Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 AM

628 posts, read 1,833,835 times

Advertisements

Here is a question Muggy asked of me on another thread (see post and answer below). As I was responding to this question I thought that: 1. This did not belong in the thread it was posted and 2. It would be interesting to hear comments from other posters with regard to the same question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Shores9, can you answer a question with 100% honesty for me? Doesn't Florida suck now that your house isn't paying you to be here?
Will you please admit you miss Long Island and Florida isn't what you thought it would be so I can finally think you're an o.k. guy?
Shores9, can you answer a question with 100% honesty for me?
I have no reason to not answer any question but honestly

Doesn't Florida suck now that your house isn't paying you to be here?

No, even with its problems Florida is still a wonderful place. Further, none of the enjoyment I get from owning my home (or living in FLA) comes from the dollar value it has. It’s a place that I take pride in caring for and enjoy being in, and a place where my family is comfortable, safe, and secure. That’s its primary value and these are the things that build great communities, states and country. It’s unfortunate that so many people are focused just on the dollar and miss the bigger picture for themselves their family and people around them.

Will you please admit you miss Long Island and Florida isn't what you thought it would be so I can finally think you're an o.k. guy?
As I said Florida is a wonderful place. As for Long Island - I do miss what it used to be but that place existed decades ago – in fact that place exists more here today than it does on Long Island.

So I can finally think you're an o.k. guy???
I don’t get it… What does this have to do with the price of bananas? Whether you think I’m an O.K. guy or not is irrelevant and holds no value (at least to me).

Old 02-09-2009, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
I don't know who this person is but I am from NY. I was born in Brooklyn, raised on LI, lived in Fairfield County (CT) and Westchester County (NY). I am 43 years old and I have lived in FL for 8 years.

I loved living in NY but I also love living in FL (Broward County). It is different here. The schools are not good here, but overall it is a good place to raise children. There are people here from all over the world and that is a very enriching environment for children.

The nice weather means that my kids play sports all year round. My boys are currently playing lacrosse. They don't play indoors in some smelly old facility like they do up north, but rather outside on the grass. Since outdoor activity is such a priority here most cities have nice facilities for sports with well kept fields and lights for night games/practices.

Since schools here do not always transport kids (you need to live at least 2 miles from school to get a bus) lots of mothers work around their kids schedules. I was never able to get an employer in NY to agree to that, but it is pretty common around here.

There are tons of activities for children in this area. I guarantee you can find any activity your child wants to do. I did not really feel like I was part of a community until my kids started getting involved in community activities (they were younger). Being a football, hockey, lacrosse, wrestling mother has brought me into the fold so to speak.

Many folks complain of rude people, but that has not been my experience. There are folks here from other countries and if you bother to meet any of them (they don't bite just because they speak spanish) you will learn that many of them are quite shy to speak because they are embarassed by their lack of english language skills.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:28 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
Before the hordes of bashers find this thread and lament all of Florida's woes, I want to say good posts. Rep points for both of you......

Despite the very real problems Florida has, it is not horrible for everybody.

Frank D.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM

263 posts, read 574,721 times
I think FL has it's + and it's -'s, but I think the overall quality of life has gone down in FL. but that's not to say all of FL has problems like a Miami, or Ft Myers, etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,814 times
Wow, still in denial...

Old 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I lived on Long Island (Smithtown) for 20 years. I moved a year and a half ago. No, I don't think it changed that dramtically.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Before the hordes of bashers find this thread and lament all of Florida's woes, I want to say good posts. Rep points for both of you......

Despite the very real problems Florida has, it is not horrible for everybody.

Frank D.
Frank,

Your optimism and positiveness are most refreshing in this abysmal economy. Florida has greatly benefited from the "grass is always greener" outlook from those wishing to escape the cold winters. It didn't hurt either when more people could take their well-earned northern pensions and significant home equity to the state that offered it all. What happened to the dream of retiring to the good life in Florida ?

You and I are among a small percentage of the lucky ones. We will have our public service pensions and our paid health benefits until Social Security that will be guaranteed by our government (kind of like FDIC). Luckily, we were long-standing members of unions that took exceptional care of their members. Yet, will you still feel the pinch that others are feeling through every facet of their lives, when you attempt to sell your home(s) and a scarcity of qualified buyers prevent this?

This forum is representative of individuals coming to grips with an economy that could potentially bankrupt them not only of their money, but their dreams. I would wager to say that even those who return to their native states will find that their visions are different from reality; the disappointments can and will still abound. Florida has long been billed as "the place where dreams come true", and for many years, and many people, this has held true. Unfortunately, and the economy has much to do with it, the credo for many has now changed. Florida has been unduly devastated by the national economic downturn. The Florida credo for too many now could easily change to: "Florida, the place where dreams come to die".

I don't view myself as a "basher", but a realist. Here's hoping that economic recovery is on the way soon, and that the Bills will soon return to the Super Bowl. Oh wait.... no one can wait that long!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Frank,

Your optimism and positiveness are most refreshing in this abysmal economy. Florida has greatly benefited from the "grass is always greener" outlook from those wishing to escape the cold winters. It didn't hurt either when more people could take their well-earned northern pensions and significant home equity to the state that offered it all. What happened to the dream of retiring to the good life in Florida ?

You and I are among a small percentage of the lucky ones. We will have our public service pensions and our paid health benefits until Social Security that will be guaranteed by our government (kind of like FDIC). Luckily, we were long-standing members of unions that took exceptional care of their members. Yet, will you still feel the pinch that others are feeling through every facet of their lives, when you attempt to sell your home(s) and a scarcity of qualified buyers prevent this?

This forum is representative of individuals coming to grips with an economy that could potentially bankrupt them not only of their money, but their dreams. I would wager to say that even those who return to their native states will find that their visions are different from reality; the disappointments can and will still abound. Florida has long been billed as "the place where dreams come true", and for many years, and many people, this has held true. Unfortunately, and the economy has much to do with it, the credo for many has now changed. Florida has been unduly devastated by the national economic downturn. The Florida credo for too many now could easily change to: "Florida, the place where dreams come to die".

I don't view myself as a "basher", but a realist. Here's hoping that economic recovery is on the way soon, and that the Bills will soon return to the Super Bowl. Oh wait.... no one can wait that long!!!

No disrespect meant sir, but dang it already, PLEASE KNOW THIS FLORIDA ISN'T THE ONLY PLACE in the USA where one can not sell a home, or if by chance one finds a buyer the seller is most likely taking a hit. I don't get these constant continual postings about how tough it is in Florida...move to Wilmington Ohio with soon to be if not already 60% unemployment, then find out how hard it is to sell a home...sheesh

Try Detroit, try Cleveland see how hard that is to sell..

Cripes! that comment could apply to almost every city and state in the country.

The world truly doesn't revolve around Florida. There are many places in just as bad dire straits, that aren't in Florida. That said, I do plan to move to Florida and spread my retirement around quite nicely. I hope whatever I spend helps the schools, helps the community, merchants, tax bases and on it goes, without much impact from one lady on the infrastructures....and I look forward to it...oh yeah wait....I can't sell my townhome.

Last edited by Mrs. P; 02-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
No disrespect meant sir, but dang it already, PLEASE KNOW THIS FLORIDA ISN'T THE ONLY PLACE in the USA where one can not sell a home, or if by chance one finds a buyer the seller is most likely taking a hit. I don't get these constant continual postings about how tough it is in Florida...move to Wilmington Ohio with soon to be if not already 60% unemployment, then find out how hard it is to sell a home...sheesh

Try Detroit, try Cleveland see how hard that is to sell..

Cripes! that comment could apply to almost every city and state in the country.

The world truly doesn't revolve around Florida. There are many places in just as bad dire straits, that aren't in Florida. That said, I do plan to move to Florida and spread my retirement around quite nicely. I hope whatever I spend helps the schools, helps the community, merchants, tax bases and on it goes, without much impact from one lady on the infrastructures....and I look forward to it...oh yeah wait....I can't sell my townhome.
People like you keep saying that other places are just as bad as Florida. Yet Florida had the 2nd biggest job losses in 2008, just behind California (even though California has almost double Florida's population).
Florida lost nearly as many jobs as much-bigger California in 2008 - St. Petersburg Times

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
People like you keep saying that other places are just as bad as Florida. Yet Florida had the 2nd biggest job losses in 2008, just behind California (even though California has almost double Florida's population).
Florida lost nearly as many jobs as much-bigger California in 2008 - St. Petersburg Times

May be so but you guys forget the huge job losses that started in 2005 and have continued in the Midwest.

Still that's not my point.

My point is, that people are not looking to move in to Cleveland Ohio, Detroit Michigan, Buffalo NY, Indianapolis IN, Gary IN and on and on .....especially for retirement....but they ARE looking to come to Florida. That is one advantage you have. You'll always have people like me hoping to retire there. Always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida