Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

Or, is Florida doomed to always be a low wage state?

Do we have to make a choice between tourism and high wages?

Are we just to remote for Fortune 500 Companies to set up shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
The best way to bring in good jobs is to offer incentives to large companies with the types of jobs we want to have here.

Give them tax breaks and they will come. The Lake Nona project is a great example of public/private sector working together to bring in business that will offer high paying jobs.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM

831 posts, read 2,438,474 times
There needs to be productivity and motivation from employees to fill these jobs. IMO Florida isn't this type of state. Most people come here for a stress free, laid back life style which equates to lower paying jobs.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Give companies incentives to come to Florida and the good workers will follow.

Florida could have both the tourist and higher paying jobs, something other states have no chance at.

Remember Charlotte? The town was growing like leaps and bounds for many years in the early 2000's, they stopped giving incentives and started taxing them to death and they are leaving and taking jobs elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
One would need to ask himself (herself), why would a larger company with many well-paying jobs choose Florida? Would it be for the cheap labor? Possibly, but China, Mexico, and India are cheaper yet.

Would it be for the cheaper taxes? Possibly, but if the company is leaving a particular area, relocation costs may not be offset enough to move. Plus, most states will offer even more incentives to stay.

Would it be for the readily available trained workforce? Florida would need to make a more pronounced initiative by investing more money into its schools.... something that would veer from traditional thinking and possibly costing more than most Floridians want to spend. Where some might call it an investment in the state's futures, others might call it another "tax grab".

One of the largest corporations in the US has a headquarters in Florida (Disney). What have they done to raise the standard of living for the state's residents? Big business and money do not always translate into a better standard of living for the residents.

Florida's best hope for the future would be to continue to promote the axiom, "Florida, the place where dreams are made of". Build upon the tourism factor with low crime and a sense of what one might not have elsewhere.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Why do yo think that we can figure these things out, but the people who make these decisions can't? It really is disconserting. I am moving to Florida for what I think is a better life for my kids, not to work less hard. My work ethic will be the same anywhere I go. I don't plan to move to Florida and then become lazy. I will be the same person there, that I am here. I just wish I didn't have to take a 40k pay cut for it.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Those companies should then be taxed on the other end. If you take our jobs away for cheaper less reliable employees you should have to pay for it some other way, to the poin that it would make keeping the jobs in this country more attractive.

There is nothing that I hate more than talking to Annabelle (Puja) from Punjab about my credit card bill. Neither one of us can understand eachother at all, I'd much rather talk to Liz from Kentucky who probably won't cost much more.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
unionize

Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM

Can they do that being a right to work state?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Can they do that being a right to work state?
Tennessee is a right to work state and when I worked for Kroger, I was in the union and we had very high wages and 100% paid benefits while I worked there. So I would assume yes.

Edit: Here is a website from Indiana to get rid of " Right to Work "

http://www.union1.org/badforindiana/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida