Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 PM

109 posts, read 392,903 times

Advertisements

It was determined long ago that the 2am rule was the agreed upon time that liquor sales should cease.....a compromise if you will that became the established norm. Drunkenness in the evening hours was quite a big deal especially when it ran head on into the start of the next day.

My understanding is businesses don't close @ 2am, rather it's unlawful to serve alcohol past 2am which of course forces establishments to close as well since profit can no longer be made.

....why does it always seem like the moralist's are always cleaning up after the immoral.....I guess we ARE stupid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,389,656 times
when Miami is refered to as a 3rd world country its because recent immigrants have taken over the city fleeing 3rd world latin countries.It has nothing to do with nightclubs,some are very posh that many cant even afford to go to.

The attraction with leaving Miami and going elsewhere has more to do with landscape,less traffic (in some cases),more affordable housing and going to a area where english is actually stillthe primary language.It has nothing to do with finding area that closes at 2am instead of 4am.

"people leaving a bar drunk and driving at all hours in the morning"......is there a acceptable time to leave a bar drunk then drive?

But still.like I said I made my decision too leave Miami and its not that huge of a issue to me to make me want to go back.I was just looking for a valid reason regarding the law to what the difference is to whether a club is open till 2 or 4am...

Old 05-12-2007, 09:09 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondax View Post
It was determined long ago that the 2am rule was the agreed upon time that liquor sales should cease.....a compromise if you will that became the established norm. Drunkenness in the evening hours was quite a big deal especially when it ran head on into the start of the next day.

My understanding is businesses don't close @ 2am, rather it's unlawful to serve alcohol past 2am which of course forces establishments to close as well since profit can no longer be made.

....why does it always seem like the moralist's are always cleaning up after the immoral.....I guess we ARE stupid.
So anyone who likes to go out at night in immoral? I remember when you could go to a movie at 2 in the morning. By the way what is the "2 am rule"? The state has very few beverage rules they are left mostly up to the cities. who said it is unlawful to serve alcohol past 2am?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondax View Post

ugh..its called responsibilty....if you gotta work the next day people should have the responsibilty to know better.And those that dont.will probably drink after they get home from the bar anyway.What about people who dont drink yet like to dance,play music and socialize....is leaving a place at 4am gonna create some moralistic emergency..?

And please dont call me immoral you dont know me.Funny thing is that in "moral" areas there is probably at least as much "immoral" activity done is just done in secret.

any...sheesh.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,268 times
This was set in place to keep drunk drivers off the road in the rush hour drive.
Most people that get killed in a crash are the sober people. Most drunk drivers cash 11:30 to 4:00 am.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
This was set in place to keep drunk drivers off the road in the rush hour drive.
Most people that get killed in a crash are the sober people. Most drunk drivers cash 11:30 to 4:00 am.
ok.I can understand that,a valid reason.Though,weekends there is not a rush hour to go to work.And Hondax,if firemed's quote was what you were trying to say I missed that the first time...my appolgies.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
No, the worst is the drinker who after work hits a bar for Happy hour and downs like five or seven drinks in an hour and gets back on the busy roads. Sometimes even before the booze has fully kicked in.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:41 AM

217 posts, read 845,154 times
I'm not sure where the laws come from, but they exist and stay in place a long time before changing. It wasn't until recently up here that Meijer could start selling liquor at 10am on a Sunday...when I worked there you couldn't sell it til one (although people could buy beer....go figure). And the stores stop selling alcohol at one, while the bars have a license to do so til two. I was at an anniversary of a bar party and they decided to stay open til 6am, but everyone had to finish their drinks by 2:30 because if anyone had the alcohol when the license was past up, their bar could have been shut down.

So, of course, you could keep a bar open nightly til 6a, but first of all most people wouldn't stay out that late, and secondly wouldn't stay out that late if they couldn't continue buying alcohol. If they're not buying drinks, then the bars not making any extra money, so why stay open?

Old 05-13-2007, 06:54 AM

155 posts, read 473,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
when Miami is refered to as a 3rd world country its because recent immigrants have taken over the city fleeing 3rd world latin countries.It has nothing to do with nightclubs,some are very posh that many cant even afford to go to.

The attraction with leaving Miami and going elsewhere has more to do with landscape,less traffic (in some cases),more affordable housing and going to a area where english is actually stillthe primary language.It has nothing to do with finding area that closes at 2am instead of 4am.

"people leaving a bar drunk and driving at all hours in the morning"......is there a acceptable time to leave a bar drunk then drive?

But still.like I said I made my decision too leave Miami and its not that huge of a issue to me to make me want to go back.I was just looking for a valid reason regarding the law to what the difference is to whether a club is open till 2 or 4am...
Oh I didn't mean third world country immigration wise. I meant third world country in that people buy million dollar condos in Miami while there are homeless people everywhere. It kind of reminds when you go to other countries and wealthy people come in and build dream houses while just outside the door there are beggars.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 AM

109 posts, read 392,903 times
Lionking,
Can we at least agree that everyone is immoral at least part of the time?....and that our challenge is listening to our conscience before our immorality is full time and we become a "net loss" to sociality?

Lionking wrote:
Quote:
ok.I can understand that,a valid reason.Though,weekends there is not a rush hour to go to work.And Hondax,if firemed's quote was what you were trying to say I missed that the first time...my appolgies.
No apology needed as we are just expressing our thoughts and views here.

Macguy wrote:
Quote:
So anyone who likes to go out at night in immoral? I remember when you could go to a movie at 2 in the morning. By the way what is the "2 am rule"? The state has very few beverage rules they are left mostly up to the cities. who said it is unlawful to serve alcohol past 2am?
Of course,...yes. Even the priest who turns his lights off at 9pm is immoral.

Judging by how inconsistent and arbitrary drinking laws seem to be, I have to think our fine legislators voted on most of the bilge during election years to secure the votes of the moral majority which is becoming the moral minority.....

It's Sunday morning and I'm thirsty already.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida