Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
SF Bay area...longggg way from here, better job, better schools, free place to stay until me and my gf get settled in.
Nice.

Hope you don't get hammered by taxes in trying to get CA out of the hole. I'd love to be in SF right about now, Not really to live granted, but a nice extended vacation seems about right. I'd much rather be there then anywhere in Florida at this time.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Nice.

Hope you don't get hammered by taxes in trying to get CA out of the hole. I'd love to be in SF right about now, Not really to live granted, but a nice extended vacation seems about right. I'd much rather be there then anywhere in Florida at this time.
Pretty sure FL is going to go to a state income tax as well as higher taxes soon too, the property tax here is already outrageous.

Yeah I will probably get wages taxed higher but...higher income, for my current field IT... it is mostly a balancing act. FL jobs are notoriously lower wage compared with the rest of the country as well as poor benefits (if any) I already got taxed to death living in Chicago so know what its like. But there are more things to worry about than money and taxes. The area wins in every other aspect IMO.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Pretty sure FL is going to go to a state income tax as well as higher taxes soon too, the property tax here is already outrageous.

Yeah I will probably get wages taxed higher but...higher income, for my current field IT... it is mostly a balancing act. FL jobs are notoriously lower wage compared with the rest of the country as well as poor benefits (if any) I already got taxed to death living in Chicago so know what its like. But there are more things to worry about than money and taxes. The area wins in every other aspect IMO.
Yep, life is about two things these days, Quality and Money. Florida has neither.

It would be interesting to see Florida with a state tax, I think the same thing is coming to Tennessee fairly soon too. I doubt we'll ever see it in Texas though.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Yep, life is about two things these days, Quality and Money. Florida has neither.

It would be interesting to see Florida with a state tax, I think the same thing is coming to Tennessee fairly soon too. I doubt we'll ever see it in Texas though.
I do not think a state income tax would ever work in third world country Florida. As we all know Florida salaries are among the lowest in the country with no benefits. Also many people do labor type services and help the elderly for cash under the table and do not pay taxes. Not to mention all the illegals and recent immigrants working under the table. It is an epidemic in Florida.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,927 times
Quote:
SF Bay area...longggg way from here, better job, better schools, free place to stay until me and my gf get settled in. Both times I left it seems I'm trying to get further and further away, first time was Chicago @ 1000 miles away... now SF @ 2700 miles away

yeah definitely beware the perfect visits to fl... what month did you go? did you do non tourist stuff? did you wear normal clothes? did you drive in traffic, see the jobs, see the schools, conversate with the locals outside your family?

things to ask...

As Admiral Ackbar would say... its a trap!
As bad as CA is right now it is still ions better than Florida. At least there is tons of industry and diversified business there. Florida is just waiting for tourism and construction to come back so the cheap third world laborers can come back to work for next to nothing with no benefits. CA is not like this. There is high paying labor as well as major corporations and industry.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,932 times
CA is not that business friendly for small businesses and entrepeneurs though. I heard the state charges $800 a year for each LLC that you have and maintain. That's nuts.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
As bad as CA is right now it is still ions better than Florida. At least there is tons of industry and diversified business there. Florida is just waiting for tourism and construction to come back so the cheap third world laborers can come back to work for next to nothing with no benefits. CA is not like this. There is high paying labor as well as major corporations and industry.
yeah even if I were to stay and slightly stable now with a low wage no benefit job... there is pretty much no future here, hardly any industry, not many big companies doing operations, not the caliber of school for continuing education, not the infrastructure, yada yada.

I made a post in another thread that I thought FL at 9.6% is actually probably worse than CA at 11%.

In IT jobs, there are only 60K in the entire industry available in FL, and they pay 15-20k lower across the board. Also some of the more specialized stuff... lets say, DBA's...only 5000k positions for the state. In contrast in California there are 412K jobs in that industry there...

I was browsing around and looking at other high paying fields and it was the same way in many of those as well, medicine, IT, life sciences, finance etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:17 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
yeah even if I were to stay and slightly stable now with a low wage no benefit job... there is pretty much no future here, hardly any industry, not many big companies doing operations, not the caliber of school for continuing education, not the infrastructure, yada yada.

I made a post in another thread that I thought FL at 9.6% is actually probably worse than CA at 11%.

In IT jobs, there are only 60K in the entire industry available in FL, and they pay 15-20k lower across the board. Also some of the more specialized stuff... lets say, DBA's...only 5000k positions for the state. In contrast in California there are 412K jobs in that industry there...

I was browsing around and looking at other high paying fields and it was the same way in many of those as well, medicine, IT, life sciences, finance etc.
You do realize CA is one of the most expensive states in the country to live, right? You need twice what they are actually paying in salaries to be able to live halfway decent. My brother in law has been out there for years in SF, basically either homeless or staying in a flophouse. This is with a college degree, too.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I do not think a state income tax would ever work in third world country Florida. As we all know Florida salaries are among the lowest in the country with no benefits. Also many people do labor type services and help the elderly for cash under the table and do not pay taxes. Not to mention all the illegals and recent immigrants working under the table. It is an epidemic in Florida.

I'm beginning to question the people you choose to associate with.......

BTW, you can be a meter maid in PBC and make $13.00/hour. A METER MAID.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:

Ah yes. High pay, high deficits. FORTY NINE BILLION in the hole. An almost TEN PERCENT (9.3%) income tax rate for people making as little as $43000/year. 8.25% BASE state sales tax, with municipalities tacking on more and more on top of that. Real estate costs STILL through the roof. Mass school layoffs, water restrictions, and businesses relocating to states with better tax structures:

California losing businesses, no longer the Golden State | Kevin Colby: News and Political blog

california losing good jobs to other states | HALFWAY TO CONCORD

A salary of $50,000 in Tampa, Florida should increase to $71,725 in Long Beach, California to maintain a similar standard of living.

A salary of $50,000 in Orlando, Florida should increase to $58,876 in Sacramento, California to maintain a similar standard of living.

Yeah, California is DEFINITELY a state that Florida should emulate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida