Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times

Advertisements

We will have the choice of health insurance plans provided by these carriers. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share - negative or positive - regarding the following providers? TIA!

HMO
PPO

BCBS

Oh, and feel free to ignore the links...I just did a copy and paste of the different providers - not as much interested by the different coverage provided - more interested in general experiences people have had or what general impressions people can share. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 01:41 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I have had United Health Care and loved it, no complaints. Make sure your doctors except the Insurance. I worked for a company that switched healthcare providers each year, and one year my PCP didn't except that insurance. So that may help to pick one.

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-05-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Thanks doggie - I knew there was one that I'd heard very good things about, and I'd thought it was United, but wasn't sure.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
We have BCBS and are very happy as well...ppo is what we have...

Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 PM

I actually am tempted to go with the PPO with BCBS of Florida. It's the pricier option, especially with a family plan, but have had it in the past and it's amazing the respect you get from doctors when you tell them you're on this, vs, the sighs when you tell them you have Humana HMO (what we have now and despise).

I also read that United doesn't require referrals. Wow, what a luxury that would be! Almost like having a PPO I guess.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
I used to have UHC and it was good.
I now have the BCBS PPO and have been very happy with them.

Just had surgery and the coverage was great and handled smoothly.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Have United now, but haven't met my deductible, so can't comment. The best plan that I've ever had was BCBS PPO. I've had it a couple of times and I loved it. It would always be my first choice.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:48 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
We will have the choice of health insurance plans provided by these carriers. Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share - negative or positive - regarding the following providers? TIA!

HMO
PPO

BCBS

Oh, and feel free to ignore the links...I just did a copy and paste of the different providers - not as much interested by the different coverage provided - more interested in general experiences people have had or what general impressions people can share. Thanks.
I have BCBS but having said that they all stink. We have individual policies. I used to have a small group till ot went to $1500.00 a month. Now my BCBS is around a $1000.00 for my wife and I. They have raised me twice this year alone with no claims what so ever. Have you ever seen the movie "Sicko"? The whole movie is on youtube by the way.

YouTube - Watch The Trailer for Michael Moore's 'SiCKO'

Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM

Oh, I whole-heartedly agree, Mango. The whole system is insane. when you consider the median household income is under $50K and people need to spend 20% of that on INSURANCE, there is little doubt in my mind that the estimates of 48 million uninsured are grossly under-stated. 95% of the people in this country work for small business which can offer a group rate, but not contribute a portion of costs. Up till now we have paid insurance on one of these "group" rates and it comes to $9600 a year - ***25% of my husband's gross income*** as a teacher for a private school. Sicko was a great movie, btw.

I also feel VERY fortunate that we will not only receive a choice in insurance, but receive an "affordable" group rate. This two tier society we're in the midst of forming in this country is very scary.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Oh, I whole-heartedly agree, Mango. The whole system is insane. when you consider the median household income is under $50K and people need to spend 20% of that on INSURANCE, there is little doubt in my mind that the estimates of 48 million uninsured are grossly under-stated. Sicko was a great movie, btw.

I also feel VERY fortunate that we will not only receive a choice in insurance, but receive an "affordable" group rate. This two tier society we're in the midst of forming in this country is very scary.
No Health Insurance Due To Lack Of Enema
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida