Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I guess it depends where in Coconut Grove you live. There is a hotel/condo building in the Northeast grove with a Walkability score of 91/100. 2951 South Bayshore Drive, Miami FL - Walk Score
So, either things have really changed a lot since you've lived there or the Walkability website is complete B.S. The Mutiny Hotel/ condo building at 2951 S Bayshore Dr (built 1998) has a few 1/1 condos for sale for ~ 185,000. Of course, these are not 1800 sq ft condos and there's a hefty HOA fee but it includes pool, gym, hotel concierge, valet parking, restaurant/bar in lobby, and a bay view. 2951 South Bayshore Drive #915, Miami FL - Trulia

In terms of grocery shopping, the Walkability site lists at least 11 that are 1 mile or less from The Mutiny. Once you expand to 1.5 miles, there are 24 listed, including the 27th Avenue Publix. (Of course this includes bodegas and corner stores, but still). As far as restaurants, there are at least fifty (5-0) that are 1 mile or less, including a Johnny Rockets (0.1miles) and a Cheesecake Factory (0.2 miles).

Online, this area certainly seems walkable...What do you think?
I think the online stuff is total BS. For example - does "walkable" include roads with a fair amount of traffic without any sidewalks (not many sidewalks in the Grove)?

And you're talking more like $225k for 740 sf at the Mutiny these days:

2951 S. Bayshore Dr. # 304, Coconut Grove, FL 33133 | ID: A1901251 | HomeFinder.com

Anyway - I lived there for over a decade. You have probably never set foot there. If you're interested - put your boots on the ground and visit. And decide for yourself. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 PM

499 posts, read 586,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think the online stuff is total BS. For example - does "walkable" include roads with a fair amount of traffic without any sidewalks (not many sidewalks in the Grove)?

And you're talking more like $225k for 740 sf at the Mutiny these days:

2951 S. Bayshore Dr. # 304, Coconut Grove, FL 33133 | ID: A1901251 | HomeFinder.com

Anyway - I lived there for over a decade. You have probably never set foot there. If you're interested - put your boots on the ground and visit. And decide for yourself. Robyn

I was afraid that the online stuff was BS (((sigh))). Good point re: what sidewalk/road conditions are considered "walkable." And no - I have never stepped foot there. It's not the area for us - I need to be just a tad higher up (sea-level wise, after living thru Sandy). I just happened to read your posts about the area and wanted to compare online info to a real person (well, as much of a real person as you can get on an online anonymous forum, lol). I am trying to research as much as possible online but it is so hard. We are relocating to Wellington area from CT in the next 6-9 months. I wish I could get down there more in person but I have a baby and the traveling is really hard on her (and us....and everyone else within a 1 mile radius). I'm too much of a *wienie* to travel without her, but I may have to in the next few months

Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I was afraid that the online stuff was BS (((sigh))). Good point re: what sidewalk/road conditions are considered "walkable." And no - I have never stepped foot there. It's not the area for us - I need to be just a tad higher up (sea-level wise, after living thru Sandy). I just happened to read your posts about the area and wanted to compare online info to a real person (well, as much of a real person as you can get on an online anonymous forum, lol). I am trying to research as much as possible online but it is so hard. We are relocating to Wellington area from CT in the next 6-9 months. I wish I could get down there more in person but I have a baby and the traveling is really hard on her (and us....and everyone else within a 1 mile radius). I'm too much of a *wienie* to travel without her, but I may have to in the next few months
IMO - there is no substitute for setting eyes on a place and actually trying to do stuff there (which is why I almost always suggest renting before buying). Also - it occurred to me that when that "walkability index" is talking about "Coconut Grove" - it's talking about the *center* of the Grove where most businesses are located - not the residential areas where most people live. Which are pretty extensive. Although Coconut Grove isn't a "city" with "city limits" - it IMO (off the top of my head) is pretty much the area that is bounded by US 1 on the north - the Rickenbacker Causeway entrance on the east - Biscayne Bay to the south - and the City of Coral Gables to the west (perhaps the City of South Miami too - can't remember without looking at a map).

In terms of elevation - there's a prominent bluff/ridge in parts of Coconut Grove:

Atlantic Coastal Ridge
  • low elevation ridge on eastern coast
  • (20- 24 ft high in Coconut Grove)
  • extensive feature, extends north to Georgia
Notes on Florida Geology

The bluff is easiest to observe (it's very visible) when you're driving along South Bayshore Drive between the Rickenbacker Causeway entrance and the center of the Grove. The (very nice) houses on the north side of South Bayshore Drive are elevated considerably. Of course - I don't know exactly where the bluff starts/ends - or which places are at exactly what elevations - but you'd be hard-pressed to find higher elevations anywhere on the Florida peninsula close to the water.

OTOH - these elevations didn't help homeowners too much during Hurricane Andrew (although they did prevent storm surge flooding - boats washed up onto South Bayshore Drive and stopped there). Because Andrew was primarily a wind event (it hit Coconut Grove as a strong Cat 3 storm - to the south it was a Cat 5). It's hard for me to describe what South Bayshore Drive looked like right after Andrew:

Hurricane Andrew: 20 Facts You May Have Forgotten (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

And - as a newcomer to Florida - don't confuse being inland with being safe during a major hurricane. Whether you're talking about damage from water/flooding - or wind - you can get them inland as well as closer to shore (we had friends in Gainesville who were flooded out during the 2004-05 storm seasons - and central Florida was dotted with "blue roofs" from one coast to the other).

BTW - if you have a child - Coconut Grove isn't the best area in Florida for public schools (I don't have children - but all of our local friends who had children sent theirs to private schools). Robyn

Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
I've done a lot of walking in the Grove. I have acquaintances off McDonald and it's easy to walk up to Rt.1 To Milams for groceries or down to Grand with CoCo Walk and all the other bars, restaurants, boutiques and other businesses. That is, if you can handle 5 or 6 blocks.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I've done a lot of walking in the Grove. I have acquaintances off McDonald and it's easy to walk up to Rt.1 To Milams for groceries or down to Grand with CoCo Walk and all the other bars, restaurants, boutiques and other businesses. That is, if you can handle 5 or 6 blocks.
I lived in a "young singles place" on Mary Street at one point - which was much closer to the areas you mention than my other location - Grove Isle. I reckon from the north Grove (where I lived) to the south Grove (where friends of mine lived) - you're talking about 4-5 miles on the bike path. So people "in the Grove" can live 3-4 blocks away from X - or 3-4 miles away from X - depending on where they live in the Grove. The Grove - like most places - isn't a pinpoint on a map - it's a decent sized geographical area. Robyn

Old 03-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I lived in a "young singles place" on Mary Street at one point - which was much closer to the areas you mention than my other location - Grove Isle. I reckon from the north Grove (where I lived) to the south Grove (where friends of mine lived) - you're talking about 4-5 miles on the bike path. So people "in the Grove" can live 3-4 blocks away from X - or 3-4 miles away from X - depending on where they live in the Grove. The Grove - like most places - isn't a pinpoint on a map - it's a decent sized geographical area. Robyn
I absolutely agree, but as such, I also have to say, you can do walkable if you choose to live within walking distance of places you need to walk to.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I absolutely agree, but as such, I also have to say, you can do walkable if you choose to live within walking distance of places you need to walk to.
Maybe IMO. Depends on one's needs (as well as one's wants).

At my age (close to 70) - I really like to be close to Mayo JAX (where I get most of my medical care) - but being within walking distance of Mayo isn't an option for a variety of reasons (OTOH - a 10-15 minute drive is ). Note that with WRT friends our age in Miami - they are getting most of their medical care at Baptist these days. And living within walking distance of Baptist isn't an option for them either.

And then there are the other things. Like golf. The course we belong to (now closed for 7 months for major renovations) is only about 2 miles away. Which is not walking distance with a golf bag - at least for us . And - during these 7 exile months - we're exploring alternative golf courses 10-15-20 miles away.

Also - I like to cook - and garden - and explore places to buy various food ingredients and plants all over this metro area. Most are 5-20 miles away.

These are "regular" things. Coming up this month are seasonal events like the Clay County Fair - the Tour de Farm - and One Spark in downtown JAX - none of which we could do without a car (or perhaps a cab in some cases - couldn't do Tour de Farm with a cab).

One can constrict one's life if necessary. Like there's a young guy who works at our local Waffle House who doesn't have a car - only rides his bike - and he never gets more than 2-3 miles from home - so he doesn't even get regular doctor checkups because there are no doctors near where he lives . At my age - I'm still looking to expand what I do in my life - not constrict it. Robyn

Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,503 times
If people want to determine the walkability of an area without actually stepping foot there, I recommend people to at least use Google Street View.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=resta...,82.85,,0,3.07

Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe IMO. Depends on one's needs (as well as one's wants).

At my age (close to 70) - I really like to be close to Mayo JAX (where I get most of my medical care) - but being within walking distance of Mayo isn't an option for a variety of reasons (OTOH - a 10-15 minute drive is ). Note that with WRT friends our age in Miami - they are getting most of their medical care at Baptist these days. And living within walking distance of Baptist isn't an option for them either.

And then there are the other things. Like golf. The course we belong to (now closed for 7 months for major renovations) is only about 2 miles away. Which is not walking distance with a golf bag - at least for us . And - during these 7 exile months - we're exploring alternative golf courses 10-15-20 miles away.

Also - I like to cook - and garden - and explore places to buy various food ingredients and plants all over this metro area. Most are 5-20 miles away.

These are "regular" things. Coming up this month are seasonal events like the Clay County Fair - the Tour de Farm - and One Spark in downtown JAX - none of which we could do without a car (or perhaps a cab in some cases - couldn't do Tour de Farm with a cab).

One can constrict one's life if necessary. Like there's a young guy who works at our local Waffle House who doesn't have a car - only rides his bike - and he never gets more than 2-3 miles from home - so he doesn't even get regular doctor checkups because there are no doctors near where he lives . At my age - I'm still looking to expand what I do in my life - not constrict it. Robyn
I'll agree with that too, but, there are those who would consider otherwise. I live in a car-centric bedroom community that still allows me to walk for groceries, a few restaurants and clubs, a few churches, two parks, the vet, and a few other places. I would not consider it to be walkable because I never intended it to be such. I think most people who are looking for "walkable" are considering everyday conveniences rather than hospitals and golf courses. When I lived in Cherry Hill, the people who moved over from Philly complained constantly about Jersey being too spread out, yet in Philly they probably only walked to a convenience store, deli, or a bar. Seriously though, I'll bet you never took walkability into consideration even when you were younger. I know I never did. I always lived where I wanted. If you go here:http://www.walkscore.com/FL/ You'll see that Miami is considered very walkable

Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I'll agree with that too, but, there are those who would consider otherwise. I live in a car-centric bedroom community that still allows me to walk for groceries, a few restaurants and clubs, a few churches, two parks, the vet, and a few other places. I would not consider it to be walkable because I never intended it to be such. I think most people who are looking for "walkable" are considering everyday conveniences rather than hospitals and golf courses. When I lived in Cherry Hill, the people who moved over from Philly complained constantly about Jersey being too spread out, yet in Philly they probably only walked to a convenience store, deli, or a bar. Seriously though, I'll bet you never took walkability into consideration even when you were younger. I know I never did. I always lived where I wanted. If you go here:List of Cities in Florida on Walk Score You'll see that Miami is considered very walkable
There are parts of my area where one could live (mostly in condos/apartments) within easy walking distance of the types of things you mention. OTOH - like Coconut Grove - Ponte Vedra Beach isn't a single point on a map - it's a pretty big geographical area.

As for everyday conveniences - I play/played golf/tennis more than I do grocery shopping (or go to the doctor - I do try to avoid doctor visits ). So being close to a golf course/tennis facility is an "everyday convenience" for me. I guess for most people who are still working - being close to where one works is probably the most important. And - for people with kids in school - being close to schools is important too.

Perhaps you recall - but I grew up in Cherry Hill NJ. I took a bus to school (4 miles away) - walked/rode my bike to visit friends - and had parents drive me and my friends to places like the mall. When my husband and I lived in Center City Philadelphia for a short time after school - we did take "walkability" into account in terms of getting to work. We worked at City Hall - lived in Rittenhouse Square - and walked to work. On our way back from work - we might hit a food store - the dry cleaner - a bar/restaurant - stuff like that. We were also within walking distance of department and other stores - movie theaters (and other entertainment venues - most of which we couldn't afford then ) - and many other things. So I guess that's where I got my idea of "walkable" from. There's really nothing like that in Florida IMO. Although the "walkability" didn't prevent us from moving (just got really sick of winter at a very early age).

FWIW - our old neighborhood in Philadelphia has a walk score of 100. And our neighborhood in Coconut Grove has a walk score of 85. The former is much more accurate in general than the latter IMO. But the former wouldn't cover our current lifestyle. Not too many places to play golf in center city Philadelphia . And the nearest Costco is about 25 miles away (ours here is about 12). IOW - I think this is far from a "one size fits all" thing at every stage of one's life. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida