Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times

Advertisements

Here is my theory on the OP's question. My fiance is looking at possibly getting an offer from a company in Florida where you have to have a Bachelors degree. I told him I thought his chances were pretty good becuase he fit all of their criteria to a tee and he's got his excellent education and he's willing to move there. The way I explained it to him was this; back in the day when I was living there, hardly anyone I knew had a degree, mostly everyone either quit school or only had their high school diploma or GED, therefore the higher paying jobs were never available because only degreed people could get them AND the jobs that earned any kind of money were hard labor, blue collar jobs like air conditioning, construction, roofing, etc.. and you don't need a degree to do any of those. I told him all of those folks who actually did go to college, did so out of state and then moved to where the jobs were / are. Nowadays, a lot of those people are out of work but here again are still up north here and can't imagine moving all the way to Florida. So, yes, I tend to agree that maybe we are a bit remote for some folks, maybe we're just always going to be known as a tourist destination, snowbird heaven and party state and you know, a lot of folks I've talked to who are now looking for work are looking here in PA, NJ, California, Chicago, all of the bigger cities.
My theory for my fiance is that he won't have much competition in his particular field ONLY because the same people who work in that field are still working up north. Again, theory of mine and not meant to offend anyone. I am from Florida so I wouldn't bash my home state LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Because it would cost them money or votes.

In order to give a company money or tax incentives to relocate, the state has to swallow meaning tax payers have to swallow.

If Florida were to unionize, Alot of businesses that were used to making huge profit by exploiting their employees would close down and that's less tax money the state call pull from that business. It all rolls downhill...

In Tallahassee they LOVE this stuff because it means money. Honestly, I see alot of people that talk about how Florida has no income tax and while that's fine and well, They won't talk about how the realestate taxes and insurance costs more than makeup for the income tax.

lol you from Tallahassee? Maybe I feel your pain more as far as the whole job thing went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Here is my theory on the OP's question. My fiance is looking at possibly getting an offer from a company in Florida where you have to have a Bachelors degree. I told him I thought his chances were pretty good becuase he fit all of their criteria to a tee and he's got his excellent education and he's willing to move there. The way I explained it to him was this; back in the day when I was living there, hardly anyone I knew had a degree, mostly everyone either quit school or only had their high school diploma or GED, therefore the higher paying jobs were never available because only degreed people could get them AND the jobs that earned any kind of money were hard labor, blue collar jobs like air conditioning, construction, roofing, etc.. and you don't need a degree to do any of those. I told him all of those folks who actually did go to college, did so out of state and then moved to where the jobs were / are. Nowadays, a lot of those people are out of work but here again are still up north here and can't imagine moving all the way to Florida. So, yes, I tend to agree that maybe we are a bit remote for some folks, maybe we're just always going to be known as a tourist destination, snowbird heaven and party state and you know, a lot of folks I've talked to who are now looking for work are looking here in PA, NJ, California, Chicago, all of the bigger cities.
My theory for my fiance is that he won't have much competition in his particular field ONLY because the same people who work in that field are still working up north. Again, theory of mine and not meant to offend anyone. I am from Florida so I wouldn't bash my home state LOL
nah still not many jobs, if so they'll hire a straight out of college for less, or even get a few college students to do it pro bono, and the ones out there that are good paying going to have a ton of competition. if you have a degree, get out of florida, you will make a LOT more elsewhere. From my own adventures in the state in the last 7-8 years and talking to many of my colleagues, not much has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I view life as a swinging pendulum.... things will moderate over time. At the present time, the majority of our country's wealth is skewed into the hands of the select few. Our government has held upon the premise (for the past 8 years or so) that what is good for business is good for America. The value of the American worker has not diminished this low since the pre-Samuel Gomper days. Jobs have been exported overseas, and until the recent market correction, businesses have proliferated. Even corporations on the verge of bankruptcy are paying huge bonuses to failing CEO's with governmental funds. Many want to talk about the negatives of unionism, but who will call the corporations to task? Those so willing to criticize welfare and the unemployed American seem oblivious to corporate welfare and the fleecing of a shrinking middle class America.

The pendulum will soon swing back, once our government finds the courage to keep the Bernie Madoffs and Disneys from continuing to proliferate unchecked. Once it is realized that too many Americans do not earn enough money to buy cars, insurance, homes, travel, or buy the products that keep a strong economy growing, maybe the wake-up call will initiate a more "pro-worker" stance from our governmental entities.
Exactly, we are seeing a generation now that is for the most part doing much worse off than their parents, largely it IS the system and big corporations and outsourcing. Because the newer generation is much more educated than previously, but making a lot less! It is not really a complaint and I think maybe some of you older pro business folks just have it wrong this time and assume we are lazy lol... couldn't be farther from the truth. But yeah okay, exploit everybody else, as long as you are doing good for the moment, who cares right? Guess what, it will come back to bite you in the ass with this style thinking, this is what you are seeing right now. For too long the middle class in this country has been eliminated and turned into an actual lower class with only a few ultra wealthy. Work ethic and skills no longer cut it currently, you just have to get lucky right now...

Last edited by grapico; 03-16-2009 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,460,170 times
someone here mentioned something that made me start a new thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...employees.html

i cant resist starting a new thread

How much, if anything, should the govt be involved in creating/attracting high paying jobs?

Should local govts give free land to create research parks? Should they offer millions (or hundreds of millions) to corps to move here? If so, how much should each job be worth?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:21 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
\\

I agree with you and I made a similar point earlier. There are jobs that pay well in Florida but you have to be qualified for them. My friend moved from NY to Florida and ended up getting a higher paying job then he had. They hired him immediately and told him Northerns have a better reputation for work productivity and attendance. I remember when I first moved here we went to a Burger King, the manager was at the window and told me he was closed because no one showed up for work.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
You're right... We should just continue to let employers walk all over their employees.

Kroger is the 2nd largest grocery chain in the U.S. ( 2nd to Walmart ) and the 2nd most profitable. Kroger based out of Cincinnati, OH is a union based company. They give great benefits and and excellent pay.

The problem with the automakers are not the unions but rather the retirement packages that the automakers gave out.
The only two supermarkets that make the best places to work list every year are Publix and Wegman's. Neither is unionized. So what do you think of them apples?

Old 03-16-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Walmart employees in China are paid $1 US dollar a day for 10 hours a day and are forced to pay rent to live in slum apartments. Even if they CHOOSE not to live in them.
Do you shop at Wal-Mart? I don't. Ever. Even if I pay higher prices elsewhere. The best way to get them to change their practices is by boycotting them. Shop at stores that treat their employees fairly and use fair trade suppliers.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
My Father-n-law is a baker at a grocery store in Upstate NY - he makes 15$ an hour, but only pays like 700 for rent. I'll take that - and he's union, works out great for him!
If he were working for Wegman's he'd be making the same wage. paying less for health insurance, and not paying union dues. hmmmm.....

Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,180 times
Quote:
Why do yo think that we can figure these things out, but the people who make these decisions can't? It really is disconserting. I am moving to Florida for what I think is a better life for my kids, not to work less hard. My work ethic will be the same anywhere I go. I don't plan to move to Florida and then become lazy. I will be the same person there, that I am here. I just wish I didn't have to take a 40k pay cut for it.

Chelsa it would be expected of you to have proper work ethics and motivation because of where your coming from, and for those reasons alone you would be given a higher salary and not have a hard time finding a job. Just keep looking. You'll do great.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Wow, so an autoworker who worked a job for 40 years does not deserve a decent retirement but the CEOS who take more in bonus in one year then that worker made his entire life is ok.

It is not the retirements that was given out that hurt them, it was poor management of the businesses and the creaming off the top by high level thieves.

And of course our government not stopping the dumping of foreign cars into our country is a major problem.

Shut down the dumping of cars here and you will see the car industry thrive again. We are kicking ourselves in the foot by allowing imports to come in here and destroy out workforce.

My dad worked in a steel mill for more then 40 years, he devoted his life to them, made great money and has a healthy retirement that he so deserves.

They were trying to take away their insurance so the CEOs could fly around in big planes and have parties, that has been stopped by a lawsuit.

We need manufacturing jobs, and we need to stop the imports or limit them or we will continue to become a service job country.

If you work 40 years in any one place and was a good employee, you deserve what they told you what you would get if you worked all those years.
We bought a foreign car a few years ago. We wanted a hybrid, and there were no choices from American automakers. American automakers need to step up to the plate, stop worrying about created monster trucks, and start working on fuel efficient hybrids that have great reliability records if they want my business back.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,641 times
Quote:
I live in NY pay some of the highest taxes for everything, with no relief in sight. Everything is uber expensive here.
lol, In Nashville/Davidson County we have the highest sales tax in the US at roughly around 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida