Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times

Advertisements

I know it isn't Vero Beach, nice as it is. What are your views and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I've found Vero Beach to be very friendly! I have a few friends that live there and love it. Unfortunately some people won't be happy regardless of where they live.

Cape Coral also seems friendly, and the town I live in, Clermont, is also full of friendly people. I've also met really friendly folks in Jupiter, Winter Park, all over teh state for that matter.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM

141 posts, read 752,337 times
North central Florida is amazing. It still has the Southern "Old Florida" feel. As you get further South, friendliness and the number of transplanted New Yorkers are inversely proportional.

Last edited by DeoGratias; 04-10-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Sure, there's friendly people in Vero. No reason to make a judgment call. There's friendly people (and unfriendly people) everywhere but that's not what I asked. I asked where is the friendliest place in Florida to live.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Miami

Old 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Sure, there's friendly people in Vero. No reason to make a judgment call. There's friendly people (and unfriendly people) everywhere but that's not what I asked. I asked where is the friendliest place in Florida to live.
I believe you asked for views and experiences. I'm gonna agree with annerk on this one.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Wow. Ok. I thought you wanted experiences/thoughts not just a quick answer. I dont know if I could say the friendliest because I havent been to every city, but I would say some of the friendliest are: Jacksonville (friendliest big city in FL), Clermont, Sebring, Lake Placid, Clewiston, Dade City, Fernendina Beach, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Brooksville, Vero Beach, etc... as mentioned above, pretty much the further north, the better. The unfriendliest: Miami, Orlando, Boca Raton, Palm Coast (I find the retirees there rude and crude), most of Palm Bch County, Broward County and Dade County; Naples, Ft Myers, a lot of SW FL really, although I find the people in Sarasota to be somewhat friendly. I just find that South FL (both coasts) has waaaaay too many folks that are rude and aggressive/pushy.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:57 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Miami
LOL! You beat me to it! NOT!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've found Vero Beach to be very friendly! I have a few friends that live there and love it. Unfortunately some people won't be happy regardless of where they live.

Cape Coral also seems friendly, and the town I live in, Clermont, is also full of friendly people. I've also met really friendly folks in Jupiter, Winter Park, all over teh state for that matter.
So why make a slam about "some people"? It's not about being "unhappy" it's about making an observation about regional friendliness differences. Why is it when someone makes an observation about Florida they're immediately accused of being unhappy, depressed, unbalanced etc. Having friends somewhere doesn't make those people "friendly". LOL I have friends in France but the French are not famous for being "friendly" to Americans.

How do you define friendly? Saying hello and not being rude?

That's about how I see Vero Beach people and alot of the area in S Fl. I define friendly for example when I went home to Philly and was buying a cheesesteak and the guy was happy, talkative asked me how my day was going at 8 in the morning at home depot and when he heard I was moving my kid back home he offered alot of free stuff like napkins, condiments, extra ice in a bag etc etc and was asking questions about how Florida was. Typical FRIENDLY Philadelphia.

Versus when you shop at Home Depot everyone says "good morning" but when you try and get some help forget it ...unless you seek out certain "friendly people that you found before" and you make a mental note of who they were.

(although I have to admit I heard the Target team leader chewing out the employees at a morning meeting for ignoring customers and threatening to fire anyone who does because in this economy each customer is critical and that she'd be watching. I interrupted her and gave her props LOL)

Or when my mother had a wall unit delivered 4 months early by the stupid furniture store in February and the people left it on the CATWALK outside of her condo in Tequesta and not a single person bothered to call her at home up North to let her know her $7000 purchase was out in the rain for months.... And they all had her number.

I've been coming to Florida several months a year since 1962 and I knew there was an element of not friendly when I decided to move here permanently. That doesnt mean I "can't" make "friends". It just means the general atmosphere is distant and not interested in making small talk with strangers, or invite strangers into "their environment" ...so to speak.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Wow. Ok. I thought you wanted experiences/thoughts not just a quick answer. I dont know if I could say the friendliest because I havent been to every city, but I would say some of the friendliest are: Jacksonville (friendliest big city in FL), Clermont, Sebring, Lake Placid, Clewiston, Dade City, Fernendina Beach, Oviedo, Winter Springs, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Brooksville, etc... as mentioned above, pretty much the further north, the better. The unfriendliest: Miami, Orlando, Boca Raton, Palm Coast (I find the retirees there rude and crude), most of Palm Bch County, Broward County and Dade County. I just find that they are rude and aggressive/pushy.
This is helpful thanks for the good list. I agree with the unfriendliest. Except for the guy at Port Royale in FLL who washed the dog crap off my job interview shoe when I was looking there last week and they wanted me to rent from them.

He was the property manager and saw me sitting there holding the shoe while the agent and others were staring at me not even getting me a bag to put the shoe in when I asked for one. That would be UNfriendly. ...( and really pathetic job performance when you have signs all over saying We Want to Be Considered Outstanding LOLOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida