Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 AM

976 posts, read 1,110,978 times

Advertisements

The problem is a lot of good people, hard-working Americans and their families are leaving. So while it's nice to see FL's population decrease, it's not so nice to see the folks that you would like to stay leaving for other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:28 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Im a Peta and anti-growther.
You are soooo correct with this post !

Building is NOT sustainable industry. It wrecks the environment,
it wrecks our quality of life, it raises our taxes and most importantly,
displaces our wildlife.

Once another tacky condo development is built, the illegal
aliens who helped put it up are back in the parking lot of
Home Depot looking for work.

Almost any problem Florida suffers today has some of its
roots in growth and developer run local governments.

For all of you activist minded people, the developers have
NOT gone away during this real estate crash, they are
working behind the scenes raping zoning laws and making
it easier to assault an area when the economy picks up again.
Make sure you check your newspapers for stuff thats going
to be amended or proposed, and speak out about it !
Development and an increasing tax base is what has kept out taxes down. Why we have no state income tax and have always enjoyed a lower cost of living. That was the reason Florida has always been a retirement destination. You say it wrecks your quality of life. You have chicken and the egg problem here. There was no quality of life here before development, much was an uninhabitable swamp. The only quality of life you have here today is due to development. You are welcome to go live in the glades if you like. I have a feeling though you prefer your modern air conditioned home, maybe with a pool and all the conveniences that modern technology provides. And please don't tell me you live in a condo that would be the height of hypocrisy. People like you like to pretend to be environmentalists and take shots at others, but most are just paper tigers with a lot of talk but few walk the walk.
I am also curious, as someone who has lived in south Florida for 60 years, what exactly is all the wild life that has been killed off in Florida? When my family came here you didn't even go outside at dusk because the misquotes were so bad. Most of this paradise you enjoy here is man made. Even the beaches were sticker covered sand dunes you couldn't even get to and could not wait to leave when you did because you got eaten alive by the no-see-ems. Go out west, there are millions of acres of land you can just go live on and enjoy nature. If it doesn't kill you first.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:24 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
The only quality of life you have here today is due to development. You are welcome to go live in the glades if you like. I have a feeling though you prefer your modern air conditioned home, maybe with a pool and all the conveniences that modern technology provides. And please don't tell me you live in a condo that would be the height of hypocrisy. People like you like to pretend to be environmentalists and take shots at others, but most are just paper tigers with a lot of talk but few walk the walk.
Your totally off-base, petty and childish snipes, typical of the few rabid West Palm cheerleaders here, arent even worth commenting on.
On the other stuff, you are just flat out wrong except to say the quality of life I 'enjoy' is due to developers. Yes, it is...The insane traffic, trash, crime are all thanks to developers You really need to do some homework on what development is costing you.
Who do you think pays the service taxes and school taxes on increased population ? Roads ? Insurance ???
It appears you know as much about wildlife, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:55 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Your totally off-base, petty and childish snipes, typical of the few rabid West Palm cheerleaders here, arent even worth commenting on.
On the other stuff, you are just flat out wrong except to say the quality of life I 'enjoy' is due to developers. Yes, it is...The insane traffic, trash, crime are all thanks to developers You really need to do some homework on what development is costing you.
Who do you think pays the service taxes and school taxes on increased population ? Roads ? Insurance ???
It appears you know as much about wildlife, too.
yup. you live in a condo.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM

228 posts, read 536,360 times
Quote:
Im a Peta and anti-growther.
You are soooo correct with this post !

For all of you activist minded people, the developers have
NOT gone away during this real estate crash, they are
working behind the scenes raping zoning laws and making
it easier to assault an area when the economy picks up again.
Make sure you check your newspapers for stuff thats going
to be amended or proposed, and speak out about it !
So do you have any evidence?? How about an example?? Or are you just making claims based on your thoughts and feelings?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Not near enough.....what FL needs is back to back CAT 5's sweeping across the state to get rid of another million or so whiners.

I think it's good news, more water for us, great for the Everglades. They can all move to Texas or all those greener pastures in the Carolinas

Old 08-17-2009, 07:07 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Florida was not designed to carry 18 million people on her back. Too fragile from an environmental standpoint.

Hopefully they put a moratorium on new house construction in this state.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Default Florida's Population SHRINKS for the first time since 1946

This is pretty huge for someone who follows stats like me.

My Way News - Fla. population drops for 1st time since 1946

Last edited by Bo; 08-18-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I heard about that. And it's going to continue falling as less people retire there.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
I think the amount of people that are leaving Florida is higher than the estimate made by the reaserchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida