Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:41 PM

141 posts, read 505,885 times

Advertisements

We've definitely done our research; obsessively, for the past 18 months! We know all the areas for good schools, etc. Looks good, just last minute jitters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
I never get sick of the sun. In fact it feels weird now when the sun isn't out (like with the deluge of rain we had here a week ago). Someone recommended Southern California. That might be okay if you have a lot of money or really good job prospects there, but it's so expensive and issues with traffic. Have you considered the Phoenix area? Cheaper than CA, and it may be cheaper than Florida too (I don't know), since there's no homeowner's insurance issues there. But since you say you've done your research you may be deadset on Florida. No one here can make the decision for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I can't do desert - my in-laws live in Vegas and tried to convince us to move there. Way too dry and brown. I prefer humidity to dry "oven" heat. I just need greenery around me.

I'd say 80% of the people we have viewing our house are moving up from So Cal - fleeing all the tax problems, etc. Sure is nice there though.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:02 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
I had issues in New England with the six months of dark and cold. I moved here and I love it. I love the rain and thunderstorms. In the summer how they last a couple hours and then clear out. The palm trees, the gorgeous beaches, the exotic birds, seeing dolphin playing in the bay on my morning jog. In December when everyone else in the country is getting dark at 4pm; we're low enough to keep it sunny until six.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM

164 posts, read 652,729 times
It scary when we make a big change .The worse thing that can happen is if you don't like it you can go back .Wishing you all the best . Oh what part of Fl you moving to.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. We are leaning towards Winter Springs or Oviedo- we want to be near Orlando for ease of travel (for us and visitors) Flights always seem to be cheaper out of Orlando. I love South FL but my husband is worried about the greater hurricane threat and insurance rates there.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:42 PM

216 posts, read 913,596 times
We moved to Orlando last summer, after 35 years in New Hampshire (my entire life)!! I was nervous, but the SOLE reason to move was the weather. I could not take another snowy winter. I truly feel like I have died and gone to heaven here in Florida. I know I am probably the minority in thinking that way, but the sun and heat are wonderful. I look forward to every day, the blue skies, sun shining, palm trees..........I guess it takes 35 years of gray, dreary, dead, snowy winters to really appreciate it. I cannot see ever going back north, unless to visit during the summer.

The sunshine is SO positive and good for you. Sunscreen is SO much easier than snowsuits.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
You'll be trapped indoors just as much or even longer than up north. I actually spend LESS time outdoors than when I lived in the northeast. The sun is nice but the heat and humidity is awful for most of the year
So true, I spend on average 8-10 months indoors, depending on the weather (this year has been unusually nice, but I know its not the norm.) which I really hate, I wish I lived in a place that was a little cooler that allowed me to enjoy being outdoors like California. In the last 10 years its gotten hotter here in South Florida compared to the 80s and 90s. Another reason I stay indoors is to avoid the sun, people that live in Florida have higher rates skin cancer which runs in my family.

OP - Florida isn't for everyone, but many people do love it. You have done all your research and you visited Florida recently in the summer months (I hope) so you know what you are in for with the weather, this might be the right move for you. You know the cost of insurance for the car, house, property taxes etc. You understand the hurricane risk in the part of Florida you are looking at. And everything you learned still made Florida a right choice, then you probably are just having last minute jitters. My sister had them just before she moved out of Florida two years ago...A few months after she settled in, and she is fine up north. And if you move to Florida and decide it was a mistake you can always move since you guys work out the house.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM

31 posts, read 33,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miakelly View Post
We moved to Orlando last summer, after 35 years in New Hampshire (my entire life)!! I was nervous, but the SOLE reason to move was the weather. I could not take another snowy winter. I truly feel like I have died and gone to heaven here in Florida. I know I am probably the minority in thinking that way, but the sun and heat are wonderful. I look forward to every day, the blue skies, sun shining, palm trees..........I guess it takes 35 years of gray, dreary, dead, snowy winters to really appreciate it. I cannot see ever going back north, unless to visit during the summer.

The sunshine is SO positive and good for you. Sunscreen is SO much easier than snowsuits.
The sole purpose was the weather? I'm glad it worked out for you.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
In the meantime I will hibernate as much as possible. I also sit outside in the dark as much as possible too. Sun lamps will do nothing for ME.

Any Summer SAD self help groups in Florida? I doubt that. PLENTY for those with classic SAD. Maybe I can find a vampire group instead.
There's plenty of time for dreary darkness after you're dead.

Florida is about sunshine and the weather. I love that we can grill year round, enjoy a cocktail on the patio in January, walk the beach in February, play golf and garden year round. I love looking at palm trees and hibiscus year round instead of dead brown grass and naked stick branches. If you don't like sunshine then you don't like living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida