Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

People in the other states don't seem to miserable yet

Give it time. "They" will do to North Carolina what "they" did to Florida.

Half-backs to North Carolina are a recipe for disaster, as they are the ultimate malcontents - didn't like the first place, so they moved to Florida with all these expectations of "just like home" but with no income tax and year round sun and warmth...which they hated because it didn't turn out that way.... so they moved to North Carolina, and its beautiful 4 seasons and rolling hills and exponential growth.... until it doesn't meet their fantasies, and then they'll be off to the next big thing.

Florida will continue to be "boom and bust," as it always has. Some interesting stats regarding population grown and migration in and out of Florida:

University of Florida News - Economy slows Florida population growth to lowest level in 30 years

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, just go read those forums here on City-Data and you'll see a lot of the same complaints - LOL. I just think people everywhere think "the grass is greener."

As for Asheville, we had a house there for 3 years, I'm sorry but it IS mostly a hospitality/retail industry there, just like any resort in Florida. That is the #1 complaint of people who go there. Unless you are in medical (even those jobs have a waiting list) or an entrepreneur or wealthy retiree, making a living is tough. Also, the furniture manufacturing is dying there - it's being made overseas now for the most part, although the showrooms are there.

The only point I am making is that I don't see NC as a big "job mecca" - honestly other than the Triangle area, overall it's on par with Florida, IMO. It's a good place for retirees with a pension, though, although they have a state income tax and higher taxes in general.

I'm thinking a lot of folks here don't really realize how much we DO HAVE in Florida - this is just manufacturing in Polk County where I live:

CFDC.org - Business Expansion - Industries (http://www.cfdc.org/home/expansion/industries.aspx - broken link)

Check out the rest of that website, too, lots of good info. We also have an aerospace academy, breaking ground on USF Polytechnic, and about to break ground on a huge new CSX facility in Winter Haven (eventually up to 8,000 new jobs)

Florida has a lot more than just hospitality jobs, but it depends on the area of the state.

ETA: We also have Lockheed Martin, I don't think it was on that list:

Lockheed Martin - We never forget who we're working for.

This is the type of mentality that will assure that Florida will never progress (when anybody points out the problems, the answer is always "its like that everywhere"). Florida has an approx. population of 18,089,888 and North Carolina has a approx. population of 8,856,505. So the answer is "NO" Florida does not have enough major corporations (especially when you compare it to a state half its size) and its economy is mostly relient on tourism. This is a fact, the unemployment numbers hide the truth. Their are jobs in Florida but the majority are low-wage and their salaries are not comparable to other states north of here.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
I just don't understand how the median income and poverty level can fare significantly better than any other southern state if everyone works at McDonalds. In order for McDoanlds to open, somebody has to go there, and most independently wealthy people don't eat at McDonalds regularly . Yes, Florida has a service, real estate and small business based economy. There is a small amount of fortune 500 companies, but Florida still remains one of the better places to start your own business and of course there are jobs serving those small business ranging anywhere from IT to secretaries to managers to sales jobs to anything else you could think of. Generally speaking, Florida isn't the best place to start out, but only an idiot moves someplace without a job rounded up and then complains about "low wages" at Burger King because they decided to move for the sunshine and not even bother to come with a career . No, Florida is not a great startup, fresh out of college place, thats where your Houstons' and Atlantas' and Raleighs' come into play, but there are jobs for those with work experience and good work ethic, while the malcontents who come for sunny weather end up being the ones flipping burgers because they didn't bother to apply for a single job before they got here, they assumed the sunshine would provide it for them and now their the ones chanting it once they get here. Florida is a very interesting state in that way.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Give it time. "They" will do to North Carolina what "they" did to Florida.

Half-backs to North Carolina are a recipe for disaster, as they are the ultimate malcontents - didn't like the first place, so they moved to Florida with all these expectations of "just like home" but with no income tax and year round sun and warmth...which they hated because it didn't turn out that way.... so they moved to North Carolina, and its beautiful 4 seasons and rolling hills and exponential growth.... until it doesn't meet their fantasies, and then they'll be off to the next big thing.

Florida will continue to be "boom and bust," as it always has. Some interesting stats regarding population grown and migration in and out of Florida:

University of Florida News - Economy slows Florida population growth to lowest level in 30 years
Well, I don't have a problem with people roaming the country. It's big.

There's no preordained religious fundamental requirement that a person stay put where born, right? And just because somebody was born somewhere doesn't mean they "own" it, although in the south that thinking is quite pervasive.

My DH moved here from Greece and has lived in 4 states while working his way up his career path.

In fact I know quite a few people relocating for corporate purposes not because of psychological problems.

I always enjoyed watching old westerns like Gunsmoke with the settlers traveling the country (except for the animal abuse part).

I'm looking forward to seeing the country myself, after working in one state (but traveling to about 25 on business) for most of my years. Maybe as a resident maybe not....

BTW what's wrong with population churn? Florida was built on influx. My grandmother's brother started it in the 1920's in our family and we've been in and out ever since. And not to rehash an old OTHER thread here, but the STATE has always encouraged this. Including spring break which began in the 1935 circa.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
This is the type of mentality that will assure that Florida will never progress (when anybody points out the problems, the answer is always "its like that everywhere"). Florida has an approx. population of 18,089,888 and North Carolina has a approx. population of 8,856,505. So the answer is "NO" Florida does not have enough major corporations (especially when you compare it to a state half its size) and its economy is mostly relient on tourism. This is a fact, the unemployment numbers hide the truth. Their are jobs in Florida but the majority are low-wage and their salaries are not comparable to other states north of here.
So, do you live in North Carolina? You want to post the website for your county? If you looked at the whole website i posted for CFDC and read their mission statement, you would see that this county is committed to attracting large corporations with good jobs to keep our young people here. What more can one do? By the way, Polk County last year won the "All American County" award, this is a civic award given to only ten cities and counties in the COUNTRY each year.

So think what you want, you don't seem to want to see a balanced view, and honestly I don't care - but in the interest of fairness, newbies here need to see that Florida DOES have things to offer in the way of economic opportunities both now and in the future if they care to do some real research.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,236 times
The problem is people hear that North Carolina is the hot spot to move so everyone wants to move there. Florida was like that back in the day people moving in droves and not really doing any reaserch, I think the same is true for North Carolina.

Mild weather, mountains and cheap houses lets goto NC!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Here is a small example of how these companies in Florida screw people. My wife works for Albertsons, they as everyone knows sold to Publix in June. They have to "reapply" with Publix. My wife works full time as a scan clerk. She went to her joke of an interview today and good old Publix offered her 75 cents less pay AND to top it off, PART TIME, no benefits, really nice company... Well they have you by the "you know whats" because with the economy and no one hiring around here you are basically forced to take it... Therefore she is going to get a second part time job at 7-11 to make up for Publix being CHEAP. Thankfully a friend of hers is a manager there and is giving her hours. Then people wonder why people complain about it down here?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
The problem is people hear that North Carolina is the hot spot to move so everyone wants to move there. Florida was like that back in the day people moving in droves and not really doing any reaserch, I think the same is true for North Carolina.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post

Let me start off by saying that I am not a North Carolina Fan and if I ever did move there it would have to be for an absolutely great high paying job (I am not a fan of the real south and even the fake south, Florida,lol). But I am truly impressed by the dedication of cities like Charlotte and Raleigh to attract major corporate giants and strengthen their economies all while keeping the standard of living affordable. Charlotte after all is the second largest financial capitol in the US, that alone will attract people.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
CFDC.org - Business Expansion - Industries (http://www.cfdc.org/home/expansion/industries.aspx - broken link)

Check out the rest of that website, too, lots of good info. We also have an aerospace academy, breaking ground on USF Polytechnic, and about to break ground on a huge new CSX facility in Winter Haven (eventually up to 8,000 new jobs)

Florida has a lot more than just hospitality jobs, but it depends on the area of the state.

ETA: We also have Lockheed Martin, I don't think it was on that list:

Lockheed Martin - We never forget who we're working for.
Thanks for that excellent link. Very good news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida