Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
In IT jobs, there are only 60K in the entire industry available in FL, and they pay 15-20k lower across the board. Also some of the more specialized stuff... lets say, DBA's...only 5000k positions for the state. In contrast in California there are 412K jobs in that industry there...
Oddly enough, plenty of high tech jobs in these parts. But they're almost never entry level tech jobs that any half-trained monkey with a BS in computer science can fill. Minimum is generally 5 years (and preferably 10+ years) doing very specific types of programming and systems development as well as holding an active security clearance.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 AM

158 posts, read 158,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
I would agree that some of the people here are worse than the heat and humidity. LOL. There are some real good people here though as well. The drivers in general for Orlando in particular are bad. BUT, I will admit that in CT as a whole, generally speaking the drivers can be just as bad. Some can be very impatient and aggressive. The thing with the drivers here in Orlando (and in my travels throughout FL), that I hate the most though, is the lack of turn signal usage. It just baffles me how some of these people just refuse to use them! I have known people in CT to be given tickets for not using turn signals. Is it not a law here?

The Capitals Of Crash - Men's Health <--Best and Worst Cities

Top States with America's Worst Drivers - ABC News <--Best and Worst States

The northeast, particularly the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT), are known for their "bad drivers".

Bottom line for me though, it's not the drivers in a city or state that have heavily influenced my decision to leave FL...

Yep, I know exactly where they meet. What happened???
Yes, and a lot of those folks are now in FL! That's a huge reason why FL drivers are bad. So many people from states like NY. NJ, and CT where they can be pretty aggressive.

I'll DM you my story. Look for it!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
RN Median Hourly Rate by State (2006)*

* California: $31.88
* Florida: $23.26
* Georgia: $23.83
* Illinois: $25.00
* Pennsylvania: $25.00
* Tennessee: $22.25
* Texas: $25.00

Nurse Practitioner Median Salary by State (2006)*

* California: $80,000
* Florida: $70,000
* Texas: $71,000
* Pennsylvania: $70,000
* Georgia: $65,000
* New York: $70,000
* Tennessee: $65,000

Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
Median Salary by State (2006)*

* California: $100,000
* Florida: $105,000
* Texas: $112,500
* Pennsylvania: $105,000
* Illinois: $100,000
* Georgia: $108,000
* North Carolina: $110,000

Nurse Salary & Career Opportunities | Get Nursing Salaries Information on All Nursing Schools

Oh, but whoa is Florida, sooo much lower than "the rest of the states in the USA" --- Waaaaaaaah!
Salary.com

an RN Staff Nurse in San Francisco averages $76,174.

The bottom 10% makes $62k and the top 10% makes 90k +

an RN Staff Nurse in Tampa averages $59,353.

The bottom 10% makes $48k and the top 10% makes 70k +

an RN Staff Nurse in Los Angeles averages $69,566.

The bottom 10% makes $56k and the top 10% makes 82k +

an RN Staff Nurse in Orlando averages $59,521.

The bottom 10% makes $48k and the top 10% makes 70k +

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Certified RN in Florida $96,000
That's b.s.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM

[quote=Doctor Octagon;8997948]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
California pays WAYYYY better...

My wife is in school to be an RN and has already been recruited by a few hospitals, One in San Francisco (UCSF Medical Center) offered her a starting salary of $73k a year...

How much does an RN make fresh out of school in Florida ?[/quote]

In general, based on 3 12-hr shifts, I think about $45k.
Yeah, she was also given an offer from Tampa General for $42k and laughed.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
How can anyone believe in and stick up for salaries in Florida when just about everyone knows they have always been among the lowest in the country? Florida salaries are a laughing stock to the rest of the country. I know old retirees that even laugh at them saying they made more money 30 years ago in another state then Florida pays now. Maybe the reason is these were skilled jobs. The only ones I can see happy about the Florida job market and salaries would be the Haitians/Bahamians and Guatemalens/Mexicans/South Americans that are floating in on rafts and inner tubes. The average salaries in these for lack of a better term countries is something like $1,000 per year on the high end. People in Florida need to wake up and join the 21st century and stop settling for the crap status quo that was once dirt cheap living and OK to make no money old Florida days. Those days are long gone. I just don't get it.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
How can anyone believe in and stick up for salaries in Florida when just about everyone knows they have always been among the lowest in the country? Florida salaries are a laughing stock to the rest of the country. I know old retirees that even laugh at them saying they made more money 30 years ago in another state then Florida pays now. Maybe the reason is these were skilled jobs. The only ones I can see happy about the Florida job market and salaries would be the Haitians/Bahamians and Guatemalens/Mexicans/South Americans that are floating in on rafts and inner tubes. The average salaries in these for lack of a better term countries is something like $1,000 per year on the high end. People in Florida need to wake up and join the 21st century and stop settling for the crap status quo that was once dirt cheap living and OK to make no money old Florida days. Those days are long gone. I just don't get it.
So true! Acknowledge there is a problem with the pay in Florida and demand better! This, not denial, will eventually lead to a better way of life there.

Also, better pay will attract the best professionals to work there. This will increase the quality of healthcare and other professional services.

Don't allow the economy and job situation to deteriorate into the very wealthy and the others who work slave wages to attend to the very wealthy.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So true! Acknowledge there is a problem with the pay in Florida and demand better! This, not denial, will eventually lead to a better way of life there.

Also, better pay will attract the best professionals to work there. This will increase the quality of healthcare and other professional services.

Don't allow the economy and job situation to deteriorate into the very wealthy and the others who work slave wages to attend to the very wealthy.
Very true. Unfortunately Florida doesn't exactly attract the Brain Trust. Most people come down with stars in their eyes and then just end up settling for scraps when things do not pan out. Florida is probably the unofficial home of the MBA waiter/waittress. They just say this is Florida and that's just the way it is. You cannot have progress when this continues to happen. Better pay and actual benefits and actual industry would attract the younger and educated professionals for sure as it has done in Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, etc. Most people do not come to Florida looking for the same things though. They are expecting an easier life instead. They are not thinking of advancement. A fallacy.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Very true. Unfortunately Florida doesn't exactly attract the Brain Trust. Most people come down with stars in their eyes and then just end up settling for scraps when things do not pan out. Florida is probably the unofficial home of the MBA waiter/waittress. They just say this is Florida and that's just the way it is. You cannot have progress when this continues to happen. Better pay and actual benefits and actual industry would attract the younger and educated professionals for sure as it has done in Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, etc. Most people do not come to Florida looking for the same things though. They are expecting an easier life instead. They are not thinking of advancement. A fallacy.
For some bizarro reason Florida has always shunned industry. The low pay in Florida is just that is what the market will bear. The jobs available are low skilled jobs that are only worth so much. There is no need to pay a maid in a hotel $20.00 an hour it is not that kind of job. As big a Florida is we have so many places they could locate industry and like Disney did they could have the land for like nothing if they just came here.

Some day Florida is going to have wake up and make up it's mind what it going to be when it grows up. Either be a full blown entertainment and resort state with say legalized gambling, late night licensing for bars and so on. Or they can stay a place that wants to roll up the sidewalks at night and starve. It can't be both. I honestly can not see any future for the state unless drastic changes are made. It can't live off tourism with so many restrictions. I don't see industry coming her any time soon. The tourism is already what Florida is known for and they have to exploit to the max.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I laugh when I hear and see people making $7.00/hr saying bad things about unions. I'll assume that most of them have worked at Walmart at one point or another and have been brainwashed to believe the propaganda they spew about unions being bad. They actually show a 20 minute long video about it when you're newly hired.

Unions protect workers rights and work hard to promote higher wages for hard work. Of course, employers don't like unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida