Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:08 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,262 times

Advertisements

In our apartment, I saw a few huge roaches. They were nasty!

But since we bought our house, and get that yearly (or maybe quarterly, I cant remember) spray (that is actually inside the walls), havent seen one yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Whew - thank goodness - this was about to be a deal breaker.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
roaches can be horrible, or non existent depending where you are... I haven't seen one since I got here 5 months ago...

BUT

I helped remodel a house once when I was about 15 and there had to be 10,000 cockroaches inside the walls, literally they ran out and were enough to blanket an entire front yard, weird albino ones and stuff in there too. One of worst experiences of my life as we had to kill them all and my god did they stink. We basically tried to take the drywall we were pulling out and then throw whole panels down on the roaches to smash them. Ended up taking out a blow torch and having to torch the ones in the yard as they were just not dying.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hello all, please be constructive when posting. A lot of people depend on these posts to ring true.

Aside from petty crime (if you were robbed at gun point, please do tell), what are the negatives of uprooting your life in another state to move to Florida. If you have lived in Florida all or most of your life, what are your negatives about your home state, if you have any. Remember guys constructive! Please talk about quality of life issues and the like. Bad jobs too.

Honestly? There's nothing specific to Florida. Tourists, rude or stupid people, cockroaches the size of ponies, killer mold, alligators, bad traffic, bad schools, hurricanes, a crappy economy, Formosan termites, fire ants, invasive plants, spiders, weird laws, humidity, rogue cops...you can get any of that, anywhere. Probably not all of it at once though.

Same thing with the good points. We get pretty sunsets (or sunrises for my east coast friends), beach weather in February, terrific grouper sandwiches and sweet potato pie, jacaranda trees, herons and bald eagles and spoonbills (oh my!), yards full of butterflies...lots of cool stuff. Which, admittedly, a lot of other places have, too-- though again, not often all at once.

That's both the curse and the charm of Florida-- it's just...MORE.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post

I know someone who works at a major healthcare organization and she tells me there's always returning drug seekers, the same people, coming in and out like a revolving door. These seekers have no insurance, but the hospital admits them, and guess on who's dime? Rather than case workers working on rehabilitation program for these folks to become constructive citizens to contribute to society, the doctors just keep prescribing drugs or painkillers so they just stop complaining, further increasing their dependency on drugs, and even new drugs because these doctors push new meds that pharmaceuticals tell them to try (possibly at with some kickback?), and the docs push them. It's like legalized drug pushing.

Thank the deinstitutionalization of the 1980s and the cuts in social services of the last several years for that one. And you can thank the insurance companies, too, for refusing to pay for drug treatment (so the 28-day treatment centers of the seventies and eighties disappeared, replaced by "crisis intervention" centers who keep patients 24-48 hours then and kick 'em to the curb).
Case managers can't send clients to rehab that doesn't exist.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Those knats in the summer right before or right after it rains. At least you can see the mosquitos and put on repellent. How do you put bug spray on your face? Those knats will swarm in your face. You get them in your eyes, in your ears, up your nose, and if you try to talk, in your mouth.

They mare MUCH WORSE than mosquitos.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:24 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Honestly? There's nothing specific to Florida. Tourists, rude or stupid people, cockroaches the size of ponies, killer mold, alligators, bad traffic, bad schools, hurricanes, a crappy economy, Formosan termites, fire ants, invasive plants, spiders, weird laws, humidity, rogue cops...you can get any of that, anywhere. Probably not all of it at once though.

Same thing with the good points. We get pretty sunsets (or sunrises for my east coast friends), beach weather in February, terrific grouper sandwiches and sweet potato pie, jacaranda trees, herons and bald eagles and spoonbills (oh my!), yards full of butterflies...lots of cool stuff. Which, admittedly, a lot of other places have, too-- though again, not often all at once.

That's both the curse and the charm of Florida-- it's just...MORE.
Good post.

BTW. How do you multi-quote, does that button even work? I can only catch the last quote, not the previous quote.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Those knats in the summer right before or right after it rains. At least you can see the mosquitos and put on repellent. How do you put bug spray on your face? Those knats will swarm in your face. You get them in your eyes, in your ears, up your nose, and if you try to talk, in your mouth.

They mare MUCH WORSE than mosquitos.
The scars on my legs and arms (I now have and received while wearing bug spray) will disagree with you any day of the week. Never did I get that living in Ohio, MD, IL, CA, or even Tampa. SWFL has some mean nasty mosquitos.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 PM

343 posts, read 1,046,096 times
Another thing I really don't like about South Florida is that everything looks the same. I understand that if you grow up there, you can tell the difference, but to people visiting, it looks one huge copy-paste.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:20 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
Another thing I really don't like about South Florida is that everything looks the same. I understand that if you grow up there, you can tell the difference, but to people visiting, it looks one huge copy-paste.
Plus nothing ever changes year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida