,000 on an RV now might save you thousands in regret later.

Good Luck to you!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiew127 View Post
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post. I've been reading the forums for a bit and decided to jump in with the hopes of getting some advice from the experts. We live in Nova Scotia and have been giving much thought to buying a second home in the next few years, either in the Caribbean or Florida. It's been somewhat of a "pulling my hair out in frustration" experience deciding on a location. I've read so many message boards and have gotten so much conflicting information I am more lost now than when I started out. Let me provide some info to make it easier to advise me.
We would like somewhere to get away from our winters. Ideally, we would be spending about 5 months, from November to March, in our "fair-weather" home. Our children are grown, so don't have to take school and such into consideration. We are looking for:
1. A safe area
2. Near a nice beach, preferably one that has decent snorkeling off shore. The beach thing is very important.
3. Hubby is not too keen on HOA fees (unless they were on the low side), and he feels it would be better to buy a home and pay a neighbor or a management company to take care of it in our absence. Is he right? He's also very handy when it comes to home repairs, renovations etc.
4. An area that is least likely to be hit by hurricanes, realizing of course that hurricanes and Florida go together.
5. Our main objective in purchasing property is having a nice home to live in, rather than for investment purposes. Having said that, we would look to rent it out when we aren't there, preferably as a long term rental. We would be willing to give a really good rate just to have someone residing there in our absence for security reasons and to help offset insurance costs.
5. I couldn't live there in the summer due to my aversion to humidity, but would be fine in the winter months. Somewhere that gets a nice breeze to keep the bugs away would be great. I'm thinking that might be more on the Atlantic side, but please tell me if I'm wrong.
6. Would like an area that we wouldn't have to travel a long way to get to grocery store, pharmacy, liquor store, bank etc.

I'll probably think of more info to pass on the minute I post this, but that's enough to get started! Is Florida an option for us or should we take it of the list?
Thanks in advance to all who try to help me. I know from reading this forum that there will be lots of opinions, and I will appreciate all of them. One thing I ask is that if you recommend a place, please tell me why. I'm hoping to hear from lots of residents, as well as realtors for info on costs and whether we should be looking at condos, town homes, or private houses. Thanks again!!
One of the costs that you failed to mention was for the property taxes that you will be forced to pay. Being a nonresident, your taxes will not only be high, but will surpass most of your neighbors (SOH will not help you in any way). Florida also makes it very difficult (and expensive) for landlords... especially if you cannot rent your unit for the minimum six month intervals. Purchasing and owning a second home in Florida is an extremely expensive proposition. Have you ever been a landlord?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:33 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
3. Hubby is not too keen on HOA fees (unless they were on the low side), and he feels it would be better to buy a home and pay a neighbor or a management company to take care of it in our absence. Is he right? He's also very handy when it comes to home repairs, renovations etc.

HOAs keep your property looking nice by outlawing boats or large vehicles, assuring you and your neighbors keep your lawn mowed, and restricting signs, paint colors, etc. They won't take care of your house. If anything, they can work against you by not allowing you to install hurricane shutters except for a few days before the storm and then having to take them down a few days after the storm, otherwise there could be a fine.

Why not rent the first season using cyberrentals or vrbo and explore and ask questions while you're down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida