Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You should have seen my in-laws flooded basement* after the remnants of Hurricane Ike went through.

*They live in central Michigan.
At least they have a basement.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yay! America's mot polluted river!

america's ten most polluted rivers.

BTW, hope you get flood insurance.

Food? No. Food everywhere has gone up.

Gas, yes. Home insurance, yes. Taxes, yes.

Obviously unemployment has gone up. Wages are stagnant for most non-professional jobs. This is pretty much EVERYWHERE in the country.

It simply amazes me, however, that Florida, even though it was one of top 3 states to experience the construction and real estate boom and bust, does not calculate in the top 3 states for unemployment right now.

Naturally, one would think that unemployment would be even worse than it is now, yet places like North Carolina are almost at 11% unemployment, South Carolina is over 11%, and your beloved Minnesota is approaching 9% (WITHOUT a housing and construction bust to blame -- I mean, really, who moves to Minnesota without a reason?)

Raleigh NC #1.

Austin TX #2.

Charlotte NC #3.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Heck Minnesota is still counting votes on their fingers from last years elections, what does that tell you!!

Some people would give up a better quality of life and live in states that are boring as heck just to save a buck. Money is not everything and lower your standards to live cheaper tells me you are not a person who enjoys being outside and around nature.

Reminds me of one of my brother in laws.

Lived in a beautiful 400k home with it all, a huge boat, swimming pools, hot tubs etc and decided one day he wanted to live cheaper. He sold his house and bought a 100 year old farm house and said he could live off the land with the 100 acres he bought with it.

All because he hit 50 years old and decided he had better save more money for retirement. He stopped boating, stopped all vacations, grew his own veggies, raised his own meat and worked like a dog for 2 years, worked his normal day jobs and ran a farm all is waking hours just so he could save a buck.

What he forgot was his wife and kids hated the farm, they hated the house, hated his new way of being a cheap a--, hated they never went to the beach with us again, never did anything but save that ole mighty dollar.

Now 53 and having heart problems caused by the stress of saving money and living cheap. He worked harder to try to save money then he did not being a cheap a--.

The farm is now for sale and they bought a home right down the street from where they used to live.

He spent 2 years of his life being cheap and living with lower standards of life, lower quality of life and it hurt them in the long run.

So with that said, if you are moving from Florida because you want to be cheap, 9 out of 10 of you wont get ahead a bit by doing what he did and being a cheap butt.

And by the way, he is out looking for another boat too!

He learned his lesson. Giving up something you enjoy just to be a cheap a-- does not always mean better. In fact in his case it was worse.

I wont lower my standards and I wont lower my quality of life, therefore we are moving to Florida to up the standards and have a better quality of life in Florida.

Now I know why so many leave Florida and find out the grass is not greener on the other side and run back to Florida as fast as they can because they found it was a better life where they were in Florida then where they went to.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I dont know why people are still moving to Florida. But all I know is, if Florida is going through as many problems as people say it is, in C-D, and in the media, with hurricaines, illegal immigration, crime, high housing prices, and despite ALL those problems, people are STILL moving there, then Florida must be a pretty DARN special state. Im just saying. And alot of the hatred of Florida on C-D is subjective. Not everyone likes the same thing, not everyone likes the great cities of the north, and not everyone hates the palm trees of florida. ALOT(not all) of the people that hate florida, just cant understand why some people like florida, as if it's taboo. If you actually DO like florida, then you get treated like you're wearing rose colored glasses. Some people just cant take in the fact that some people DO like Florida, and some people are not miserable like they are. Different strokes, for different folks. ALOT of floridas problems are just as overexagerrated as floridas posotives. The grass is greener analogy works both ways, not just AGAINST florida, but for people moving OUT of Florida. I know SOOOOOOOOO many, many, many, people who have moved out of florida just to go back to florida, SO, SO many. Florida definately has it's fair share of problems, but it's waaay too subjective to think of Florida a certain way based on YOUR situations, or circumstances, or prefrenceses.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My water bill averages about $125/month. It is just myself and my husband. We don't own a pool.

When I lived in NY, my water bill averaged about $75 every THREE MONTHS. I had two daughters living with me then taking very LONG showers (sometimes twice a day), and washing endless clothes. No pool there either.

The cost of water is VERY EXPENSIVE in Florida.
Maybe you should check if you have a leak because that sounds really high unless water costs more in Naples than Miami. We are a family of 4 and we have a pool and our water bill is $100 every three months. That includes sewer too so the water part is about half that. Water is about one of my only bills that IS cheap! You can shut everything off and go check to see if the meter is still moving.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You should have seen my in-laws flooded basement* after the remnants of Hurricane Ike went through.

*They live in central Michigan.
We had water in our basement here in NJ after Floyd. It happens all over.

And we've also had earthquakes in NJ, and a tornado touched down in our town in 1976. I saw the cloud myself (it scared the spit out of me), and the tractor-trailer my best friend's father was driving was picked up and tossed at a warehouse on the east side of town, where he was making a delivery.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
We pay about $70/month for water, sewer, and mind-blowingly comprehensive trash service (two general garbage, one recycling, one yard waste and one oversized/bulk waste pick-up every week. Every other place I've lived has been one consolidated general trash and yard, one recycling if you were lucky enough to get recycling at all, and you either had to call and reserve bulk waste or they only did it every quarter)

Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Maybe you should check if you have a leak because that sounds really high unless water costs more in Naples than Miami. We are a family of 4 and we have a pool and our water bill is $100 every three months. That includes sewer too so the water part is about half that. Water is about one of my only bills that IS cheap! You can shut everything off and go check to see if the meter is still moving.
I agree. My water bill for residential water is about $10 a month, the irrigation adds anouther $20 or so.

Sewer is lumped in with trash and is $40 a month.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM

158 posts, read 158,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Heck Minnesota is still counting votes on their fingers from last years elections, what does that tell you!!

Some people would give up a better quality of life and live in states that are boring as heck just to save a buck. Money is not everything and lower your standards to live cheaper tells me you are not a person who enjoys being outside and around nature.

Reminds me of one of my brother in laws.

Lived in a beautiful 400k home with it all, a huge boat, swimming pools, hot tubs etc and decided one day he wanted to live cheaper. He sold his house and bought a 100 year old farm house and said he could live off the land with the 100 acres he bought with it.

All because he hit 50 years old and decided he had better save more money for retirement. He stopped boating, stopped all vacations, grew his own veggies, raised his own meat and worked like a dog for 2 years, worked his normal day jobs and ran a farm all is waking hours just so he could save a buck.

What he forgot was his wife and kids hated the farm, they hated the house, hated his new way of being a cheap a--, hated they never went to the beach with us again, never did anything but save that ole mighty dollar.

Now 53 and having heart problems caused by the stress of saving money and living cheap. He worked harder to try to save money then he did not being a cheap a--.

The farm is now for sale and they bought a home right down the street from where they used to live.

He spent 2 years of his life being cheap and living with lower standards of life, lower quality of life and it hurt them in the long run.

So with that said, if you are moving from Florida because you want to be cheap, 9 out of 10 of you wont get ahead a bit by doing what he did and being a cheap butt.

And by the way, he is out looking for another boat too!

He learned his lesson. Giving up something you enjoy just to be a cheap a-- does not always mean better. In fact in his case it was worse.

I wont lower my standards and I wont lower my quality of life, therefore we are moving to Florida to up the standards and have a better quality of life in Florida.

Now I know why so many leave Florida and find out the grass is not greener on the other side and run back to Florida as fast as they can because they found it was a better life where they were in Florida then where they went to.
Do you REALLY wanna get into state's and the voting process? I think FL takes the cake with the problems and bone-headedness, dont you? People still havent forgotten and we are the butt of a lot of jokes.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
Raleigh NC #1.

Austin TX #2.

Charlotte NC #3.
Lol, so what does THAT tell ya?!

#1 and #2 getting flooded with new residents, yet the job market can't sustain it.

Have fun with THAT "y'all!" lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida