Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 08:41 AM

17 posts, read 31,271 times

Advertisements

What kind of requirements do you run into?

Are you able to get more than liability?

I've been trying to research it but haven't been able to find out a ton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 12:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
This info is from 2018 but it may still give you a starting point for mobile home insurance in FL:

https://www.myfloridamobilehomeinsur...nce-companies/

There are restrictions regarding age of the mobile home, how it is tied down to the ground (hurricane strapping), even whether the mobile home was manufactured for the state of FL vs another state can impact whether it can be insured.

Good luck with your search and please report back if you find an acceptable company/ policy.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
This info is from 2018 but it may still give you a starting point for mobile home insurance in FL:

https://www.myfloridamobilehomeinsur...nce-companies/

There are restrictions regarding age of the mobile home, how it is tied down to the ground (hurricane strapping), even whether the mobile home was manufactured for the state of FL vs another state can impact whether it can be insured.

Good luck with your search and please report back if you find an acceptable company/ policy.
Distance from the beech also. Family member bought last year and the insurance was not an issue. Older trailer.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:14 PM

381 posts, read 278,864 times
we lived in manufactured home in the mid '90,s had insurance it was not a problem

Old 04-06-2022, 07:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Couple things, there's a legal distinction between mobile home and manufactured home, even though they're basically the same thing. The term "manufactured home" was applied to the structures that are typically in neighborhoods known as "trailer parks" in 1976. Prior to that they were called mobile homes.

So if you have an ACTUAL mobile home, it's not likely you'll find anyone to insure it at all. It's a liability, not an asset. If it's a manufactured home, its value will depend on several things, including its age. The older it is, the less valuable. The less valuable, the less likely you'll find a company willing to insure it.

Insurance is hard to find because it's not a permanent structure attached to a foundation, but it's also not technically a motor vehicle since it lacks a motor - and wheels. Most insurance companies won't touch them. The ones that do charge an arm and a leg and the return isn't even the value of the structure itself.

We pay around $2000 a year for a "double wide" manufactured home that came in several pieces and connected into the ground with tie-downs back in 1985, and our "total loss" value is under $35,000.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Couple things, there's a legal distinction between mobile home and manufactured home, even though they're basically the same thing. The term "manufactured home" was applied to the structures that are typically in neighborhoods known as "trailer parks" in 1976. Prior to that they were called mobile homes.

So if you have an ACTUAL mobile home, it's not likely you'll find anyone to insure it at all. It's a liability, not an asset. If it's a manufactured home, its value will depend on several things, including its age. The older it is, the less valuable. The less valuable, the less likely you'll find a company willing to insure it.

Insurance is hard to find because it's not a permanent structure attached to a foundation, but it's also not technically a motor vehicle since it lacks a motor - and wheels. Most insurance companies won't touch them. The ones that do charge an arm and a leg and the return isn't even the value of the structure itself.

We pay around $2000 a year for a "double wide" manufactured home that came in several pieces and connected into the ground with tie-downs back in 1985, and our "total loss" value is under $35,000.
so if it gets wiped out you'll only get 35k? is insurance even worth it. I checked factory expo and they are going for 100k for the newest and smallest. Probably built to slightly better standards today

I was looking at one similar to what you described, DW built in 1985 on half an acre in central florida

Old 04-07-2022, 01:28 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:

My Brother in laws was in total just over $1,000.00 a year and had about the same value as yours, and included $100,000.00 in liability insurance.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:04 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrairc View Post
so if it gets wiped out you'll only get 35k? is insurance even worth it. I checked factory expo and they are going for 100k for the newest and smallest. Probably built to slightly better standards today

I was looking at one similar to what you described, DW built in 1985 on half an acre in central florida
Yes we have liability on it too, we also have a few other things in the policy because we own the property, we don't lease it.

It's worth it if you think you're in an area where you could suffer catastrophic damage to your home, yes. I can shell out $1847 a year, or I can shell out $35,000 just once, plus whatever ELSE I need to shell out for an actual replacement (since they don't make this model anymore).

The resale value on our home is almost $200,000. We would have to pay around that much, if we were to buy a similarly built home in the same neighborhood.

If it was truly a total loss of the structure, it'd cost us a lot less to put a new one in than the $200,000 sales price to buy in the area.

But that's what insurance on these structures costs around here, and there are only one or two insurance companies that will touch them at all. So we either pay what they charge, or we do without.

Old 04-08-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yes we have liability on it too, we also have a few other things in the policy because we own the property, we don't lease it.

It's worth it if you think you're in an area where you could suffer catastrophic damage to your home, yes. I can shell out $1847 a year, or I can shell out $35,000 just once, plus whatever ELSE I need to shell out for an actual replacement (since they don't make this model anymore).

The resale value on our home is almost $200,000. We would have to pay around that much, if we were to buy a similarly built home in the same neighborhood.

If it was truly a total loss of the structure, it'd cost us a lot less to put a new one in than the $200,000 sales price to buy in the area.

But that's what insurance on these structures costs around here, and there are only one or two insurance companies that will touch them at all. So we either pay what they charge, or we do without.
ah and how is the house itself?

I've look at a few and came up with tons of repairs in inspections. But I'm guessing it comes down to the owner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida