Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 09:29 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
EXACTLY, when I lived in Florida, i've NEVER seen any poisonous snakes, or poisonous insects, or aligators eat anybody, now that I think about it I never seen a gator period, unless they're a UF alumni. I've heard ALL the stories, they're almost like myths to me. Im not saying they arent true, but I just never had these incidesnt happen to me. Maybe some news stories over exagerrate a tad bit. And I lived in South Florida, and most of those stories seem to come from South Florida. Or maybe because I lived in an urbanized area also, but either way i've NEVER known ANYONE that has been bitten by a venomous snake, or an aligator, or poisonous insect.
Where I am in Sarasota there are quite a few snakes. I ran one over in my driveway and got out the book turned out to be poisonous. My nephew was running thru the yards and got bit by one. My sister in law couldn't find it and was in panic mode so they rushed to the hospital and he got a shot as a precaution. She found the snake near her driveway when they returned, cut its head off and returned to the hospital to show them. They obviously thought she was nuts but better safe then sorry.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
^^^Intresting, I guess it's a huge difference between south florida and southwest florida.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That wasn't the red tide that gave you the rash, jojajn.
Oh yes it was!

Quote:
A rash may occur after contact with affected water, and usually goes away within 24 hours.

Quote:
NASSAU COUNTY, FL -- Scientists say red tide is being blamed for the respiratory problems and fish kills at First Coast Beaches.

Wednesday, a health advisory was issued for the beaches in Duval and Nassau counties.
Red Tide Washing First Coast Shoreline | Firstcoastnews.com | Local News

Old 05-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What a Family of Four Would Need to Earn in Selected Urban Areas to Have Purchasing Power Equal to 300% of the U.S. Federal Poverty Level ($63,600), 2008

Cost of Living Variation - Minnesota - Kaiser State Health Facts

Whew! What a difference!?

You have so far FAILED in attacking my earlier premise: It is cheaper to live "day to day" in Florida now than it was a few years ago.

HOUSING PRICES down

INSURANCE COSTS down

TAXES down

You have done nothing but show you have marginal competence at using google.

DO things significantly change withing just a year or two? YES! Observe:

In Palm Beach County, 65.7 percent of new and existing homes sold in the county were affordable to a family making the median income of $67,600, NAHB says. That’s up from 53.5 percent in the fourth quarter. Affordability hit a low of 28.8 percent in 2006.

In the Treasure Coast, 81.4 percent of homes were affordable at the median income of $59,600. That’s up from 70.6 percent in the fourth quarter. In 2006only 20.5 percent of Treasure Coast homes were in reach of the typical family.

Real Time » Housing Affordability
Florida is not rated highly as a desirable place to live.

Quote:
Utah earned the highest marks. Here residents reported a high level of satisfaction in several areas, including work environment, emotional health and their local communities. One major factor for Utah's strong performance might be its unemployment rate: When last reported in January, it was 4.6% compared with a national rate of 7.6%.

Hawaii ranked second, followed by Wyoming, Colorado and Minnesota

America's Best States To Live - Forbes.com

Old 05-23-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Heck Minnesota is still counting votes on their fingers from last years elections, what does that tell you!!

Some people would give up a better quality of life and live in states that are boring as heck just to save a buck. Money is not everything and lower your standards to live cheaper tells me you are not a person who enjoys being outside and around nature.

I wont lower my standards and I wont lower my quality of life, therefore we are moving to Florida to up the standards and have a better quality of life in Florida.

Now I know why so many leave Florida and find out the grass is not greener on the other side and run back to Florida as fast as they can because they found it was a better life where they were in Florida then where they went to.

Quote:
New Hampshire once
again tops the Most Livable
State rankings. This is the fifth
consecutive year that the
Granite State has earned this
honor. New Hampshire excels
in a number of important
quality of life measures. The state boasts
low crime, low poverty, high income levels,
and a well educated population. Trailing
New Hampshire at the top of the rankings list
were Utah, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Iowa.
http://os.cqpress.com/StateRank2008_Rankings.pdf

Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I can find you 10 more that say the quality of life is better in Florida.

Who the heck would want to live in any of those states you just posted, not me.

Do not believe everything you read.

I prefer talking one on one to people who live in Florida and other states and getting their direct thoughts. I have talked to people all over this country for many years and believe me Iowa and Minnesota people are depressed and want to move to the SE region. New Hampshire, forget it, nothing interesting in that state at all. Wyoming, oh yea, what a thrilling life you would have. Only a cowboy would want to live in Wyoming.

Why are people still moving to Florida was the question, not why people are moving to Utuhhhh or Minnesuta.

Get real. Comparing those 4 state to Florida is laughable. Heck even West Virgina is better then any of those you listed.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:50 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:

It is not? Then why is it now the No 3 most populous state?

Florida is now passing NY and it is not desirable?

Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:

Utah earned the highest marks. Here residents reported a high level of satisfaction in several areas, including work environment, emotional health and their local communities. One major factor for Utah's strong performance might be its unemployment rate: When last reported in January, it was 4.6% compared with a national rate of 7.6%.
Because we always hear about people wanting to move to Utah.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Utah might be okay, at least you could drive or fly to Arizona or Las Vegas for a weekend to get a warm weather fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I can find you 10 more that say the quality of life is better in Florida.

Who the heck would want to live in any of those states you just posted, not me.

Do not believe everything you read.

I prefer talking one on one to people who live in Florida and other states and getting their direct thoughts. I have talked to people all over this country for many years and believe me Iowa and Minnesota people are depressed and want to move to the SE region. New Hampshire, forget it, nothing interesting in that state at all. Wyoming, oh yea, what a thrilling life you would have. Only a cowboy would want to live in Wyoming.

Why are people still moving to Florida was the question, not why people are moving to Utuhhhh or Minnesuta.

Get real. Comparing those 4 state to Florida is laughable. Heck even West Virgina is better then any of those you listed.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I'm not surprised to see Utah at the top of the list. The Mormons I've known have tended to be very happy people no matter where they live, and their faith emphasizes people taking care of themselves both physically and spiritually.

As for Florida's ranking in that study, it's essentially an average state that actually ranks ahead of the heavily touted Tennessee and North Carolina (and also New York). I'm actually surprised that it rated as highly as it did, considering how physical health was one of the metrics and we've got a ton of rather sickly old people down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida