Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 40,527 times

Advertisements

I am considering a manufactured home in Volusia county Florida. I hear that its impossible to get homeowners insurance.Help with Info please!

Last edited by waynet; 01-31-2007 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: incomplete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 PM

7 posts, read 155,269 times
Jamie, it's not impossible to get home owners insurance on a mobile, since the hurricanes in 2004, alot of insurance comapanies have pulled out of florida, those that haven't have put very strict regulations into affect for mobile homes they will insure. Generally a mobile home that is newer is a lot easier to insure than one that is 10-15 years old. Anything older than I believe 1990, you probably won't be able to get insurance on. One of the biggest issues of the mobile homes is the strapping of the unit, and the average older mobile home will not meet code. The other factors being what standards the mobile home was built for. Many of the newer mobile homes are built now to withstand as much if not more as a regular home. Hope this helps. Also you might want to consider if you will not be making this a permanent home, just seasonal, and you own a home in another state, you probably won't be eligible for the homestead tax exemption. So, you might want to make sure where ever you look that you own the land the home is on. Lot rent can be a wee steep on top of your taxes and everything else. Good LUCK!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 PM

86 posts, read 221,987 times
I have a manufactured home that we use as a vacation home and also for rentals. After the 2004 hurricanes, the original insurer dropped my policy. But, I was able to hook up with a more reputable company and actually paid less. I have not had any problems since that time and beleive it or not my costs have stayed relatively flat. I should note that I have a newer home.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 39,785 times
Default Mobile Home Insurance

Please share the name of the insurance company you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1 View Post
I have a manufactured home that we use as a vacation home and also for rentals. After the 2004 hurricanes, the original insurer dropped my policy. But, I was able to hook up with a more reputable company and actually paid less. I have not had any problems since that time and beleive it or not my costs have stayed relatively flat. I should note that I have a newer home.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 37,767 times
we are considering a mobile home purchase in the brandon florida area,we have not seen any yet and wonder if buying a home built in 2000,what would be the average insurance rate i can expect.i am 70 yrs old

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

66 posts, read 321,021 times
I was told by my insurance agent when I lived in Florida that the only one who would carry us would be Citizens.
The place I lived at was considered a 1980 something manufactured home to the insurance people.(It was actually a manufactured home base with a bunch of add ons from the original owner..but the insurance company doesn't consider all the add ons..it just went with the original base that had the sticker).
The cost was $794 a year in brevard county.
Call an insurance agent that specializes in multiple insurance carriers. They will probably tell you Citizens like mine did.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

65 posts, read 371,114 times
If you are purchasing a MH in a county that has a coastline, it is very difficult to get anything but Citizens. If your MH is in an interior land locked county you may be able to get insurance if you are a member of AARP w/ Foremost. That was our experience after 2004.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I have Foremost thru AARP,not happy with $140 increase for no apparent reason.They said they would not insure on coast and had to be so many miles from ocean and I beleive excluded south and central Florida,had to be Wind Zone 2 also.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 36,402 times
Default Forget it!

We own a large, 1650 sf, 1992 mobile home made by a top company that is in lovely condition. It even meets all the "new" standards. After '04 we went with Foremost and that's a trip you don't even want to start. In a land-locked county our premium began in the summer of '05 at $702 annually. To renew for the '09 year they wanted $1044! YEP - at the end of 4 years of coverage they now want 149% of the beginning premium. Our daughter who lives in a $500,000 home only pays about $2,000 annually! Additionally, Foremost has an "escalator policy" that increases the coverages limits annually - for "inflation" - on a depreciating structure. Mobile home owners in Florida just better be prepared to self-insure.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:35 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiepumpkin View Post
We own a large, 1650 sf, 1992 mobile home made by a top company that is in lovely condition. It even meets all the "new" standards. After '04 we went with Foremost and that's a trip you don't even want to start. In a land-locked county our premium began in the summer of '05 at $702 annually. To renew for the '09 year they wanted $1044! YEP - at the end of 4 years of coverage they now want 149% of the beginning premium. Our daughter who lives in a $500,000 home only pays about $2,000 annually! Additionally, Foremost has an "escalator policy" that increases the coverages limits annually - for "inflation" - on a depreciating structure. Mobile home owners in Florida just better be prepared to self-insure.
I don't think in most cases they are worth insuring. If you figure your premium against the actual value of the trailer it is just too much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida