Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,937 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone...
I've been trying to read up on Lakeland, FL, as we are relocating to that area. I've also checked out some websites, however, I know nothing substitutes for local knowledge and finding out from the people themselves what you *really* wanna know!

Any Sonic Drive-Ins, Pizza Hut, Krispy Kreme donuts? (Hey, got kids, what can I say?)

What is the nicest area of town for living? (I know this can be highly subjective, but taking into account for good schools, low crime, entertainment possibilities, etc)

Would you recommend renting first or go ahead with buying a house?

Is there a Costco nearby?

What grocery stores are available?

And this is important ----- Are there any scrapbook supply stores in Lakeland??? If not, how far am I gonna have to drive to find one?

Let's hear all there is to hear about Lakeland! I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,088 times
Lakeland is a lovely town. It has that small town feel yet has a lot of shopping and other "big city" stuff....like a mall! (We don't even have a mall here in Kissimmee)

There is at least one Sonic from what I saw, a few Pizza Huts, but no Krispy Kreme or Costco The closest Krispy Kreme is in Kissimmee or in Brandon. The closest Costco is in Brandon and they also have a Krispy Kreme. It is about a 30 minute drive.

I am not that educated about the residential side of Lakeland because I only go there for the shopping and a good place to grab a bite to eat when coming from Tampa. Maybe someone else can help you with this though.

Good luck!

Love your name BTW

Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks CMJ....and given my screen name, probably a good thing that the nearest Krispy Kreme is a half hour away! LOL

Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 PM

561 posts, read 1,923,644 times
Here is some info on Lakeland:

http://www.shoplakesidevillage.net/home.aspx (broken link) <-- Lakeside village. I've been there and it is VERY nice. Especially love it during christmas. It snows in the center of the village every night and they have a beautiful tree also.

Lakeland, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <-- I found this interesting to read. Especially the history and famous people from Lakeland.

Crist Supports Funds For USF Lakeland | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL <-- The new USF Polytechnic campus which did pass in this years budget will break ground this fall. This will be huge for the entire area.

CFDC.org - News - Details (http://www.cfdc.org/home/news/details.aspx?id=194 - broken link) <-- The polk Commerce Center will compliment the new USF campus and vice versa

From what I hear from people South Lakeland and North Lakeland are the desirable areas. Central Lakeland (especially near the hospital and West), are areas to stay away from.

There is a Sams Club in Lakeland just north of the Lakeland Square Mall.

For doctors, my family and I go to Watson clinic. They are full service, clean, friendly, and most important do not accept Medicaid (at least the doctors we see there).

Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Mark...Thank you so much for all the terrific information!!! We are really looking forward to coming to Lakeland. (Sight unseen....we've not even been able to come on a house hunting trip!)

Is it possible to find out which zipcodes are located in the southern part of the city? Makes it easier for house hunting if you know zipcodes.

It looks like DH will be commuting out to Plant City.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,644 times
I'm not 100% sure, but I would guess 33803 and 33813 (south and more southside).

Good luck with everything!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Mark...Thank you so much for all the terrific information!!! We are really looking forward to coming to Lakeland. (Sight unseen....we've not even been able to come on a house hunting trip!)

Is it possible to find out which zipcodes are located in the southern part of the city? Makes it easier for house hunting if you know zipcodes.

It looks like DH will be commuting out to Plant City.
KrispyKreme - I answered your DM - hope you received it. We don't have Krispy Kreme, but I believe their doughnuts are available in Publix? We have a Dunkin Donuts and also a place called Donut Palace on the southside. I live near the vintage Southgate shopping center which was featured in the movie "Edward Scissorhands." I agree with the zipcodes Mark gave you - 33803 and 33813, south and more south as the best areas of town. Also if you are located near the Polk Parkway as we are, the commute to Plant City is an absolute breeze.

The Lakeside Village shopping center is absolutely fantastic - it was built like an alternate downtown - it is "open-air" and features a lot of great restaurants (including a few non-chain) and one of the most beautiful movie theaters I have seen - it is sort of an art deco architecture with multi-colored neon - the whole place looks like it belongs in an upscale California town.

There is much to love in this town - we have parks and recreational amenities available to the common citizens that most people would only find in private country clubs.

Hope you like it here!
~gypsy~

Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM

Umm...what's a "Publix"? (Coming from San Antonio and I guess we don't have that here.)

Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Umm...what's a "Publix"? (Coming from San Antonio and I guess we don't have that here.)
Thanks gypsy....I did get your DM and you were SO helpful!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Thanks gypsy....I did get your DM and you were SO helpful!
Publix is a Florida grocery store - actually based here in Lakeland. They are the best grocery store in the south. You'll see what I mean when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida