Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

While property insurance can be very high here- in south Florida I had homeowners, flood and windstorm insurance- we do not have a personal income tax.

Just wanted to point that out, as I have read about the high cost of property insurance, but little mention that Florida has no state income tax. And since the only way we could ever have such a tax is by a vote of the people, it is doubtful that we will.

We also have a law that limits increases to property taxes on homestead property. This means that if you stay in your home for years, your new neighbors' homes will be taxed on the current value, while yours would be much lower. (I think the max is 3% a year- but not sure.)

I began reading this site with an eye to leaving Florida, but after reading the many posts, it has reminded me of how great it is. I've lived in Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee and now Jax. And while the jury is still out on Jax, this forum has made me realize how much Florida has to offer.

I love canoeing by gators sunning on a river bank, eating picadillo in Little Havana and playing tourist at Disney. Tiki bars on the beach, going barefoot in January, bass fishing in a lake, snorkeling in a crystal clear spring or off the coast..... Still working on dealing with Jax rednecks, but, as they say, we see what we are looking for, so I am trying to look for more tolerant people in Jax-and it is working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
[quote=hereinfla;314922]While property insurance can be very high here- in south Florida I had homeowners, flood and windstorm insurance- we do not have a personal income tax.

I love canoeing by gators sunning on a river bank, eating picadillo in Little Havana and playing tourist at Disney. Tiki bars on the beach, going barefoot in January, bass fishing in a lake, snorkeling in a crystal clear spring or off the coast.....

Can't say I love canoeing by the gators...but thank you for reminding us that Florida is a great place to live!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Yes, canoing by the gators would be pretty scary to me. I was just wondering how you liked living in Tallahassee and why you moved from there. It looks like it's a nice place to live.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:26 PM

My husband died two days after selling our home in south FL to move to Tally. We kept a small place in so fla- too small for us to live in full time. So I moved with the kids but could not find a job in my field. I had been self employed, but finding myself the sole breadwinner, needed income stability and health insurance. I was able to get a job with enough income, but it was just a job. After I got my mojo back, I realized that I needed a job that was my passion. I moved to Jax to be near family almost three years ago and have ajob that I love, but making 1990 wages. However, I have mastered the art of living below my means, but can do pretty much what I want lifestyle-wise.

Canoeing by gators isn't all that scary- and I am by no means a thrill-seeker! I've only seen one that was more than 6 feet long and that kinda freaked me out....but they are usually 3-4 feet long at best. My son took wake board lessons with small ones along the bank here in Jax, but they don't like the sound of the boats, so stay away. But, I know, a couple folks did get killed by them the past year- but that is so rare. Like shark attacks. Very rare. More people die due to cold weather.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 PM

Canoeing by gators isn't all that scary- and I am by no means a thrill-seeker! I've only seen one that was more than 6 feet long and that kinda freaked me out....but they are usually 3-4 feet long at best.

I have a funny story about that...my sister and I were canoeing at Blue Springs and she panicked when she spotted a gator sunning himself by the creekbank...she forgot how to paddle...got the canoe going round and round in a circle...splashing water.... and if all that wasn't bad enough...she conked the gator on the head with the paddle!!! I thought she was going to get us EATEN! But that gator was too lazy and sleepy...he just ignored us...THANK GOD!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
The gators aren't something to worry about. It's the property tax assessors who are the real sharks in Florida!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=tallrick;315100]The gators aren't something to worry about. It's the property tax assessors who are the real sharks in Florida![/quote]

Totally agree....them and our greedy city government!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:40 PM

pianogal-

I would have been terrified if that happened to me. But they do say to hit gators on the nose to make them go away, so she probably inadvertantly did the right thing! Ditto with sharks, although I could never figure out how one would "hit" a shark on the nose while in the water. You would think it would slow down the strike to a tap.

BTW, all- property appraisers & tax collectors don't set property taxes rates.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM

155 posts, read 285,079 times
Default That doesn't make any sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
While property insurance can be very high here- in south Florida I had homeowners, flood and windstorm insurance- we do not have a personal income tax.

Just wanted to point that out, as I have read about the high cost of property insurance, but little mention that Florida has no state income tax. And since the only way we could ever have such a tax is by a vote of the people, it is doubtful that we will.

We also have a law that limits increases to property taxes on homestead property. This means that if you stay in your home for years, your new neighbors' homes will be taxed on the current value, while yours would be much lower. (I think the max is 3% a year- but not sure.)

I began reading this site with an eye to leaving Florida, but after reading the many posts, it has reminded me of how great it is. I've lived in Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee and now Jax. And while the jury is still out on Jax, this forum has made me realize how much Florida has to offer.

I love canoeing by gators sunning on a river bank, eating picadillo in Little Havana and playing tourist at Disney. Tiki bars on the beach, going barefoot in January, bass fishing in a lake, snorkeling in a crystal clear spring or off the coast..... Still working on dealing with Jax rednecks, but, as they say, we see what we are looking for, so I am trying to look for more tolerant people in Jax-and it is working.

Have you heard of "Overall Tax Burden"? That is the total amount or percentage of tax you pay after paying ALL your taxes.

If you look at the map, you will notice that although FL doesn't have a state income tax, unless you make an absolute fortune (over $500k per year), the state income taxes are not as bad as Florida's skyrocketing propety taxes.

Insurance is just a form of "backdoor tax" that we have in FL. It is not for the government, but you pay so much it FEELS like a tax.

In fact, see it for yourself. I have made my calculations and even after paying the state income tax (4.65%), I still come up with more $$ for me in the end of teh year in CO. Oh FYI, you don't get taxed twice when you pay a state and federal income taxes. You deduct the payment of the state income tax on the federal.

While the STATE taxes in FL may be lower (unless you own a house), you end up paying almost the same amount when yuo factor in the federal taxes (you don't get the deductions on your state incoem tax payment).

I am no accountant, but see for yourself.

moneycentral.msn.com/content/Common/Flash/P111507.asp

Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 PM

232 posts, read 886,893 times
thank you hereinfl it is finally nice to hear something about the state. How refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida