Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:41 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I have heard - and I have no confirmation of this - that there is no chemical that takes care of spiders and that there is nothing that you can do about them. Can anyone confirm this?

vpcats - Perhaps they are on Butterscotch's menu (and that is why you do not see anything)?! LOLOL
hahahahahahaha. I'd really have conniptions (is that how you spell that??).

Wow, how did you remember that it's Butterscotch?? You are good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
OH MY GAWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. You guys have me very worried now. We fumigate our house and yard about every 2 mths so I never really see anything. Not even the cockroaches that everybody complains about.
But spiders????? BIG spiders????
Is there anything one can do to get rid of them?
I don't care if they have a purpose. There are chemicals for termites and whatever else.
The spider that was the original subject of the thread comes in under your door or through any crack. They flatten themselves and can slide right in. I'm in my bedroom now and I am looking at a spider up in a corner of the ceiling. I have no idea how it got there. I guess all you can do is try to keep everything sealed up and keep a vacuum handy for when one gets in if it bothers you. This is my honest a God opinion, you should try to not be afraid of them. Unless it is a phobia just try to not freak out.

You don't have to like them or have them in your house like some of us do but they are not anything to really freak out about. Get up close and watch one for a while and see if you can get over the creepyness of it. Sit a stare at a lobster for a while and you will notice it is one creepy looking creature as well, and you have no problem eating it. It's just perspective.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:49 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The spider that was the original subject of the thread comes in under your door or through any crack. They flatten themselves and can slide right in. I'm in my bedroom now and I am looking at a spider up in a corner of the ceiling. I have no idea how it got there. I guess all you can do is try to keep everything sealed up and keep a vacuum handy for when one gets in if it bothers you. This is my honest a God opinion, you should try to not be afraid of them. Unless it is a phobia just try to not freak out.

You don't have to like them or have them in your house like some of us do but they are not anything to really freak out about. Get up close and watch one for a while and see if you can get over the creepyness of it. Sit a stare at a lobster for a while and you will notice it is one creepy looking creature as well, and you have no problem eating it. It's just perspective.

LOLLL... Well...lobster...now we're talking!
Yep, they ARE creepy looking too. I've never been able to hold a live one. I can only take them dead and cooked! Preferably boiled with lots of butter.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 AM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
I will have you know, that I woke up last night thinking about that awful thing! Couldnt get back to sleep!
How do you get them off your door?????? they dont really come after you, do they? that is just crazyyyyy!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
We spray quarterly and we see nothing! I'd think the more greenery you have touching your house, the more bugs you'll have. Those branches leaning over your roof and against your windows are highways for bugs and spiders to get in.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Who cares if there's spiders outside? Most aren't harmful and were here first. I have seen everything from those little star shaped white spiders to tarantula sized hairy ones. The eat bugs and won't hurt you. Why are people so selfish to invade an area and they destroy it's wildlife?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 PM

22 posts, read 75,767 times
Default spiders....ick

I live in Port St Lucie, and have been here for about 4 years now. When we first moved in, there was a lot of spiders around our house. I HATE spiders and actually get so paranoid when I know one is around. We were getting those big furry wolf spiders and these HUGE brown spiders which I was told are wood spiders. We also have these jumping tiny black and grey ones.

When my husband was at work one day, I opened the fuse panel and this huge wood spider came running out. I ran and got my neighbor and wouldn't let my daughter in the room. My neighbor, a Florida native, told me in his southern accent, "it's probably just a wood spider, not a big deal." He hit it with a broom because by this time it was right by my ceiling. It fell, behind my headboard mind you, and HE jumped 20 feet in the air. So much for "not a big deal"! He told me it will eventually come out. I wasn't about to rest with that idea in my head. I got my vacuum, moved my bed, and it took me a good 30 minutes but I got that sucker in the vacuum. I could be in a complete blackout and I don't I will ever again touch that fuse panel! We would get the huge ones in the garage, and that is where my washer and dryer are. I refused to do laundry once the sun set, and even the daytime was scary!

The moral of this long story is that we've been getting our lawn sprayed every other month, and knock on wood I can't tell you the last time I saw a huge spider. I don't know if when summer returns, so will they, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they've moved out. We were getting a lot of palmetto bugs (translation - Florida roaches) too but my brother told me to put Boric Acid all around the house. We did this before we started getting the lawn sprayed, and it seemed to work. Now we do both, and hopefully the bugs and spiders see this as a buggy barbed wire fence around our house!! The bugs and spiders are probably #2 on my reason for wanting out of the Sunshine State!

Old 03-24-2007, 06:56 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,216 times
Default Ever here the....

Anyone ever hear the saying that "you eat about 100 spiders over the course of your lifetime".

Rhumor has it that they crawl into your mouth at night while you are sleeping!
LOL

Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 PM

22 posts, read 75,767 times
Hey Minniemom......thanks for that!! I'm thinking I'm going to wear duct tape over my mouth now and pray i never get a stuffed nose so I can at least breathe!! Congrats on the closing of your house, I just read your post about your closing. We were thinking of 2 things, either leaving Florida altogether, or moving to Inverness. That's Citrus County, right? We have a daughter who is visually impaired, and I spoke to another parent on here that said there schools were great with her daughter. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutzmom728 View Post
Hey Minniemom......thanks for that!! I'm thinking I'm going to wear duct tape over my mouth now and pray i never get a stuffed nose so I can at least breathe!! Congrats on the closing of your house, I just read your post about your closing. We were thinking of 2 things, either leaving Florida altogether, or moving to Inverness. That's Citrus County, right? We have a daughter who is visually impaired, and I spoke to another parent on here that said there schools were great with her daughter. Good luck!
I knew that would get somebody
I have two nephews and a cousin in Inverness schools currently and I have to say that they love it. I know my sister and brother in law are very happy with the school system there. I would move there myself, but it is just toooooo close to my MIL & FIL. LOL. You should check it out. They are in clearview estates, which is nice, but a little bit of an older generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida