Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,270 times

Advertisements

Rednecks are not just limited to the south. There are rednecks in areas of Michigan, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, and other northern states that will make your head spin. Some downright scary folk. Oh I forgot you should try Northern Maine. Whoa Nellie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Rednecks are not just limited to the south. There are rednecks in areas of Michigan, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, and other northern states that will make your head spin. Some downright scary folk. Oh I forgot you should try Northern Maine. Whoa Nellie.
How DARE you challenge people's prejudices and misconceptions.

No really, how dare you. Northern Florida has collectively decided to reinforce every negative stereotype we have of this area to keep out the carpetbagging riffraff.

So instead of telling people I live in a nice, clean, relatively low crime, politically moderate to liberal, environmentally friendly well-run town, I'm going to start pretending to be a redneck, and that all of the Panhandle is a trailer park from Pensacola to Lake City.

Let them watch their Dukes of Hazzard reruns while they freeze their butts of in NJ, or dodge bullets in Hialeah.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 PM

16 posts, read 49,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
YEP!!! I can vouche for that!!! I'm from Pennsylvania. When I get down there.....I'll let you know if the PC area is as redneck as PA. We love our country music, our Nascar, and our backwards thinking , lol. But in all seriousness......the only thing I won't miss about up here is the crappy weather!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 36,730 times
You would probably fit better into the Miami area. We southerners in the panhandle probably are not your type. Geeze, how immature can you get ?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
You would probably fit better into the Miami area. We southerners in the panhandle probably are not your type. Geeze, how immature can you get ?

Just read the rest of the thread, he's not alone.

What is even funnier is that the OP seemingly didn't realize he was making an offensive generalization. After that, the number of posters that just reinforced his prejudice wasn't funny, it was just sad.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM

16 posts, read 49,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post

Whose post are you referring to?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Just read the rest of the thread, he's not alone.

What is even funnier is that the OP seemingly didn't realize he was making an offensive generalization. After that, the number of posters that just reinforced his prejudice wasn't funny, it was just sad.
I didn't read them all, matter-of-fact, didn't read many at all. I was first disappointed, then became a little upset. I belong to several different forums that discuss everything from politics to hobbies to job professions. I have never responded negativesly until I read that post and a few to follow. I promise, I always try to be a nice guy. I just joined this forum today, never had an infraction but I can see my first one coming.

I am one of the few original Floridians remaining. My family has been here for several generations. Unfortunately I was born, raised and educated in the Florida panhandle. Being the "Florida Rednecked Cracker" I am, my first concern was to be "roped" and "hog tied" by a 14 year old, snaggle toothed girl draggin' me off to a church to get married. Get it ? Married in a CHURCH. We overzealous religious, Bible totin', fanatics, want to be married in a church. My heavens !!

What this guy needs to learn, he ain't gonna get in college. I didn't realize folks had such a poor impression of we Southerners. I've got to get out and mind the slaves now. Ya'll come, ya hear ?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Come to think about it is pretty immature. Most people looking to succeed are not going to be hindered by cultural differences. Therefore, my only conclusion can be that his (and the others') goal is not to be as successful as possible, but to fit into a "cool" big city culture that gets a lot of press. I would rather aim to be a big fish in a little pond than a little fish in a big pond! If you think you can do better for yourself by living in Miami, or even Naples, etc, then by all means, that is one thing. However, if you are afraid you will become part of a negative stereotype by living in a certain northern geographical region, then I am afraid your priorities are in the wrong place!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Come to think about it is pretty immature. Most people looking to succeed are not going to be hindered by cultural differences. Therefore, my only conclusion can be that his (and the others') goal is not to be as successful as possible, but to fit into a "cool" big city culture that gets a lot of press. I would rather aim to be a big fish in a little pond than a little fish in a big pond! If you think you can do better for yourself by living in Miami, or even Naples, etc, then by all means, that is one thing. However, if you are afraid you will become part of a negative stereotype by living in a certain northern geographical region, then I am afraid your priorities are in the wrong place!
You said a mouthful !! Amen Brother.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM

62 posts, read 253,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
How about the folks that have moved to S FL? Is that more your style? The NY/NJ/Latin American-filled areas of S FL perhaps is what you are looking for?

yeah pretty much i'm a african american/puerto rican male of new york roots itching to be around more people that I have things in common with. So NY or S FL seems to be my go to places for a college transfer. Don't get it twisted though I love to meet people who are not like me just as long as they are intelligent and intriguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida