Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Crime in Sarasota has been about the same on average since 1999. Since the CItydata figures don't go further back then that, I suspect that it would probably be the same going back years before that as well.

Or, like the case of South Florida, crime might have been much WORSE in the 80s and 90s than it is today.
I lived in Sarasota from 1981 - 1997, moved away for 12 years and now we are back. Crime is MUCH BETTER today than when we moved there originally. We were the victims of quite a few crimes back then (lived in Laurel Park near downtown, and it was horrible, horrible!!!) People would NOT BELIEVE how many really bad scumbags used to be around, all over the parks like Island Park - I had THREE INCIDENCES in Sarasota of indecent exposure from these scumbags, was chased downtown by one, chased BY CAR by one, and we had 2 burglaries and one arson where we lived, also a peeping tom. If people read my posts from a couple years ago before we moved back they reflect my bad experiences there from that time. Today it's like a totally DIFFERENT TOWN!

These days this is a really nice place to live, almost ALL of the crime takes place in places like Newtown (Sarasota's "ghetto") and a couple of city neighbhorhoods on the north side of downtown. Downtown is beautiful and vibrant, and other than a few unfortunate homeless that one sees around the beautiful new library, there aren't many scary issues around there.

I really love this area, we live on the north end of town, yes off the "scary north Trail" hahah - but I LOVE the north Trail, it has all the colleges, the Asolo, Ringling Museum, car museum, Jungle Gardens and a lot of cool old 1950's motels. I just love that vintage funk! And we are close to all the best both Sarasota and Bradenton have to offer - less than 10 minutes to either downtown, 15 minutes to Lido Beach or Bradenton Beach, and 15 minutes down University Parkway for fantastic shopping and dining!

Yeah, we love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Doubtful. City Data is not up to date...
I checked the FDLE. In 1995, the "Violent Crime Index" for Sarasota County was 1833. In 2008, it was 1512.

- Florida Department of Law Enforcement

I really do think that in this information age, along with population growth over the past 15 years, we hear of "more" crime, even if in reality, crime has gotten better per capita.

It's a phenomena felt in West Palm Beach as well. Crime was awful in the 1980s and 1990s, and has been on a good downward trend since 2000. This year has been better than last (knock on wood), which was better than last. Yet you will find people who say that they want to leave because "the crime has gotten so bad," etc. etc...... I say, if they weren't complaining in the 1990s, when the violent crime index was several hundred points higher than it is today, they shouldn't complain that it has GOTTEN so bad today!

A lot of times, perception does not match reality.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I checked the FDLE. In 1995, the "Violent Crime Index" for Sarasota County was 1833. In 2008, it was 1512.

- Florida Department of Law Enforcement

I really do think that in this information age, along with population growth over the past 15 years, we hear of "more" crime, even if in reality, crime has gotten better per capita.

It's a phenomena felt in West Palm Beach as well. Crime was awful in the 1980s and 1990s, and has been on a good downward trend since 2000. This year has been better than last (knock on wood), which was better than last. Yet you will find people who say that they want to leave because "the crime has gotten so bad," etc. etc...... I say, if they weren't complaining in the 1990s, when the violent crime index was several hundred points higher than it is today, they shouldn't complain that it has GOTTEN so bad today!

A lot of times, perception does not match reality.

It could be that crime is seeping into THEIR neighborhoods, where 10-15 yrs ago, it didnt happen. I'm sure Orlando is the same way as WPB. 10-15 yrs ago, if you lived in a nice area of Orlando, it may have been a complete shock if a violent crime occured in one's community. Now, when I hear about a violent crime near me, Avalon Park, or Waterford Lakes, both nice communities, I'm not even suprised anymore. Crime is seeped in, the ghetto element has creeped in causing problems. 10-15 yrs ago, in Orlando, crime was far more isolated. I'm from WPB, I was born there. I know there are places that we once lived that we would probably never consider living in again, due to crime and very large demographic shifts.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense;
Crime is seeped in, the ghetto element has creeped in causing problems. 10-15 yrs ago, in Orlando, crime was far more isolated. I'm from WPB, I was born there. I know there are places that we once lived that we would probably never consider living in again, due to crime and very large demographic shifts.

I don't know where you used to live in West Palm, but there are places that you wouldn't have lived in 15 years ago that today are clean, safe, family neighborhoods, or vibrant shopping and entertainment districts. Instead of ghetto "seeping in," it has been removed and replaced.

The neighborhood right next to mine was featured on "Cracktown USA" in the 1980s.... now it's a gentrified historic neighborhood with couples, kids, and a dog park. Downtown WPB used to be known for crime, prostitutes, and ghetto. Now it's more vibrant, with Cityplace and highrise condos where run down shacks used to stand.

The majority of violent crime in WPB proper (not including unincorporated areas) is concentrated in a particular section of town. And yes, crime throughout the whole city is down significantly from 15 years ago.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM

[quote=TriMT7;11988249]I don't know where you used to live in West Palm, but there are places that you wouldn't have lived in 15 years ago that today are clean, safe, family neighborhoods, or vibrant shopping and entertainment districts. Instead of ghetto "seeping in," it has been removed and replaced. That's true. Raise taxes on the ones living near downtown, pushing them out, renovate, and then others can move in.

The neighborhood right next to mine was featured on "Cracktown USA" in the 1980s.... now it's a gentrified historic neighborhood with couples, kids, and a dog park. Downtown WPB used to be known for crime, prostitutes, and ghetto. Now it's more vibrant, with Cityplace and highrise condos where run down shacks used to stand. Downtown looks a lot better than it used to. There are still some areas of downtown that I wouldnt consider "safe" though. I know people were walking around, eating out at City Place, and a lot of the "ghetto element" would go there too, harassing others, beating on the windows while they were eating, and so forth. Not that it couldnt happen anywhere, but a lot of the area around downtown is run down, but like I said, no that much different from other medium to larger sized cities' downtowns.

The majority of violent crime in WPB proper (not including unincorporated areas) is concentrated in a particular section of town. And yes, crime throughout the whole city is down significantly from 15 years ago. Glad to hear it! I still have family there, so I like to hear that!

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
That's true. Raise taxes on the ones living near downtown, pushing them out, renovate, and then others can move in.
I think some good old fashioned eminent domain may have played a part. I think the city actually bought up the distressed property and sold it to developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense
Downtown looks a lot better than it used to. There are still some areas of downtown that I wouldnt consider "safe" though. I know people were walking around, eating out at City Place, and a lot of the "ghetto element" would go there too, harassing others, beating on the windows while they were eating, and so forth. Not that it couldnt happen anywhere, but a lot of the area around downtown is run down, but like I said, no that much different from other medium to larger sized cities' downtowns.
Anything South of Banyan is safe to be out and about.

For what it's worth, I lived IN Cityplace for a year, never had a problem. I now eat lunch and/or dinner at Cityplace/Clematis multiple times a week, with no problem. Downtown instituted a curfew for "under 18" past 11PM, and that is credited with reducing nuisance, crime, etc.

The majority of violent crime in WPB proper (not including unincorporated areas) is concentrated in a particular section of town. And yes, crime throughout the whole city is down significantly from 15 years ago. Glad to hear it! I still have family there, so I like to hear that![/quote]

Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
When I went to WPB for a concert at the fairgrounds in October I thought it was pretty nice around that area. Said to the wife I wouldn't mind living around there.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
When I went to WPB for a concert at the fairgrounds in October I thought it was pretty nice around that area. Said to the wife I wouldn't mind living around there.

Parts of WPB are nice, I was actually born there. But I've read your posts and I think I know what you're looking for in a new place to live, and I think you should, "head north young man," lol.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Parts of WPB are nice, I was actually born there. But I've read your posts and I think I know what you're looking for in a new place to live, and I think you should, "head north young man," lol.
Oh trust me, I am...LOL... N. FL it will be, if not there, NC or back to MA for the LAST TIME, AND I MEAN LAST TIME.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Right now in my part of the state I'm walking the dog with flip flops and shorts. No shirt needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida