Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

158 posts, read 158,399 times

Advertisements

"Well, that poster claimed that there's no fresh fruit here compared to NY so I was just giving a helpful suggestion. "

Of course, everything and everyone is better coming from NY. Just ask em'.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Here is the newest data from Forbes on where people are moving to and mainly for jobs and cost of living:

5 cities where Americans are relocating - MSN Real Estate

As you can see Florida is nowhere in site. Another article also states Florida cities and town comprise one-third of the entire list of "Riskiest Places For U.S. Homeowners." In fact, FL and CA make up 75% of the list of 25 places. Here is the article:

Riskiest Places For U.S. Homeowners - Forbes.com

Again I just do not understand with these kinds of numbers for anyone to even considering moving to Florida right now especially without a great job waiting for them. These other cities are attracting people to their areas for jobs and careers. Florida is the same old same old and attracting people mostly for the weather and dreaming of an easy life. Not jobs or careers which lead to healthy populations.

A friend of mine who sells real estate spent 2 days showing houses to this guy who just moved down from IL. He lied about having a good job here in Florida, when he moved, and even his age and just about everything else. It turns out he has no money to live anywhere, no job, his wife threw him out and he figured why not move to Florida for a fresh start in life where it is warm. This guy turned out to be a total flake and a liar hoping to get lucky and not have anyone check his background or credit. Just another dreamer hoping to find gold at the end of the rainbow. I guess if Florida had a healthy and educated job market it would attract a different crowd like the other cities and states.
Raleigh NC #1.

Austin TX #2.

Charlotte NC #3.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Elaborate. If you can.
Home Owners insurance:

Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates

I pay $450/year for a comparable home.

Gas prices in Florida:

AAA Fuel Gauge Report

Gas prices elsewhere:

AAA Fuel Gauge Report

This article pretty much covers it.

South Florida cost of living increase highest in U.S. : Treasure Coast : TCPalm

Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Unemployment rate in Florida is 9.7%.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Home Owners insurance:

Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates

I pay $450/year for a comparable home.
Your "home" in BFE Midwest is not comparable to a home in my neighborhood, sorry, regardless of its size or materials composition. You have no ocean for hundreds and hundreds of miles. You have no intracoastal waterway six blocks from your home. You can't sport fish in the gulf stream, and you can't swim unless its in some god awful frigid lake or the rare hot spring.

The "house" is one part of the equation.

You know where housing's real cheap? That one city in Kansas where they GIVE land away so people will think about moving there.

BTW, my mother, who lives 10 miles from the ocean in Florida, pays only $800/year in HOI. Oh yeah, and neither she nor I have to pay 7% income tax, or an additional 1.5% or so in additional sales tax we'd have to pay living somewhere like Minneapolis, with its almost 8% sales tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn
Gas prices in Florida:

AAA Fuel Gauge Report

Gas prices elsewhere:

AAA Fuel Gauge Report

Your article is from mid-2007. A LOT has changed since then. You, and many others, should learn to stop living in the past.

You have missed the premise of the post you described as being full of "fallacies," however. The cost of living in Florida has gone DOWN immensely. It is cheaper in Florida now than it has been in years and years and years.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Tampa is in the top 5 cities where its hardest to get by, it currently has a 10.2% unemployment rate.
U.S.-Cities-Where-It's-Hardest-to-Get-By: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Florida also has 4 cities in the top 20 of the US.

In Depth: U.S. Cities Where It's Hardest To Get By - Forbes.com

Old 05-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Your "home" in BFE Midwest is not comparable to a home in my neighborhood, sorry, regardless of its size or materials composition. You have no ocean for hundreds and hundreds of miles. You have no intracoastal waterway six blocks from your home. You can't sport fish in the gulf stream, and you can't swim unless its in some god awful frigid lake or the rare hot spring.

The "house" is one part of the equation.

You know where housing's real cheap? That one city in Kansas where they GIVE land away so people will think about moving there.

BTW, my mother, who lives 10 miles from the ocean, pays only $800/year in HOI.

Gas prices in Florida:

AAA Fuel Gauge Report

Gas prices elsewhere:

AAA Fuel Gauge Report

Your article is from mid-2007. A LOT has changed since then. You, and many others, should learn to stop living in the past.

You have missed the premise of the post you described as being full of "fallacies," however. The cost of living in Florida has gone DOWN immensely. It is cheaper in Florida now than it has been in years and years and years.[/quote]

My home overlooks the mighty Mississippi!

Are you saying that the price of food, gas, home insurance, has gone down?

How about unemployment rates, or average wages, etc............?

Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Funny. Who CARES how close you live to the beach? I lived close to the breach on LI (PRIVATE one) and I live close to the beach in Florida. Don't go to EITHER.

Beaches. The be all and end all of life's existence. What superficial people.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 23,699 times
Probably because the weather.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
My home overlooks the mighty Mississippi!
Yay! America's mot polluted river!

america's ten most polluted rivers.

BTW, hope you get flood insurance.

Quote:
Are you saying that the price of food, gas, home insurance, has gone down?
Food? No. Food everywhere has gone up.

Gas, yes. Home insurance, yes. Taxes, yes.

Quote:
How about unemployment rates, or average wages, etc............?
Obviously unemployment has gone up. Wages are stagnant for most non-professional jobs. This is pretty much EVERYWHERE in the country.

It simply amazes me, however, that Florida, even though it was one of top 3 states to experience the construction and real estate boom and bust, does not calculate in the top 3 states for unemployment right now.

Naturally, one would think that unemployment would be even worse than it is now, yet places like North Carolina are almost at 11% unemployment, South Carolina is over 11%, and your beloved Minnesota is approaching 9% (WITHOUT a housing and construction bust to blame -- I mean, really, who moves to Minnesota without a reason?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida