Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times

Advertisements

Having grown up and spending all my life in the south (including Fla.) I would say.....Bring On the Snow!! I love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:59 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Snow!! Love it. Always have. Can't wait to move back north & be in 4 seasons.

Christmas isn't Christmas to us in 80 degree weather.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
This year we will be spending our first Christmas in Florida....it will be different...no snow, etc.

We'll see........

Frank D.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Every time I shovel snow or scrape my windshield I tell myself that this too shall pass. I am anxiously awaiting the day when we can move to Florida and have sunshine for the majority of the year and be warm. I literally wear long underwear under my clothes seven months of year just to stay warm and I work inside! Snow has lost its appeal.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Snow for a day or so...then SUN...SUN....SUN!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
I have so many fond memories of snow (as well as the other seasons), growing up as a child in the northeast (Westchester County New York, Southern Connecticut)...

...The holidays, snow days, sledding, frozen lakes and ponds, playing in leaf piles, etc... And perhaps most of all (and what I miss now), the dramatic change of seasons. Being able to experience the good the bad and the ugly of ALL 4 seasons and knowing that with each one an end was near and change was coming. I truly appreciated each season as they started and ended.

Now that I have children of my own, I hope to move back up there so they can have as much fun as I did growing up. I want them to experience that diversity. Of course as an adult the snow has its drawbacks, but they pale in comparison when I think of what my kids could possibly not even realize what they are missing out on.

I really miss going to Rockefeller Center during Christmas time to see the tree and spend the day\evening in Manhattan. There is such a great vibe downtown during the holidays that is almost indescribable.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
There are so many threads here with opinions on how good/bad Florida and the snow belt is, just for fun I thought I'd post a picture of both. It kind of puts in perspective the differences.......

House we designed and built and will be selling in a few years.....

Things I'll miss about it.....the acres of lawn to mow, (I like mowing), the fireplace, the deck and pool, the big kitchen and 17' ceilings, the central vac and huge garage, THE BASEMENT!!!!!, the two big walk in attics, etc,etc.......
Things I won't miss......the higher taxes, the snow, the cold, did I mention the snow??

New house.........

I think we will like living there, I love the neighbors, the activities, etc....I hope I can get used to NO BASEMENT, and a smaller garage, not going out into the woods to cut my christmas tree, ........I'll miss a Christmas snow,(a little).......all in all it will be a big adjustment, but one that I think we will like.......it may be hard going to a house less than half of what you are used to......no steps anywhere....it IS a whole different life...it gives one much to think about......

I do think it is cool driving in Florida seeing all those little reflectors on the road....it's almost like driving on an airport runway....

Questions......Do Florida people who own hot tubs just keep them unheated in the summer? How many times a year do orange trees get picked?, Just one?

One thing I did notice about the new house that I don't like.....when you turn on the hot water, it seems to take a LONG time to get hot...I'm guessing that the pipes from the hot water tank in the garage go under the slab, cool down, then come up to your sink....so you have to run a LOT of water to get the hot water to you. Is this common?? If so, I think I'll install individual instant hot water makers, (tankless) for the kitchen, etc.....it seems like SUCH a waste of water.....are ALL florida houses like this?? you would think they would have insulated the pipes when building.....

Sorry for the rambling.....the real truth is that I miss the new house down there, and I hate the cold up here......this forum is like real therapy for me, it helps just being in contact with all of you, and in a strange way, when I am on here discussing Florida, I do not miss it as much.

thank you all.....

Frank D.

Hi Frank

I do not know how I missed these pictures. Both of these homes are beautiful.

We thought of all those things when we move too....
No basement sounds odd to me because we have a quad level right now and use all floors, but will trade in a heart beat for some year around sunshine and the ocean.

Sun over snow anyday. Look at Franks driveway and its an easy choice.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Snow for a day or so...then SUN...SUN....SUN!
I so agree....

Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 AM

561 posts, read 1,923,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Look at Franks driveway and its an easy choice.
Your right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida