Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,139 times

Advertisements

The nicest areas of Palm Beach county, in my opinion. This is my personal choice--I'm not basing it on the OP because the OP was a drive by who provided no information about their needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
So back on topic, where is the best place in Florida to live?

Last edited by stars99; 05-26-2009 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,614 times
Personally I am very happy with Jacksonville, the cost of living is so low here I went from struggling in MD to living comfortably down here...

Psouth what parts of FL are you referring to when you say that FL is one of the most expensive places to live? Are different parts of FL that much more expensive than JAX? Is JAX the cheapest place to live? Just from my experience in JAX this place is dirt cheap in terms of cost of living...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Personally I am very happy with Jacksonville, the cost of living is so low here I went from struggling in MD to living comfortably down here...

Psouth what parts of FL are you referring to when you say that FL is one of the most expensive places to live? Are different parts of FL that much more expensive than JAX? Is JAX the cheapest place to live? Just from my experience in JAX this place is dirt cheap in terms of cost of living...
We live dirt cheap here in Sarasota. I can't believe what a fabulous life we have here for so little - the only big expense is homeowner's insurance. This is a small to mid-size city with all the amenities of a big one, and only an hour to Tampa/St. Pete. Every day we look at each other and laugh and say "God, I'm happy - I love living here!"

I tell my husband all the time that they're gonna have to blast me outta here! I have no idea why some people constantly post how "expensive" Florida is, because it most certainly is not unless someone is trying to live beyond their means.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,139 times
I thought Sarasota was expensive to live in? That's what I've heard anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We live dirt cheap here in Sarasota. I can't believe what a fabulous life we have here for so little - the only big expense is homeowner's insurance. This is a small to mid-size city with all the amenities of a big one, and only an hour to Tampa/St. Pete. Every day we look at each other and laugh and say "God, I'm happy - I love living here!"

I tell my husband all the time that they're gonna have to blast me outta here! I have no idea why some people constantly post how "expensive" Florida is, because it most certainly is not unless someone is trying to live beyond their means.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:55 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I deal with the issues. There is a difference. I'm not sure what you do not understand about Florida needing jobs and people needing jobs in Florida.

Excuse me? There's no need to be insulting, you know. Please show me exactly where I exhibited a lack of understanding that Florida needs jobs. Show me the exact post where I stated that.

Every state needs jobs -- not just Florida.

Good jobs. But since you are retired it really does not matter to you.

Wrong. It doesn't matter to me on a personal basis-- however, on a social basis, it matters quite a bit.

You are coming from a different perspective.

Yeah -- as someone with nearly 32 years of experience in public employment. I've worked with a lot of people who needed my assistance -- and they got it.

By the way the other thread being shut down had nothing to do with me.
Whoa! Where did I say it did? You really need to stop putting words into the mouths of other posters. I was simply pointing out your proclivities in many different threads on this board.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Whoa! Where did I say it did? You really need to stop putting words into the mouths of other posters. I was simply pointing out your proclivities in many different threads on this board.
Relax a little will ya. Didn't you retire to Florida to enjoy the warm weather and relax?

Some of us are just replying to the subject matter and expressing our opinions. It's nothing personal. I have never stated anything derogatory toward you in any way. I am just not sure why you keep replying to and harshly opposing posts concerning work related issues in Florida when you spent your entire working life in another state and then retired in Florida. Sometimes first hand experience goes a long way. I am not sure what your point is. Again, not trying to offend but just sayin'.

Relax and enjoy the rain.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
The nicest areas of Palm Beach county, in my opinion. This is my personal choice--I'm not basing it on the OP because the OP was a drive by who provided no information about their needs.
Since some other posters directly asked for my opinion I am happy to oblige. Glad to be back on track in here btw.

I agree. I would say Palm Beach County and S. Florida in general. Nowhere is perfect and has its problems but you cannot beat the convenience to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Lake Okeechobee if that's your thing, and everything the Gold Coast has to offer. Of course you have the beaches and summer sea breezes as well. Disney World and Orlando is only 2 1/2 hours away also. Other parts of Florida especially N. Florida just do not offer the same things or convenience to so many things.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:53 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
It doesn't rain in Florida. You go months and months without a single drop, and then it POURS.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post

During the housing boom Florida overnight became one of the most expensive states to live in mostly due to housing costs. Things have gone down quite a bit since then but it is by no means cheap especially considering the lower salaries in Florida. Palm Beach County was the most expensive place to buy a home and live in Florida and it probably still is. All of SE Florida had prices out of sight for quite a while. Miami practically turned into fantasyland. It was ridiculous. Thankfully things are coming back to reality.

To answer your questions, N. Florida and other parts of Florida did not see a boom at all or it was on a much lower scale. Jacksonville and N. Florida is and always was much cheaper than S. Florida. Maryland is very expensive being close to D.C. and the Northeast and all. Jacksonville cannot compete with that and is much cheaper. I have friends just outside of D.C. and in the Baltimore suburbs who complain about the high cost of living all the time also. The Inner Harbor and aquarium are nice places to visit in Baltimore though. Don't get me started on the crime there though. I was afraid to get out of my cab at times. But I would say Jacksonville is one of the cheaper areas of Florida and much much cheaper than S. Florida. That is why you are seeing such a difference. Jacksonville is more of a working class kind of town as opposed to the rich fantasyland atmosphere of S. Florida.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
It's not raining at the moment in NJ.
I thought you moved to Florida. Now I'm really confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida