Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsis1 View Post
Have you ever been in a hurricane?
No, but ive been outside at a distance of about 200' of a Tornado instantly touching down as i was making my way to the house. I hear of people riding out a Category 1 and 2 Hurricane as if it were entertainment ; I suppose they are in a brick structure though. Have you ever been in a Tornado that totally uprooted huge Oak trees having 4' diameter trunks then layed them down on their sides ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom28 View Post
Seriously? Underground? You could not have meant underground. That sounds like the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Lets all drown in the raging flood water.....yippie.

Build a concrete building in your backyard
I should have prefaced it by saying
'partially underground with access above ground' . And, I did say 'waterproof' . Please dont be condescending , for, that is a violation of CityData Forum rules . Im not from Florida and have never lived in Florida ; thats why I made this Post --- to gain information .

Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
Mandatory evacuations are becoming the norm for even "moderate" hurricanes, so even if you bought some sort of hurricane shelter, you'd probably be advised to leave it.
I would think most people building a shelter would probably own their home. A state, county, or city can call for a mandatory evacuation but they can't force you from your own land. New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin told the people of New Orleans that he couldn't force them to leave their own land but that they would be on their own, without city/parish protection or recovery.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I would think most people building a shelter would probably own their home. A state, county, or city can call for a mandatory evacuation but they can't force you from your own land. New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin told the people of New Orleans that he couldn't force them to leave their own land but that they would be on their own, without city/parish protection or recovery.
Yes, i would think they have thier own home too. Id want to stay in a Safe rugged Shelter on the property to be able to protect the house, avoid the hassle of evacuation, and to avoid the hassle of returning to the area once the green light is given. When i get down to the Panhandle to live, im going to look into whats available very seriously .

Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,729 times
I have been through 3 catagory 1's, 2 cat 3's, and a multitude of tropical storms. Cat 3's can be pretty scary. 1 and 2's are nothing to play around in. I did not enjoy them, Fran and Jeanne in 2004 in Vero Beach. It destroyed that entire city. My mother went through Charley a few weeks before, a cat 4. Scared the crap out of her. Brick houses, and homes built post 1992(Andrew) have strict building codes. I think you should keep that in mind.

I know when I had to go outside during a cat 1 in 1999(Irene) when I was in Melbourne, FL. the winds were 80MPH and I could barely walk, not to mention the rain HURTS when it hits your face... It made a mess of the city too, tore roofs off, fences down, etc.

Make sure the house is inspected very well...

Old 09-04-2008, 03:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default I think I would rather have a blizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I have been through 3 catagory 1's, 2 cat 3's, and a multitude of tropical storms. Cat 3's can be pretty scary. 1 and 2's are nothing to play around in. I did not enjoy them, Fran and Jeanne in 2004 in Vero Beach. It destroyed that entire city. My mother went through Charley a few weeks before, a cat 4. Scared the crap out of her. Brick houses, and homes built post 1992(Andrew) have strict building codes. I think you should keep that in mind.

I know when I had to go outside during a cat 1 in 1999(Irene) when I was in Melbourne, FL. the winds were 80MPH and I could barely walk, not to mention the rain HURTS when it hits your face... It made a mess of the city too, tore roofs off, fences down, etc.

Make sure the house is inspected very well...
Snow eventually melts. I've lived through many and have never had any damage in over 40 years of owning homes. I have also never even lost power in any of the blizzards we have ever had. Ice storms are a different story. Much worse.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
My mother went through Charley a few weeks before, a cat 4. Scared the crap out of her.
2004 was my last year of living in Florida but it really had nothing to do Hurricanes, Although the place I lived did get damage, We were already packed up and ready to move.

We were living in the Ft. Myers area when Charley hit. We had evacuated to some relatives house in Orlando and hell if it didn't hit Orlando too. It didn't do a ton of damage to Orlando but we were without power for like 4 days. We actually stood out in the front yard for that one. It was actually pretty fun.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,496 times
Why go underground ... this is not 1959...

Rocio Romero, modern design and prefab architecture (http://www.rocioromero.com/LVSeries/LV150.htm - broken link)

Do it in style ... do it for under 40K ... do it pre-fab and enjoy the look of things...

The LV150 is our LV series home that can withstand 150 mph winds and complies with the most stringent hurricane code. The LV150 is an 1150 sq. ft home that is 25'-1” x 49'-1” and has a living room, dining room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and closets. It can also be reconfigured to have one master suite and master bathroom. The LV150 home starts at $38,760.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM

310 posts, read 868,759 times
FL doesn't have basements for a reason.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDeDo View Post
Im going to be inland quite aways and just want protection from Hurricane winds and possible Tornadoes . What about a water proof shelter above ground that is well anchored ?

Gas to get your butt away from the hurricane zone would be a considerably cheaper alternative.

Especially when you factor in the radon poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida