Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
For all that I think palms work well in many landscaping situations, a native mature live oak massively pwns any palm tree I can think of.

Live oaks with Spanish moss dripping off of them beats any palm tree in my book. I prefer shade over the ugly messy palms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM

392 posts, read 1,553,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naraj View Post
Palm trees are prettier than pine trees, so I say the more, the better. If Florida only had it's natural vegetation, it wouldn't be nearly as beautiful.
I've seen what can be done with native Florida vegetation, and I can't say I agree that it needs imported vegetation to make it beautiful.

What I saw was a condo development next to a salt water marsh in St Augustine. The developer made a point of using only native species. They even went through the trouble of removing any non-native species they found on the property. The result was very beautiful. The texture and color of the landscaping gave a unique effect, with lots of dark green and heavy texture. It was very "Florida".

Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
I live on a golf course, but don't play golf. What I have noticed that although there certainly are palm trees around, they are not planted close to the greens. They planted native trees, with leaves, near the greens.

I guess the reason for that is probably when the little leaves fall down, it is no big deal. When those palms dry up and fall, they would need a cart to come take them away. Imagine a golfer having to pick them up and move them to take a shot?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,249 times
We recently purchased a condo on Panama City Beach, I think it would be much more beautiful if palm trees were planted on the beach. Everytime I sit out on the beach I feel like it's missing something, the palm trees. I grew up in Hawaii and the palm trees made the beaches so beautiful.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Palm trees for the win!!!!!!
I love 'em.
Dont get me wrong, the native plants are OK, but palm trees baby. YES

Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,898,286 times
I prefer the native pine trees.Palm trees get old fast.Look at Miami,there's basically little to no native pine trees left,developers here totally remove every native tree onsite then build the house and plop down a little bare tree about 5 feet tall that might give some shade in 40 years so the homeowners put in palm trees which although I don't dislike them they just don't create the same shade or woody atmosphere you see in other areas where they do what they can to maintain the trees.Palm trees are like a novelty to people from northern states because they just don't have them.There are areas like in Central to Northern Florida where I've seen native pines being left alongside planted palm trees and it works in my opinion,it's too late for areas in South Florida that have been robbed of their trees so I have no problem with a city regulating palm trees and maintaining natives.

Last edited by doom1001; 10-06-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Palm trees are seriously overrated. There are much better looking trees out there than those, especially the coconut and canary palms. Had enough of seeing coconut palms in my childhood by the hundred, but nothing beats the royal poinciana with its fiery red flowers mixed with green leaves

Old 10-07-2012, 02:53 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
In general, I prefer the native pine trees, but we also have some native palms in Florida, like the scrub palmetto and the cabbage palm.

Of course, I admit that I love the grand palms on McGregor Boulevard in Fort Myers (also called the "City of Palms") near the Edison Home. Thomas Edison imported over 200 trees in the late 1800s and there are now about 1,800 Royal Palms that line both sides of the road.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.45261...46868&pid=15.1

Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,962 times
Live oaks can grow to be very straggly and ugly. Love palms!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 PM

156 posts, read 434,179 times
The Florida Royal Palm, Roystonea elata is native to Florida. While most of the Royal palms you see in Florida are actually the Cuban Roystonea regia, it is erroneous to say that Sabal palms are the only native palm to the state.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida