Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times

Advertisements

Daytona Beach and Tallahassee both have large American-black communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeBoiii View Post
Can anybody tell me? I been looking for a place I'd like to stay out here that has black folks, but every place I know that does is either Haitian, Jamaican, or Bahamian community. I don't speak any creole or French or whatever Bahamian speak. And I'm not racist so don't get it twisted. Just wanna be around people that speak my language, and where the culture isn't so different.
Maybe Eatonville, in Orange County, near Orlando would be your cup of tea. BTW, what's with your screen name? Maybe Eatonville is not your cup...

//www.city-data.com/city/Eatonville-Florida.html

Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
lmao Bahamians speak English! so do Jamaicans however I know many Carribean blacks who don't like American blacks. You should hear some of the things they say privately. What culture is your culture exactly?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 99,519 times
I'm not being ignorant, moron. I know that Jamaicans and Bahamians speak english, but the culture is still different. And I'm traditionally African American.

By the way, is there any non-carribeans African American communities in Dade county?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:44 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
I'm not being ignorant, moron. I know that Jamaicans and Bahamians speak english, but the culture is still different. And I'm traditionally African American.

By the way, is there any non-carribeans African American communities in Dade county?
Overtown

Overtown, Miami, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2009, 09:39 PM

326 posts, read 1,169,667 times
Quote:
Can anybody tell me? I been looking for a place I'd like to stay out here that has black folks, but every place I know that does is either Haitian, Jamaican, or Bahamian community. I don't speak any creole or French or whatever Bahamian speak.
?? Sure about that?

Quote:

From your last qoute to this one you figured it out? Your African American? Blacks from the Caribbean are more African than you'll ever be. You should move into their neighborhoods and learn a thing or two.

I guarantee you will not go into any neighborhhod in Miami wiithout finding Haitians. Their probally second next to Cubans in majority minority in Miami. In Miami their technically the majority. Miami isn't the place for you if you can't deal with Caribbean people.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Dopeboiii 11 posts and you're already using insults? I didn't insult you but perhaps you should re read your original post because that is not what you indicated and you made it seem like you didn't know.Anyways back to the original question I would say Liberty City & possibly Opa Locka, Perrine and Goulds in south dade.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:

Most of the black population in deep south Miami-Dade (below SW 152nd Street) is African-American. There are plenty of American blacks in Goulds, western Perrine, Homestead, Florida City, and western Cutler Bay. Parts of the City of Miami are majority African-American as well, as are a few areas north of Miami.. Opa Locka comes to mind. There is also a small African-American neighborhood in South Miami that is SW of the University of Miami, and another African-American/Bahamian neighborhood on the other side of US1 in western Coconut Grove. Furthermore, Richmond Heights deserves an honorable mention because it is a very diverse black area with African-Americans and blacks from the islands represented.

Some areas that have a large black population that is NOT primarily African-American are North Miami (Haitian), Little Haiti (Haitian), Carol City (Jamaican, Dominican), and Miami Gardens (Jamaican, Dominican).

I might be able to suggest an area to you if you let me know how much you can spend on rent, where you will be working, and the kind of neighborhood you want.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
And I'm not racist so don't get it twisted.
What if I came on here (after declaring my whiteness) and said that I was looking for a white community that did not contain, specifically, "X, Y, and Z ethnicities", and that I only wanted to be around Americans of English, Scottish, or Norwegian descent? God forbid! I would immediately be branded a "racist", a "bigot" or at the very least "culturally inthenthitive". The hypocrisy on here is mind boggling sometimes.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
I see nothing wrong with people wanting to live among people of a certain race/ethnicity/culture/religion/income group. Many, and probably even most, people who want to live around people who they perceive to be "like them" are not racist or prejudiced, per se.

When people on this forum ask for neighborhoods, I usually directly them to what I think will be nicest and most convenient to their work, but if they specify that they want a Jewish/Anglo/black/Hispanic area, I have no problem at all in working that into my criteria that I consider when giving my recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida