Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,808 times

Advertisements

I start my new job in Naples this upcoming Monday. Can you believe it? I am excited and scared all at the same time. It's been complicated with my son and getting approval to bring him with me. The plan is to let him finish 5th grade school here with me flying back every weekend until the middle of June. However, I may miss him so much....he may have to come sooner.

I wanted to drive my car down....but just ran out of time. So I am flying on Sunday. I found a great house to rent for $1500 a month - a real bargain for what I am getting in the community called Saturnia Lakes in North Naples.

I even met a couple friends there already! Amazing how this just seems meant to be!

The pay, as you all suspected, is about 60% less than I was accustomed to making here --- but I am happy to live a much simplier life.

Sorry I haven't written. I just couldn't breath...and keep this dream going and then to share it with you, until I knew it was absolutely final. Nor did I want to bore you all with the constant blah, blah, blah struggles --- and the approval to take my son only came yesterday. So it is all now my true reality.

My son does not want to go. But we spent his vacation last week down there, and he is coming around. It's just his friends and his baseball teams. Just this year....the friendships really became strong and bonded.

What do you think about moving ALL my stuff down? Is it worth the cost which I havent even looked into --- or should I sell everything and just start fresh?

Finally, any advice on the "fundamental cultural differences" about working in Florida? I want to fit in...be myself....but also be sensitive to the unspoken nuances of working in SW Florida. The company is highly conservative. I do believe the majority of the folks are from Florida - but not sure.

Miss you guys! Keep me posted! I can't wait to plant my flowers and plant my first ever lemon and orange tree!.....oh, and see the gorgeous blue herons, egrets and pelicans flying by. Now, to me, that is paradise.

Ohhhhhhhhhh.....and it was definitely brutally HOT down there last week. Whew! It will take some time to get used to. On the other hand, when I returned to NJ....it was in the low 40;s, cold and rainy. SO............
Life is looking up! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...for those of you I have bonded with on this site that are close by....lets make plans to get together and meet!

Finally, I cannot thank you all enough for all of your non-stop support, encouragement and information - both good and bad.

Please keep writing and I will too...as I share this next episode in my new life as a FLORIDIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs and Coconuts!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM

21 posts, read 98,249 times
Congratulations!!! That's so great to hear that someone is loving Florida. I am looking in Cape Coral for now...but many people seem to think it's not such a good idea. I hope you are happy in your new place and Im sure your son will make a lot more friends in Florida.
Wishing the best for you!!!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky123 View Post
Congratulations!!! That's so great to hear that someone is loving Florida. I am looking in Cape Coral for now...but many people seem to think it's not such a good idea. I hope you are happy in your new place and Im sure your son will make a lot more friends in Florida.
Wishing the best for you!!!!!
I WILL be happy!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,465 times
Best of luck to you!! I'm sure you will love it. I can'twait to join you and get out of this crazy northern April weather!
Let us know how things are going!
Have a safe trip down.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:40 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,074,139 times
Nancy, good to hear from you. Thought they kidnapped you down there and held you hostage at your new employer. Hope you enjoy your new job and state.

Ps; Got a contract on my house today down in Florida.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
OMG Nancy, I'm so happy for you! It sounds like everything has finally totally fallen into place. Sorry, I have no input as to whether you should take your stuff along or buy new and start over fresh. It's kind of a personal choice.

It's funny cause I was just thinking about you yesterday and was wondering what had happened to you. Oh yeah~another story with a happy ending. Just remember to stay with us because you'll know all the first hand info now to help out some newbies. And besides, you're such a ray of sunshine here and I love reading your posts.

Hey Bones, congratulations.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
You go girl - glad it's nearly done. Good luck on the new job!!

If you really want to get a Floridian going say "well we did things differently up north" - or "When I lived up north we really knew how to do it right ... not like down here." (This is a joke) :-)

Anyway -- you have one foot in the state. You will enjoy Naples plus you are in close proximity to so many areas up and down the coast. Enjoy the job and observe. Congrats!!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Thank you Minniemom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Best of luck to you!! I'm sure you will love it. I can'twait to join you and get out of this crazy northern April weather!
Let us know how things are going!
Have a safe trip down.

I'll be watching YOUR progress now! GO GO GO!

Nancy

Old 04-13-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Thank you Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Nancy, good to hear from you. Thought they kidnapped you down there and held you hostage at your new employer. Hope you enjoy your new job and state.

Ps; Got a contract on my house today down in Florida.
I will enjoy my new job and state! And good for your on your contract! Things are looking UP UP UP!

Nancy

Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Hey Jammie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
OMG Nancy, I'm so happy for you! It sounds like everything has finally totally fallen into place. Sorry, I have no input as to whether you should take your stuff along or buy new and start over fresh. It's kind of a personal choice.

It's funny cause I was just thinking about you yesterday and was wondering what had happened to you. Oh yeah~another story with a happy ending. Just remember to stay with us because you'll know all the first hand info now to help out some newbies. And besides, you're such a ray of sunshine here and I love reading your posts.

Hey Bones, congratulations.
Jammie, yes!!! Can you believe it! What's meant to me will be...if we just learn to trust the process and go with the flow. As far as living accommodations, etc., everything just fell into perfect place. FLORIDA is where i am supposed to be>

NANCY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida