Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,472 times

Advertisements

Transplant from OH, about 7 months ago.

Like a lot of people, I thought that Florida could be summed up as beaches, hot, and Disney. Even after many trips here visiting family, I was totally surprised by the parks and nature preserves. The wild areas here are absolutely amazing.

My ds's class goes on regular trips to a state park to learn about Florida ecosystems. Florida schools get a bad rap, but I love his teacher and his school.

The people here are sooo friendly. Drivers are always waving at joggers and bikers. Everyone on the bike path smiles, nods, or says hello.

As a buyer and not a seller, I've got to love the housing market. We were 3 days away from closing when our short sale fell apart (and it's a mess), but there are so many other houses and I love the style of houses here.

Of course, the weather. Personally, I don't really like hot weather, but we've had a good 6 months of nice weather that's not too hot. We moved here in August and it was much more tolerable than I expected. Bright sunshiney days are nice and uplifting, but it's the fact that we can get out and bike or go to parks or DO things that is so great.

Palm Coast isn't huge, but I'm surprised by the diverse activities here. Once we're more settled in a house, I'm going to take belly dancing classes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:04 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,517 times
What city do you live in? This was a really nice post!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Transplant from OH, about 7 months ago.

Like a lot of people, I thought that Florida could be summed up as beaches, hot, and Disney. Even after many trips here visiting family, I was totally surprised by the parks and nature preserves. The wild areas here are absolutely amazing.

My ds's class goes on regular trips to a state park to learn about Florida ecosystems. Florida schools get a bad rap, but I love his teacher and his school.

The people here are sooo friendly. Drivers are always waving at joggers and bikers. Everyone on the bike path smiles, nods, or says hello.

As a buyer and not a seller, I've got to love the housing market. We were 3 days away from closing when our short sale fell apart (and it's a mess), but there are so many other houses and I love the style of houses here.

Of course, the weather. Personally, I don't really like hot weather, but we've had a good 6 months of nice weather that's not too hot. We moved here in August and it was much more tolerable than I expected. Bright sunshiney days are nice and uplifting, but it's the fact that we can get out and bike or go to parks or DO things that is so great.

Palm Coast isn't huge, but I'm surprised by the diverse activities here. Once we're more settled in a house, I'm going to take belly dancing classes!
Wow! What a refreshingly positive, beautiful post!

I'm so impressed I even feel like sigining up for a belly dancing course myself. lol. Guess I could be a bouncer at the school to protect the gals enjoying all the positive things they can do there living in Florida!!!!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM

86 posts, read 417,323 times
Born and raised in South Florida, went to college in central-north Florida.

+ I like how you find a wide variety of environments within a few hours drive. For example, you can hit either coast for water sports and the beach lifestyle, or you can go to the center of the state for a more rural experience with hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.

+ Obviously can't beat weather in winter.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Sorry, Chelsea, I cannot think of one single thing, and I really did try. Cigarettes are cheaper than New York? They are going up April 1st because of the manufacturers, not Florida. I don't have to pay a lot of money for a wardrobe because I don't care anymore what I wear? How many shorts and capris can you possibly own? My grocery bill is way down, because again, when it is so hot I don't feel like eating? I don't have to get my car inspected once a year like in NY? If I don't want to spend the money to get the brakes, or anything else fixed, then I can just take my changes with getting into an accident? They don't FORCE you to get your car fixed here. I don't have to pay for medical insurance? The state of Florida is paying for it. Unfortunately, the doctors only work until 3 PM weekday, and not at ALL on weekends. They have to go to the beach and play golf too.

Good things? You tell ME.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I don't have to get my car inspected once a year
Yes and that reminds me. I absolutely love my "Invest in Children" Florida license plate, you know, the pastel one with a palm tree and 3 children on it. It wasn't expensive and it makes me smile everytime I see it.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
We've got manatee and panther plates on our cars. I've always liked the big kitties and manatees are just too cool for school.

I'm just back in from a run. The developer of my suburblet was pretty good about tree conservation and the town's old enough that the added landscaping has matured nicely. Right now everyone's azaleas are exploding into a riot of color for the next couple of weeks. I got buzzed by a small hawk, one of many that live in the trees here. And then when I was about 3.5 miles into my run and on the woods trail (a paved trail in a 50 foot wide greenbelt that cuts between a couple of subdivisions) I had to stop in order to help a little girl apprehend her family's escape artist German sheperd that had gotten out of their back yard.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:45 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
Absolutely beautiful women, sun most the time, lakes everywhere, palm trees, the ocean and beaches, nice blue clear sky (nobody mentions this), spanish food, alot of diversity compared to other states, not too many religious freaks, easy going people, green most of the year, not too many gray dead trees, birds (except for the annoying loud sand cranes that can wake you up rudely). Cheap cheap cheap cheap housing now!! Now is the time to buy! I can't believe how cheap houses are here now! Edit: attractions Disney, Universal, SeaWorld etc and jet skiing, surfing etc.

Of course FL has negatives but I'm just doing as I'm told LOL!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,727 times
I like the weather 3-4 months out of the year. I like being by the ocean, the causeways, fishing off the coast. Those were memories I had with my father when he lived here after retiring from Illlinois. We enjoy the attractions and the FL discounts as they charge ridiculously high prices, my family acts like tourists when we're there. I like the fact that I'm near cruise ports.

All this is nice, but not enough to convince us to stay. We will come back here for vacations like we used to.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:02 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,374,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Sorry, Chelsea, I cannot think of one single thing, and I really did try. Cigarettes are cheaper than New York? They are going up April 1st because of the manufacturers, not Florida. I don't have to pay a lot of money for a wardrobe because I don't care anymore what I wear? How many shorts and capris can you possibly own? My grocery bill is way down, because again, when it is so hot I don't feel like eating? I don't have to get my car inspected once a year like in NY? If I don't want to spend the money to get the brakes, or anything else fixed, then I can just take my changes with getting into an accident? They don't FORCE you to get your car fixed here. I don't have to pay for medical insurance? The state of Florida is paying for it. Unfortunately, the doctors only work until 3 PM weekday, and not at ALL on weekends. They have to go to the beach and play golf too.

Good things? You tell ME.
If u have nothing nice to say why bother posting anything???? obviously everyone on here knows how much u hate florida....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida