Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM

338 posts, read 613,832 times

Advertisements

Florida's climate is too hot...

Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Florida's climate is too hot...
Which climate is that? North Florida, or South Florida? Inland, or Beachside?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Native Floridians and Transplants, do you consider Florida a good or great place for a vacation or to visit, yet a bad place to live year-round?
It depends on where you live...and what you're looking for. I lived on the Treasure Coast for a long time and once I reached my twenties, I realized that I HAD to leave. It's a great place for 'married w/childrens' but for single professionals-it was terrible! I'm much happier here in my new city- it feels like a 'better fit' for my current situation. I just think people really need to research a particular area before relocating. What might seem perfect for an elderly couple may not be the greatest place for a young, single person.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 43,864 times
Default Florida - Good or Bad Place to Live?

As someone who moved from California for Florida three times under the premise that lower living costs would translate into a better quality of life, I must say that the "cost of living" is as much a qualitative indice as quantitative. I ended up "running" back to California each time. Although I have family in St. Pete and Tampa, am addicted to red snapper, and love the fruits, I found Florida as culturally and socially flat as its topography. I missed the savvy of California, the laid back nature of the place, and the opportunities that simply being there provides. As an African American, seeing and knowing so many folks in service and hospitality jobs was utterly depressing, as well as the level of civic debate and discourse.

No disrespect, but Florida is not a hotbed of intellectual activity. Nothing like a Stanford, Berkeley, or UCLA there. I came to the conclusion that I would rather work my hands to the bone in California than live in Florida (or the South for that matter). This may well change after I receive my Ph.D. - but for me, Florida's only positive is as a gateway to the Caribbean.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default Coming from NY,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal bear View Post
As someone who moved from California for Florida three times under the premise that lower living costs would translate into a better quality of life, I must say that the "cost of living" is as much a qualitative indice as quantitative. I ended up "running" back to California each time. Although I have family in St. Pete and Tampa, am addicted to red snapper, and love the fruits, I found Florida as culturally and socially flat as its topography. I missed the savvy of California, the laid back nature of the place, and the opportunities that simply being there provides. As an African American, seeing and knowing so many folks in service and hospitality jobs was utterly depressing, as well as the level of civic debate and discourse.

No disrespect, but Florida is not a hotbed of intellectual activity. Nothing like a Stanford, Berkeley, or UCLA there. I came to the conclusion that I would rather work my hands to the bone in California than live in Florida (or the South for that matter). This may well change after I receive my Ph.D. - but for me, Florida's only positive is as a gateway to the Caribbean.
specifically, Manhattan born and raised, I can fully understand and appreciate what you are saying.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
All of the above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Which climate is that? North Florida, or South Florida? Inland, or Beachside?

Old 08-09-2008, 03:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
specifically, Manhattan born and raised, I can fully understand and appreciate what you are saying.
Who on earth are you hanging out with?
I am no intellectual giant, but I have met many intelligent, active folks here (two friends actually hail from the Bay Area.)
The best aspect is that the people I've met have been doers rather than just talkers: concerts are promoted, funds raised for the local library, there was even a peace rally at the courthouse.
Make no mistake, I certainly concur that there is neither a Berkeley here, nor as much of a Berkeley attitude. There is only one California, and, for that matter, only one Manhattan. One doesn't need a PhD to understand that such places cannot be recreated elsewhere (nor should they).
However, after a year in my new home, I hardly see it as a cultural wasteland. I've lived everywhere from the Tenderloin to New York, and none of those places were perfect but I do believe that you get out of a living situation what you put into it.
I do agree with Prettygyrl that there are different fits at different stages of life, and some do a bit of seeking before finding their niche.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:52 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
As someone who moved from California for Florida three times under the premise that lower living costs would translate into a better quality of life, I must say that the "cost of living" is as much a qualitative indice as quantitative. I ended up "running" back to California each time.
3 times?!? Did you think it would be different each time?

We came to Vero Beach from Boston, Chicago, and DC in that order and we wouldn't go back to any one of those places.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:22 AM

137 posts, read 545,959 times
People use to say this to me all of the time and I use to think that they were crazy, how could a beautiful place like FL not be great to live in but now I have figured it out!!! It's a great place to vacation because the touristy areas are beautiful however, the places where you actually live are different. I'm not going to say why b/c I don't want to bash anyones culture but those of you who know what I what I mean, know why!

Old 08-09-2008, 07:56 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sange77 View Post
I'm not going to say why b/c I don't want to bash anyones culture but those of you who know what I what I mean, know why!

Even though the article says it's mostly economic, I think that is only part of the story.

Non-Hispanic whites leaving Broward, Palm Beach County in large numbers -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida