Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times

Advertisements

Why Jacksonville? It`s looking more and more desirable as time goes on for that city.

Those days that are in the upper 90`s feel better then the days like today, the humidity is higher on the rainy pattern days then the really hot days.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:49 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Didn't I just explain why that's not 100% true? If it were a haves or have nots situation, you would have a relatively high median income shared with an extremely high percentage of people below poverty (see Palm Beach County, Florida where that IS true). Florida has an average median income (only high in comparison to it's Southern neighbors, as I said) and a below average percentage of people below poverty (see Hillsborough or Duval County, Florida).

Also, What is the per capita income in Florida? What % of Florida citizens are below the per capita income and what % are above the per capita income? This would give a more accurate picture of how the wealth is distibuted in the population. Don't you think?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
What do you mean "there"? There is a US census study, here you go.
Florida
Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
United States
United States - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
(sample southern panacea) North Carolina
North Carolina - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
(wealthiest state) New Jersey
New Jersey - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

In case you are wondering, the cost of living overall in Florida is considered to be 4% above the US average. Of course that varies significantly between which part of the state you are in.

I appreciate the links. Interesting. One point that I wonder about is the 2006 per capita income for FL is about $25,000 and the median income is about $54,000. That would indicate to me that many more citizens make less than $54,000 than more. Do you agree with this or am I calculating that wrong?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I appreciate the links. Interesting. One point that I wonder about is the 2006 per capita income for FL is about $25,000 and the median income is about $54,000. That would indicate to me that many more citizens make less than $54,000 than more. Do you agree with this or am I calculating that wrong?
To be honest, this link should explain per-capita income better than me. What I was trying to say is that both the per capita and median incomes fare better than NC or other southern states and are not far off from the US average.

Per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, where the median income stats are, you can check out the "show more" link and that should give you a nice little breakdown. Check out the US averages as well. Florida does likely have a higher wealth disparity than other states but it also has a lower wealth disparity than many other states. It's pretty similar to the US average.

I don't really have much time to discuss at this point, but I will be sure to continue explaining Florida's economic situation later on, truths and myths, good and bad.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
Enjoy being outdoors?!?!?!?! Ya right.... January, February, some of march maybe. NOT HUMID???!!!.... WHERE ARE YOU LIVING???

Great roads.... Take a ride on Route 80, 60, Some down here in the Fort Myers area... What dreamland are you in?

Also state income tax is recouped in other places such as higher car insurance, homeowners insurance, 6-8% tax depending on what county you are in.
Can we agree that everyone has a personal choice and what might be difficult for some might be perfectly fine for others. Just because of the humidity I won't move. Is a matter of individuals preference.

Roads, What about roads in other states, are they all perfect?

My HOI and car insurance is less expensive than San Antonio and Grand Ford ND. Should your car insurance be based on your driving record and you home on the location and age of the building?

Please lets give opinions that can be based on reality and be trustful on how we display our opinions. Remember over 17 million individuals in the state and two car per family on the average.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Im not sure I understand how they calculate the per capita income in the state of Florida- does this include retired individuals? You can imagine that the numbers would be skewed if they are counting retirees with the working population.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM

119 posts, read 112,727 times
to say that florida (generalizing the whole state) is a bad place to live is dumb, it varies a lot from area to area. i'd agree that miami isnt a good place to live (overall), but not all of fla

Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM

119 posts, read 112,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
North Carolina IS. For as many people who come to Florida, as many LEAVE.

a lot of natives are leaving nc too. nc is changing. a lot of ppl arent from nc originally, and taxes, col, etc is going up... thus, natives nc's are leaving for less expensive places too. w va is going to grow a lot in the coming yrs.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Roads are definitley not perfect in other states. I was talking to another poster about perfect roads. No state has perfect roads that was not what I meant. The poster said the roads here are all perfect. Not true.

My insurance is $235 cheaper when I go back to Massachusetts. Yes Massachusetts where everyone says it's SO expensive to live. And that is also comparing it to a basic coverage here of 10,000/20,000/10,000 coverage here in Florida as opposed to 50,000/100,000/100,000 coverage in MA. My $387 6 month coverage as opposed to $152 for 6 months there. I also have a spotless driving record. And live in low crime Cape Coral. Still a huge difference.

I agree about the humidity, to each his own with weather. I like it here in January when there is no humidity, can't stand it here right now. But other would hate the freezing cold. Where as I can get used to it. It's all in individuals preference. If you see the post I replied to the member said it's not humid in North Florida. That's where I made my comment on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Can we agree that everyone has a personal choice and what might be difficult for some might be perfectly fine for others. Just because of the humidity I won't move. Is a matter of individuals preference.

Roads, What about roads in other states, are they all perfect?

My HOI and car insurance is less expensive than San Antonio and Grand Ford ND. Should your car insurance be based on your driving record and you home on the location and age of the building?

Please lets give opinions that can be based on reality and be trustful on how we display our opinions. Remember over 17 million individuals in the state and two car per family on the average.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:30 PM
BGF

57 posts, read 203,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.
And to me, North Florida is just so different from our southern part of the state.

Cal bear, that willy-nilly development you abhor can certainly be dreadful, but some of the worst examples I've ever seen of it were in SoCal, where the accompanying traffic was deplorable.

As for affordable college, fully 75% of my kid's tuition at Florida State is paid by the state of Florida because of his academic excellence.
Also, you must have heard of FAFSA? If you qualify, you'd get the help you need. I know several kids who have.
Perhaps we don't have UCLA, but University of Florida, FSU, and University of Miami represent us quite well.
Run-away suburban sprawl is where Cal-Bear currently is! I went for an interview in Silicon Valley, and I kept looking for the borders between San Jose, Cupertino, etc. I couldn't find them because the only thing that told me one town has ended and the other has begun was a little rectangular sign. Otherwise, the entire valley looked very much like one town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida