Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 AM

31 posts, read 76,073 times

Advertisements

I know it seems redundant and I apologize for that, but we are really trying to make a good decision for our family.

We want to relocate to Florida, but read on here that public schools aren't good? That's really our number 1 concern -safety and good schools...

We read in a recent report that Melbourne has an excellent Junior/Senior high school? We read great things about Lake Mary and Sarasota? We know little about the state and find it scary to just read about it. We visited Tampa area and feel like it's impossible to visit everywhere in Florida. Our work is flexible and we could go anywhere -we just really want some school advice if possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
It is kind of hard to suggest an area when you haven't narrowed down at least a section of FL you are considering. Once you narrow down an area then you can look for 'good' schools.

Do you want easy access to the beach?
Do you like the Gulf or the Atlantic
Small or big city?
Entertainment?
Sports?
Hobbies?

I personally like the west coast of FL around Tampa. I like Tampa as it is a younger city and there are lots of good areas for families. I also like the panhandle although I have never lived there. Weather is different up there but you are still close to the beach.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Florida actually has some of the top schools in the nation... It really depends where you are... Perhaps they are bad overall b/c of the particular city but there are definitely some good high schools out there... Just have to do your research... i.e. my high school I was taking AP classes from 10th grade onward.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM

255 posts, read 757,143 times
I have lived here in Florida for 12 years and loved living here until my kids started middle school. I'm not sure how the schools can be rated some of the best but then again, I have been in the same area for the whole time. It is my experience that the best schools are the private in the area in which I live but we do have many charter/magnet schools that are excellent. Florida is a wonderful place to live if you are ready for all the changes you have to aclimate to. Coming from up north for a visit is not a good way to get the day to day life feel for the area, so I would suggest taking time to see the area you are interested in during different times of the year. Also while you are visiting, go around the area via car and look for yourself. Check out the shopping first hand like you would if you live here, not just the tourist shops. Also check out the activities for everyday people in the area, not just the hotspots for vacationers...Florida has a lot to offer if you know what you are looking for and are ready to try a different way of life. What type of lifestyle are you looking for? What are you and your family into for activities? Do you still want some type of season change or are you looking forward to the heat for the majority of the year? Ask away and I'm sure you will get answers to help you make the decision...best of luck on the decision!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Florida's good public schools tend to cluster in areas where parents have high income and parental academic achievement, which is pretty consistent with general education statistics research. So it's no surprise to see top-rated schools in parts of Melbourne (NASA), Gainesville (U of Florida), Tallahassee (FSU, A&M, white collar state bureaucracy) and Ft. Walton Beach (big Air Force weapons development center)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida