Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
She was not born here, so she apparently she has her memories of someplace else. My husband's boss came to Florida as a teenager in 1982. He still calls himself a New Yorker. He is from upstate around the Catskill area and always talks about his beautiful mountains. He is the only one of his siblings who has not moved back. He stayed because of his Dad. The man has said when his Dad passes, he will go back. His wife is from Philly and also came here as a teenager. She constantly says she hates it. ALL her family, including her parents, left many years ago.

I work with an 8 year boy from Michigan who came here 3 years ago. He constantly says how much he misses Michigan and playing in the fall leaves and sledding in the snow. He doesn't go to the beach. "I don't like the beach", he always says.

Are all these people "ungrateful Floridians"? They are all from someplace else and miss where they are from.

I am not a Floridian and never will be, no matter how long I have to stay here. I am a temporary resident, that's it.
I have noticed exactly what you said when talking with many transplants at work and in everyday life. Unless they are retired, I find that most transplants that I speak to truly hate Florida and never have anything good to say. This is the opposite of what I found when I went to visit my sister in California, almost all the transplants I spoke to love California and are glad they made the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 07:02 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Not every place is perfect for everyone . . . she feels sorry for Floridians that we don't experience the wonderful thing called "Seasons" and we can't do any fun winter sports.
Well, and there's nowhere one can live where you can find every possible activity. It's impossible, because you can't have one place with mountains and plains and the ocean and a desert and a rainforest and a swamp and a big city and wilderness, etc. You're going to have to travel to some activities, some environments. Wherever one lives, there's going to be things you can do that other folks can't regularly, and things you can't do that other folks can regularly.
Quote:
There are plenty of places in this beautiful country that have great weather depending on what one likes.
What I'm still trying to find is the place where it's in the mid-50s to low-70s year round.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
What I'm still trying to find is the place where it's in the mid-50s to low-70s year round.
Southern California

Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Southern California
What part of Southern California? Everywhere I'm familiar with gets both hotter and colder than that at various times throughout the year. The forecast for LA this week, for example, is highs of 76, 81, 85, 86, 86. Lots of SoCal is desert, too, so it gets MUCH hotter at some times of the year.

San Diego's forecast for this week is within the upper bounds of the temperatures I mentioned (well, except for 76, but that's close enough . . . maybe), but four months out of the year they have average lows lower than the range I mentioned, and for two months, average highs slightly higher.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post

Have you looked at San Fran, San Diego, Portland or Seattle Metro areas. They all seem to have your temperature requirement. I know as we have been doing research looking for a place that stays under 80F most of the year too. And these are it.

You could also look at Atlanta they have 3-4 months of hot weather during the summer, but the rest of the year they have beautiful temps.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Have you looked at San Fran, San Diego, Portland or Seattle Metro areas. They all seem to have your temperature requirement. I know as we have been doing research looking for a place that stays under 80F most of the year too. And these are it.

You could also look at Atlanta they have 3-4 months of hot weather during the summer, but the rest of the year they have beautiful temps.
Actually, when I lived in Atlanta, it was 2 months of VERY hot weather (more uncomfortable than summer in Miami) and 2-3 months of grey, drizzly and very cool (low 40's) weather in the winter.

San Diego (another place I lived) comes closest to what they want, but it DOES get very grey, slightly cool (highs mid 60s) and overcast (with NO rain) for months on end and winter tends to be kind of grey, cool (highs mid 50s) and drizzly too.
SD is distinctly warmer than SF, Portland or Seattle.

Tungsten_Udder, I think that 's as good as you're going to get in the US for your requirments.

Last edited by planetsurf; 09-22-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Atlanta has great weather if you have a HEPA filter in your lungs.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Well, the idea is more that I don't think there is any place that would be "perfect" for most folks (well, and to point out that there is weather you could want that you just can't find in the US). Portland frequently gets colder than I'd like ideally, as well as occasionally hotter. The same is true of the other locations, with San Diego erring more often on the "hotter" side than the others. If I were able to play God with some location, temperature-wise, I don't think I'd ever have it go below 50 or above 75--and I wouldn't want either extreme of that very often. Most days would be between 54 and 72, say. Cool--never too warm or hot, and never cold.

But there's more to look at in a place than temperatures. And it's not that I dislike Portland, Seattle, San Francisco or San Diego, but I also don't dislike Florida at all. I don't really dislike anywhere. What I think I'd dislike more is not being able to live in different places at different points of my life, and especially I'd dislike if I couldn't travel much . . . at least sans someplace being "perfect", aka just how I'd make it if I could play God with it.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Atlanta has great weather if you have a HEPA filter in your lungs.
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what does this mean?

Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what does this mean?
CTR is talking about the air quality of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida